Is salt good for you?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Taran_Las, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I've been told putting bowls of salt in the 'van helps to reduce moisture. Do you leave the salt in the bowls until spring or do you change the salt every week or so?

Thanks for any advice.

Phil

2. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

If the van is ventilated so more cold damp air can get in, I cannot see how a bowl of salt would absorb enough water to make any difference. The only thing that would keep it dry is heating the van, which is expensive and bad for the environment.

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Taranlass, After reading Peter's posting I don't know whether I've been wasting my time, but I alwys save those little sachets of - think it is silicone or something - that you find in new stationery or handbags (they look like little sachets of salt in crisps), and I scatter them around the van in drawers and the water tank container and cupboards for over winter. I hoped that they would help keep my van dry but just in a small way.:Cool:

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Phil, the salt bowls are not going to hurt anything.Rather than throw it away just pop them in the oven to dry out and use again :thumb:

movan, the name you want is silica gel crystals or desiccant - both work the same as salt :thumb:
    Personally I do not use anything but do put the heating on the day before we want to leave,spreading out the bedding etc, on the seats to warm up / air off.As Peter said it is a expensive hobby to keep things warm all the time and I am not sure as to which is better.If the heating is on very low this may create damp through condensation,and if it is high enough to dry out condensation it will be expensive :Eeek:You pays your money and makes your choice :Rofl1:
    PS as a foot note I put in a small thermostat controlled oil filled heater in the van set on anti frost setting alongside a min / max temp gage and it went down to 4 f and stayed on until 15 f so as such you will be heating up a lot more than people think :Eeek::Eeek::Rofl1:
    terry

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Forget the salt or heating ..

My advice, keep the van ventilated, roof vents open.. our RV has been in storage for four months, when I visited yesterday it was as dry as a bone, no damp, no condensation.. no musty smell..

keep the salt for your fish supper and your money for diesel :Wink:

6. Terry

Terry Funster

:thumb::thumb: Cannot fault that Jim :thumb: if the van is dry then it will be dry :Rofl1:the heater only serves to warm things up :Rofl1:
    terry

7. scotjimland

being a soft Englishman you are excused :Laughing:

8. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1::thumb: We use our van more in winter than summer :thumb: Not stored away
    terry

9. scotjimland

touchè :Laughing:

10. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Many thanks everyone.:Smile:

Phil

I'll have to buy rather a lot of fish and chips to use up the kilos of salt. Nevermind, I think I've got sufficient vinegar too!:Laughing: