Is my solar regulator faulty?? (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have an Schaudt EBL220 with a LR1218 solar regulator which I fitted probably 18 months ago and has worked fine. This morning when I went to MH and was looking at the panel the display was showing very high amps input into leisure and starter battery even though both fully charged as left on EHU. I've pulled the fuse, unplugged the regulator and reset the panel but when all plugged back in still shows high amps as in attached pics.

Is my regulator kaput? I've been thinking about replacing it with a LRM1218 anyway.

Cheers Dave.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am not at all technical, but would doubt the panel could ever generate that many amps even on a Mediterranean midday in full sun, a grey UK day my output will read in mA's not Amps

What does it normally read when on EHU?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it is more likely your control panel is faulty, not possible to get that sort of power from solar at this time of year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As Lenny says, it's not possible to generate 20 amps plus at this time of year from the size of panels you could fit on a motorhome. Since the LR1218 can handle a maximum of 18 amps anyway, I cannot see that such a high current could ever have been generated from your solar system. That suggest a failure of the DT220 panel. Have you looked at the DT220 manual for guidance on strange settings?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Is it possible to read amps into/out of battery total as opposed to amps generated by solar? If so what are they? If they are normal suggests shunt inside ebl is ok.
You could try disconnecting "data" link ( multiway plug with tiny wires) from lr1218 to ebl ( on my ebl101) and see if reading goes down to zero for solar input thus making fault in lr1218.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
When I unplug the LR1218 from the EBL it registers 0. The panel is performing everything else ok which made me think it was the regulator.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As @SandraL says looks like it is the feed from the shunt int the LR1218 that is causing the problem, the regulator part is still probably working OK.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds like it, oh well gives me an excuse to buy the LRM1218 :)

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well an update. I bit the bullet and bought a new LRM1218 from www.wholesalesolar.co.uk (fantastic customer service and very reasonable in price).

I installed the solar panels and LR1218 approx 18 months ago and sited the regulator under the passenger seat next to the EBL, so first job was to remove the seat which was no problem. When I removed the old regulator I noticed it seemed to have condensation on it which was very puzzling to me! The solar input connections on the old regulator were standard crimp terminals but on the new one its crimp pins so I cut the old terminals off the solar wires and went into the garage to find my crimp pin terminals but didn't have any left so off I went to buy some more.

When I returned (approx 40 mins) I noticed the smallest of droplets of water dripping from both the + and - solar wires, dripping from the actual strands and not the sheathing etc. which indicated water entering the wires which could only be from the junction box on the roof where the 2 solar panels are linked to the single solar cable coming into the MH so after climbing onto the roof and removing the lid of the junction box, I found it half full of water!! After inspecting it closely I found a hairline crack near the base of the junction box.

So this was the reason for the original solar regulator to fail, water ingress (granted only a very small amount) as I took it apart and could see the circuit board pitted and a capacitor had come off the circuit board hence giving me duff info. Must have only started with all this heavy rain as I use the MH regular and only noticed the duff solar information last week.

I've now replaced the junction box on the roof and allowed the strands to dry before connecting the new regulator.

All working fine now :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the update, I think we might have been a long time working that out from the symptons.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Good result, if it were me I would replace the cables as corrosion will have started and will only get worse, as you know Murphy's Law they will fail when you most need them.
Thanks for letting us know the result, so many people don't bother to give an update when they have fixed the problem.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah I know, it could only be 1 of 2 things, the regulator or the main control panel and since everything else was ok just the solar input reading very high it could only be down to the regulator but at least I know why it failed! I'm glad if run out of crimp pin connectors which have enough time for a drip of water to appear or else maybe in another 6 months or so I could have had another one fail and I wouldn't have realised the hairline crack in the junction box(y)

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Good result, if it were me I would replace the cables as corrosion will have started and will only get worse, as you know Murphy's Law they will fail when you most need them.
Thanks for letting us know the result, so many people don't bother to give an update when they have fixed the problem.
I did think about that so that's my next job :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back