Is my Leisure Battery shot?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Langtoftlad, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Just two days off grid - don't think I've been heavily using my 12v supply...
    LED lighting, maybe 5hrs TV, maybe 3hrs Endless Breeze fan, phone charging, water pump as & when... which is why I'm asking at 3am...
    Got up to go to the loo, switched on water pump to power the flush and noticed the onboard meter dive into the red, then the led lights started flickering :eek:!

Just got a multi meter across the terminals - 12.13v with no load (using a torch :))

Which I believe is equal to 50% is dangerously low....

So I was plugged in before setting off Sunday, then 100+ mile drive. Parked up overnight, then another 100+ mile drive here.

When I first got the van, I had 4 days at Lyndon Top no ehu.

Typically I'm on a trip so need to get it sorted if I need to...
    Going to York next & then Whitby both with hook up but then 2 more days Britstop + 3 days at Dunstan Hill Alnwick without ehu before getting an electric pitch.

Should I risk it or get a replacement on the way to York?
    Of course I have no tools, I'm lethal when it comes to practical.
    So I'd need it fitted.
    There's apparently an outfit called Battery Solutions York - heard of them.
    http://www.batterysolutionsyork.co.uk/index.html
    Would Halfords fit, they have a bargain 115Ah at £90
    http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...ctrical-power/halfords-leisure-battery-115-ah

Should I risk it, or get a new one at "retail" prices...

2. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

If the Battery Solutions outfit is known to you and on your way, given their field of expertise, presumably they can be trusted to test your battery and confirm if it's shot? At least then you would know and can act appropriately.

Do you have solar to help keep batteries topped up when not on hook up?

3. Petest

Petest Funster

Have you room for a second battery?

If so, get 2 new ones. Get one fitted to replace the existing and have the other installed when you get home.
    If there's room alongside the 1st battery, have them both installed at the same time.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Without full knowledge of what amps hrs you started with and what amp hrs you have consumed
    We are as wise as you,
    you don't exactly sound like a frugal user that's for sure.-----LED Lights AND Fans!!!!:Eeek: whats going on ere then :doh:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Langtoftlad

@Geo LED's are low wattage - aren't they o_O ?
    So, I thought was an Endless Breeze fan.
    I appreciate that I don't know what I started with, except that I assumed a fully charged 110Ah battery.
    I thought I was quite a frugal user :unsure:... Last year I did a 5-6 day trip, all Britstop, no ehu without problems, don't think I've dramatically changed/increased usage pattern ( apart from +/- 3h fan) - hence my shock that battery is 50% after just 2 days.

@Petest Yes, I do have room nearby for a second battery but my issue today, is the current one knacked. As above, I don't believe my usage has increased 3x as before I could be away 4 days at least without making a dent.

@RowleyBirkinQC No, no solar haven't needed it up to now, managed fine for several nights up to now, and no - Battery Solutions isn't known to me, I was hoping someone might know of them - or recommend an alternative ?

Anyway thanks for the comments so far (y)

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Endless breeze fan 3 amps maximum, presumably it has different speed settings so the amps draw could be less. Used for a few hours could take a decent chunk from a single 110 ah battery.

Edit, just re read OP and three hours fan so not a lot but with 5 hrs TV it all adds up, and possibly your battery capacity is not what it used to be.

Martin

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

TV..... Just one item to be aware of.
    You need to look at the wattage on the back.. It could be one that takes 4 amps an hour or as low as 1.5 amps..
    Big difference in consumption and 5 hours a day adds up..

8. Langtoftlad

I think I have a "numpty's" plan...

Tonight - Hook up on EHU for 24hrs, meter the battery to check it is actually being charged - the reading should be somewhere like 14.4v if it is, shouldn't it ???

Hopefully after 24h it should be fully charged (reading about 12.7v) ???

Wednesday night, use as normal (apart from fan), see what meter I have on Thurs & see if I have a problem ???

If I do, see if Battery Solutions can solve it - or if Funsters recommend an alternative supply & fitter ???

Is this a plan or just daft?
    I don't even know what type of battery it is :whistle:.I presume sealed lead acid ???

