is one door practical ?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by greyman1, Apr 9, 2012.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

i am looking at lhd hymer A classes at the moment and i have noticed that some of them dont have a drivers door . [nor a passenger one either] the only access is via the habitation door [on the off side.] how do people find this arrangement and given the choice of 2 vans, one with a drivers door and one without, would it be worth paying a premium for ? it seems that the models without the drivers door get an extra cupboard thing under the window. is this usefull or does it just make the cabin a bit cramped ?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Given the choice I would go for no cab doors. The reasons for this being 1-Less chance of a break-in, they always seem to go for the cab doors first. 2-The ones without the cab doors have quite a bit of storage there. When I had the RV I never used the drivers door and on the camper I have now there is no passenger door but a drivers door that I rarely use. I would much prefer the same amount of storage on my side as on the passenger side. Like most things regarding motorhomes its all a matter of personal choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJ

JJ Funster

I agree with Dave... I thought I would not like the single door in the Hymer but now I love it... for the exact same reasons as Snowbird... :thumb:

... the only downside is I keep forgetting to pull up the outside step and used to have to get out of the cab seat and back to the door to lift it... now I have a little Froggie Princess to do it for me... :Wink:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

wish i only had one door......i tend to fall out of the drivers door, but then it is 4ft off the ground :Rofl1:

5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Like JJ I have a cab door on my Hymer. It never gets used and now has an extra lock. I use the space to store things.

I find it is not possible to reach the machines at the Peage from the drivers door anyway so Joan deals with the machines and the step.

John