Is my SP charging my batteries? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Update. All seems to be good. The yellow light (which has never operated before) is blinking fast and the leisure battery voltage is climbing. Next put it all back together and find out about the mobile app.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Update. All seems to be good. The yellow light (which has never operated before) is blinking fast and the leisure battery voltage is climbing. Next put it all back together and find out about the mobile app.
Mobile App. Pray tell more. I love Apps:D

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Excuse me if I've missed something along the way but..,

Who fitted these panels?
How could the wires have got crossed?
Did solar panels ever work?

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Okay.

It was Southdowns Motorhomes who fitted my system.
No idea.
We have never been off EHU long enough to really notice if the SP was working or not.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Okay.

It was Southdowns Motorhomes who fitted my system.
No idea.
We have never been off EHU long enough to really notice if the SP was working or not.
That being the case shouldn't Southdows fix the problem under warranty?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
That being the case shouldn't Southdows fix the problem under warranty?
That would mean me having to do a nearly 200 mile round trip with the associated lost of time etc. I know that under the Consumer Rights Act I can claim all of my costs and expenses for loss of times etc. but I will content myself with talking to them and letting others know that in my opinion they cannot be trusted. I wonder if they will see this thread / post?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That would mean me having to do a nearly 200 mile round trip with the associated lost of time etc. I know that under the Consumer Rights Act I can claim all of my costs and expenses for loss of times etc. but I will content myself with talking to them and letting others know that in my opinion they cannot be trusted. I wonder if they will see this thread / post?
I have the same issue with my van
We're based in Sussex and our dealer is in Doncaster - don't mind going all that way for annual service, but having to go, just to put right their cock ups is a different matter
I feel your pain, but believe that many dealers are the same
Can't imagine they will read this
Or be bothered too much, even if they did
Plenty more customers coming through the door

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
2 - 3. Why, I have no idea, but the green light does flash as well as remain steady sometimes. It seems flick between the two management states. If there is a specific reason you will have to ask @eddievanbitz as they fitted it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@Zigisla Hi,

When you looked at your unit what pin position (bridge) had been set if any?
I have the same unit and don't use the jumper on the pins. This make it follow the best charging algorithm. You should have been given the manual, it's physically tiny, which explains this.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Its very complicated.

In essence, you can add a device that will be powered directly from the solar panel once the MPPT regulator has "nearly" charged the battery

To stop that "nearly" becoming the "norm" the disconnect voltage varies from day to day

The jumper and the flashing of the green light are connected to this process.

As there is no load connected the "shut off" voltage isn't initialised

I was joking about the "complicated" bit lol)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Pins 2 and 3 are bridged on mine but having read the manual again I may remove it.
The only problem with this unit is it is just too clever! If you dig into it you will find you can re-program it and alter parameters by connecting it to a computer. Of course 99.999% of users will have no need to do this. The jumper is the same, I can't see why you would want to use it, but it is there if you do. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

I should send a copy of your letter to Hymer Head Office in Germany! Probably cost you the best part of £1k to have the panel and controller fitted by the Hymer dealer and it hasn't worked since - How atrocious is that! Not only negligent but incompetent by the sound of it!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I should send a copy of your letter to Hymer Head Office in Germany! Probably cost you the best part of £1k to have the panel and controller fitted by the Hymer dealer and it hasn't worked since - How atrocious is that! Not only negligent but incompetent by the sound of it!
It was clearly never tested after installation.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm sure Hymer may have some interest but only to have a good laugh as the van is actually a Carthago.:rofl:

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It was clearly never tested after installation.
I have spoken to one of the Directors / Owner of Southdowns and frankly whilst he promised this and that I have no real hope of anything changing. This is not the first time they have let me down but will be the last.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@Zigisla Hi,

When you looked at your unit what pin position (bridge) had been set if any?
My take on the jumper is that it's position is irrelevant unless you have anything connected to the load terminals. It determines the point at which it turns off the load if there isn't enough sunlight coming in day by day to keep the batteries in good condition.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I'm sure Hymer may have some interest but only to have a good laugh as the van is actually a Carthago.:rofl:

Well if you'd given the make and model in your first post I wouldn't have assumed it was a Hymer for some reason!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back