Is my MH Road Tax amount correct? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry if this is boring or repetitive, but this is the first time that I have (personally) taxed the MH.

When I did the checker, the website gave a figure of £225 for 12 months (rate from April 2014)
The renewal notice however gave £230.

On the V5, the vehicle is a down as a Motor Caravan PLG 3,500kg gross.

Apart from the discrepancy of a fiver, does this sound right?

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks PJ.
It's a 2014 van. Euro 5 and all that. Sounded a lot to me. Don't know how there's a fiver difference either. Not worth chasing though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Oh well. Joys of motorhoming I guess. Thanks boys.

James

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Just had our through the letterbox this morning too. £230 euro5 etc 2013 Fiat based Pilote.

Slightly off topic does anyone know anything about surrendering the VED now no disc is issued, You cant send the tax disc back when you don't have one can you?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Just had our through the letterbox this morning too. £230 euro5 etc 2013 Fiat based Pilote.

Slightly off topic does anyone know anything about surrendering the VED now no disc is issued, You cant send the tax disc back when you don't have one can you?

It's supposed to be automatic now, they issue a refund as soon as you declare SORN or they recieve your V5?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dvla-reminds-customers-of-new-refund-rules

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It just comes through the post automatically (y) with the transfer of ownership :) Only thing to watch is they try to get the new owner to tax vehicle from the beginning of the month you sell IE sell jan 20th (van still taxed until 1st feb or longer)and they try to get you to re tax from 1 st jan -make sure you tax from 1 st feb as it is already taxed until end of jan -no partial mths refund - they then send the previous owner any full mths tax refund
terry

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It just comes through the post automatically (y) with the transfer of ownership :) Only thing to watch is they try to get the new owner to tax vehicle from the beginning of the month you sell IE sell jan 20th (van still taxed until 1st feb or longer)and they try to get you to re tax from 1 st jan -make sure you tax from 1 st feb as it is already taxed until end of jan -no partial mths refund - they then send the previous owner any full mths tax refund
terry

I am not sure you are right here Terry, if you show it as being sold on the 1st, DVLA I think will then not refund the seller for that month as it has had a part day taxed

We never did get refunds on part months as sellers anyway, in the whole scheme of buying a MH the added cost of one months full tax for only part of the month is not really a big deal

The good thing is it means the buyer has to have insurance in place before moving it (or at least is much more likely to do it before collection rather than when getting home :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am not sure you are right here Terry, if you show it as being sold on the 1st, DVLA I think will then not refund the seller for that month as it has had a part day taxed

We never did get refunds on part months as sellers anyway, in the whole scheme of buying a MH the added cost of one months full tax for only part of the month is not really a big deal

The good thing is it means the buyer has to have insurance in place before moving it (or at least is much more likely to do it before collection rather than when getting home :)
Read my post again David -I am saying same as you -if I sold van on any day in jan they refund from 1st feb ---but they also try to get new keeper to tax for jan when in fact its taxed until end of jan -meaning new keeper should tax from feb 1st - The refund comes through auto in a small brown envelope that is just the size of the chq :D looks weird;)
terry
Edit --it's time you sold me that Toyota -I'LL open bidding at 5k :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Once the DVLA receive notification the vehicle is sold the tax is cancelled, even though it would have been paid for until the end of the month.

Quote from DVLA site:
"From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle."

Every time a vehicle is sold that sill has tax paid, they get two months tax for the month it is sold in.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When I traded my scooter in I had an automatic tax refund cheque arrive a couple of weeks later for ............ £2.35 refund, taxed my Mo Ho yesterday PHG and it was £165, proof of taxing with dates arrived within minutes on e-mail, when I did this it took me to a direct debit page for payment, Just the MOT and full service next week now.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've know the amount to pay be different from the one on the renewal notice. If the rate changes between when the notice is printed and when you actually come to tax the vehicle you pay the new rate not the one on the notice.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've not told mine (Insurance Co.)
The Form from SV Tech said that the 'Design Weight' (Max) was 3700kgs and nothing has changed???.
Not having done anything to the 'van to get this piece of paper, and with everything else being within limits, then nothing has changed, (other than new speed limits to contend with under certain circs., a different ticket to obtain to travel in certain countries, not being able to travel along certain roads and enter certain villages, having a medical when I get to 70yrs old and a few quid less to pay).

I can feel a "What did the Romans ever do for us" moment coming along.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back