Is nearly 50 classed as a Newbie ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Greguk50, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Greguk50

Greguk50 Deleted User

Hi All ,
    As fast approaching 50 and life plans having been thrown out the window years ago , am looking to rent my house out for 6 mths and tour France ... plus other parts of Europe for Moto-GP photographic duties !

Am therefore looking to buy a suitable MH for the job , but wait you've guessed it WHERE do I start ?

Have already been seduced by the comfort and gadgets of an American RV ... but not the MPG ... [is LPG really worth the conversion cost or just go diesel] ...then theres the clinical build of the European units such as Hymer ! am really lost to know where to start.

So my overall criteria is a practicle "live in" MH , easy to drive , better than 15MPG , with space for me and two Belgian Shepeards {dogs not the people} !

Any help greatfully received and thanks in advance !

Greg R

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  2. weymard

weymard Read Only Funster

:thumb: Welcome to the forum !
    As you I am seduced by US Motor Home ! If the mpg is a major problem go to German MH, but for a very best quality and same price I shall prefer Flair by Niesman Bischoff :thumb::thumb::thumb: or Carthago :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: really the best of !

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi Greg and welcome to FUN.

i dont think you'll gain a lot with a diesel in an RV from what i've seen on other posts.

LPG will be about the same MPG as petrol , maybe slightly less, but half the cost per liter so twice the miles per pound/euro.

buy one ready converted and save the painful cost of conversion.

john

4. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

hello and welcome.
    To your accomodation requirements-----have you considered fifth wheel. you have a large living area but also a vehicle which you can use whilst trailer is parked up. Not sure of fuel consumption on towing vehicle. I am sure Nigel from Sundowner will be able to answere those questions as he runs a dodge with fifth wheel. there is of course the options of euro fifth wheel, a bit lighter and can be towed using a lighter truck, eg. Nissan, toyota, or land rover. food for thought.

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Greg, the Motorhome Shows happen all year, they are a great place to see and sit in lots of diferent motorhomes. Sit in enough and you will start to get an idea of exactly what you want. That's the hard bit. After that, tracking down the model you want at the right price is pretty easy at the moment. Best of luck and welcome to the fun. :thumb:

6. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome as Jim said the shows are the best place to start, I was told that you will buy three times before you find the one that suits, I didn't think so.

We are on our third van :Eek!:

Roy