Is Nature Pure Actually "Worth" It?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JJ, Oct 17, 2011.

1. JJ

JJ Funster

Forgetting, for the purpose of this thread, the initial £150-£200 purchase price and overlooking the undoubted convenience factor, I pose this question...

What price is Nature Pure drinking water?

I fitted mine at the RW Funster Meet in April.

The water flow through the filter has slowed right down...

On the box of my spare filter it says I should replace the cartridge "when the water flow slows down".

It appears that a new cartridge now costs £55-£60

£60 in six months... £10 per month... "£2.50 per week...":Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: (and I only use it for drinking and coffee making... not swimming in...)

How many five litre bottles of water can you buy for £2.50 from the supermarket?...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. aba

aba

hey JJ your not supposed to be filling your tank from the canal you know:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    but seriously maybe the initial filter has taken all the crud out of your tank so subsequent filters may last longer.
    or fit one of those bigger dockside pre-filters inline before your nature pure.
    although it does say it only lasts for around 500 litres which is only 1000 coffees and if your consumption of coffee is high say 8 cups a day plus a couple of cups of water per day.
    so at 5 litres a day 6 months is about right.
    but buying 5 litres a day from a supermarket works out more expensive than £2.50 a week

3. Sea Star

Sea Star Read Only Funster

New to this forum, currently live on a boat and we use the Seagull 1V from the same manufacturer, the initial cost is more, about £340, but the filter is £66. This allows us over 12 months use as full time liveabaords (on a boat) Like you drinking water, hot drinks etc. Seems very good value to me, also means I don't have to lug heavy bottles about. Gives you twice the capacity of the Nature Pure one, but probably not much help to you now :RollEyes:

4. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Hi JJ:thumb:

We fitted one recently and frankly love it, we don't like the taste of tap water, but the nature pure is loverly, obviously takes out whatever we don't like so good, and on, err, tap:Rofl1:

As said already no lugging bottled about and I worked out we use around £250-£300s worth of bottle annually so easy saving over the price of the filter:thumb:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If it has slowed up that quickly JJ you must have some crud in your tanks and this is blocking the filter. Have you tried giving the filter a rinse, it might work, most people get at least a year, :thumb:

6. laneside

laneside Funster

[​IMG]Save on brewing up gas also JJ you know it makes sense ----- CHEERS

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Is that the crud they are talking about?

Use your head man.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Not really advised but back wash the filter JJ

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Mine used to last over a year each time. Not got one in the current van and am getting fed up of lugging bottle water everytime I see a suspicious tap on a campsite.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if the flow slows, you need a new filter.....

a Eurovans water system runs at around 13/15psi....

my RV, as with most, runs at 45psi

if the flow is low and the filter is ready for changing in a Eurovan, you can give the old ones to me....I can get another two lifetimes out of them before the flow slows :thumb: :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi. do you have a seperate tap for drinking water or does all the water go through the filter?
    i use a different system but only put drinking water through it.

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Simple answer..... NO.

13. pappajohn

separate tap......no point in filtering ALL the water used :Wink:

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I only used two filters in three years full timing with a family, JJ .. so I also reckon you have either picked up crud or have a very dirty source ..

so from my experience it is great value for money

15. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Filling up from UK and European drinking water sources? So why filter at all?

• Like Like x 1
  16. pappajohn

simple answer Tony....your tank interior.

you will never completely empty the tank and pipework and bacteria can, and will, grow in there.
    sanitising a couple of times a year may help, but what about the months on end where a little water is left in the tank between sanitation jobs ?

personally I've never had a problem, but I do have a strong stomach, I must have with some of the crap I shove in it...use by dates don't apply, if it smells OK then it is OK :Wink:, whereas Shirl easily gets stomach bugs.

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes i find in europe that the water quality is fine . i also find most of morocco etc fine. its just sometimes if wilding in way out places you might need to take river or lake water. i catch rain water as well if need be. but again seperate drinking water means filters last ages. mine is a doulton ceramic candle filter with silver inlay . you can acxtually scrub it to remove dirt build up. the silver does the purification .

• Like Like x 2
  18. tony_g

tony_g Funster

I guess I must share your strong stomach:BigGrin:
    I periodically flush through with some sort of Campden tablet/Milton/Domestos type solution but I find that during 6-8 week trips the frequent fresh topping up and healthy throughput delivers fresh smelling palatable water. I don't really worry too much except when the tank sits unused between times when a flush through is warranted before leaving home again.

Don't think I would invest in installing an onboard filter system - maybe a jug filter to sit in the fridge.

There are times when our home Severn Trent supply is so heavily chlorinated that it's a bit like swallowing at the local swimming pool, though! :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

a couple of washing outs with chlorinated water is all you need to clean your tank. unless you are alergic to it .i have a mate that is he uses nature pure all the time.

20. JJ

JJ Funster

Given that I have been using the water directly from my tanks for ten years (boiling for coffee obviously) and refilling twice a week at least and have suffered no hint of illnesses, I don't think I have that much "crud" in my tanks (and that which I have had has exercised my defences.)

But I do agree with Jim about pressures though.... my Nature Pure is still delivering water (via its own, separate tap,) but just slower than before.

Maybe I am contemplating a new cartridge far too early. I am determined to continue using this one until it stops all together!

Then I have a spare cartridge which I bought with the kit (several years ago) and I reckon I only paid £35 for it... so use that one up and then review the situation... maybe my gravy train will be back trundling down the track once more...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Crumbs, just reread this and it really is boring... I am definitely getting old... sorry...:Wink:

• Like Like x 1