IMG_20160607_041227-480x853.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

With my maths for the TV of a possible 4/2 amps x 5 hours x 2 days = 40/20 amps
    @Funflairs. 3amps x 3 hours x 2 days = 18 amps

You can easily see how it adds up.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Have you been parked up for 2 days or did you move? It obviously makes a difference. On your last tour if you were moving to a new Britstop each day then you would have been charging as you were driving.

Fag packet calcs:

Assume your battery was fully charged your 110ah would give you 55ah usable.

Endless Breeze - max 3 amps x 3 hours = 9 amps
    TV, don't know what you have so have used my Avtex - 1.9A x 5 hours = 9.5amps
    Phone charging, lights, pump - hard to say for sure so lets call it 5 amps.

I'm assuming your fan and TV use was over the two days and not per day. If it was per day then that brings your usage to 45amps ish which explains your problem, especially, as Martin says, your battery isn't operating at full capacity.

Do you have any solar panels? If not with that sort of usage maybe it's time to invest

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

12. Langtoftlad

I think I have a "numpty's" plan...

Tonight - Hook up on EHU for 24hrs, meter the battery to check it is actually being charged - the reading should be somewhere like 14.4v if it is, shouldn't it ???

Hopefully after 24h it should be fully charged (reading about 12.7v) ???

Wednesday night, use as normal (apart from fan), see what meter I have on Thurs & see if I have a problem ???

If I do, see if Battery Solutions can solve it - or if Funsters recommend an alternative supply & fitter ???

Is this a plan or just daft?
    I don't even know what type of battery it is :whistle:.I presume sealed lead acid ???

13. Langtoftlad

Sorry posted twice.
    The TV is a 22" Finlux, the label is hidden by the bracket :rolleyes:
    The fan has only been used on lowest setting (1Ah?) and has been the only change to my usage as far as I know.

There has been 100+ miles between Britstops....

14. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

just had similar situation, sounds like the battery is on its way to the big battery heaven in the sky

If its any help, mine became predictable, same use each night and it started to bleep [van elec. panel] at the same time, 2 am every morning

At day break the solar put it back to usable, 12.6v

So while i way away I switched everything off at night and when i got home i fitted two new batteries
    My batteries would come back to 12.6 volts, off charge, after charge , but didn't have any capacity so they dropped away rapidly during the night, when they got to 11v the camper beeped and dumped the power

Consider fitting a second battery if you have the space, but buy two batteries at the same time and the same spec, been at home makes this easier (y)

I bought these because they fitted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-110Ah-...909541?hash=item3aaede5525:g:mU8AAOSw8vZXMyKf
    but other recommend these , but I couldn't fit them because of space, I would have chose these as they are a better battery http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-110Ah-...323463?hash=item3abd8e4f87:g:jpoAAOSwe7BWvfV-

Check @Techno article as he has the spec on the second batteries

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

The trouble is a 110 amp battery doesn't give that only about 50% so maybe 55 to 60 amps and your getting low

• Like Like x 2
  16. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

I think you have the same batteries as me XV110
    they are not a pure leisure battery, they also have a starting capability , but i don't have a choice because of space
    I fitted the second under a bench seat locker, in a battery box. I used jump lead cables cut down to connect them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The ones Halfrauds are doing are excellent.. and quite well priced considering their no quibble two year warranty

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

TVs are all very much alike so that number won't be a million miles away.

If the fan has only been used on it's lowest it will obviously be less than 3 amps but I wouldn't assume that each speed consumes an equal third of the power.

Finally do you know how well your battery was charged before you set off? 100 miles (2 hours ish?) is nothing like long enough to properly charge it via the alternator if it was getting low. If for example it was only at 75% when you set out, you take another 20% out through use but then on your drive the alternator may have only put 15% back in. Then the next night your usage is enough to take flatten it.

(Those figures are just to demonstrate the example. I know they probably aren't accurate.)

I think your plan of getting it on hook up for 24 hours and taking it from there is probably the best thing to do. (y)

Going forward I think you're going to need to have a think. If you're planning to be off grid a lot with one battery and no solar panel you're always going to run the risk of this happening.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Unless your van charger is extremely clever then to put back 110Ah (+30 for normal battery losses = 140Ah) will take more than 30 hours assuming you don't use appliances at the same time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

But if the battery is kaput it won't have any capacity, mine would come back quickly, voltage wise but discharge just as quickly