Is my Electroblock faulty ? (1 Viewer)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The van has just been plugged into the mains supply, all 240v working fine.

Both batteries showing 12.7v with zero going into them.

If I start the engine, the panel shows around 15amps going in, so the batteries are certainly willing to accept charge.

Have checked all fuses (ebl, engine, battery locker) all appear fine. Have tried various combinations of turning everything off and on....

The electroblock however is making a clicking sound (similar to a clock tick)

Any suggestions before I contact http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ in the morning ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do everything you can to stop the tick and re-start it. Just saying tick might not get you anywhere unless it's a common fault.

So does it stop off hook up ?
Pull each fuse in turn, does it stop ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like the one of the internal relays is failing to switch so has probably developed a fault. As an alternative to A&N I would suggest an email to Udo lang at Schaudt. He is very helpful and recently arranged for my EBL to be repaired by them in Germany. It cost me £100 all in including some spare parts that I wanted from them. Of that, £56 was the postage cost to Germany (probably could have got it cheaper than using ParcelForce!). Their bill was €68 including the return UPS charge.

Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Sounds like the one of the internal relays is failing to switch so has probably developed a fault. As an alternative to A&N I would suggest an email to Udo lang at Schaudt. He is very helpful and recently arranged for my EBL to be repaired by them in Germany. It cost me £100 all in including some spare parts that I wanted from them. Of that, £56 was the postage cost to Germany (probably could have got it cheaper than using ParcelForce!). Their bill was €68 including the return UPS charge.

Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de
Yes, I did think that it might be a relay....I'm heading to France next weekend and A&N offer 48hr turnaround, hence my first thoughts.

Other option, wing it while in France (won't be using hook up anyway) and send it off to Germany when I return... hmmm

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Do everything you can to stop the tick and re-start it. Just saying tick might not get you anywhere unless it's a common fault.

So does it stop off hook up ?
Pull each fuse in turn, does it stop ?
Only ticks when plugged in, makes me think that relay is not switching over...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think the A&N 48hr turnaround is based on you buying a reconditioned unit in exchange for your current one. Their stock list is showing x3 re-manufactured EBL101 at £250 +p&p or a new one at £330 +p&p.
Another UK supplier of exchange units is Edgehill motorhomes but I expect the price will be similar.
Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer

The turnaround time for my repair in Germany was about 7 working days. 3 days each way for shipping and Schaudt repaired it within 24 hours. It actually took about 10 days allowing for weekends.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'd go with the return to Schaudt option, dealt with them numerous times and always very helpful but I've seen too many unsatisfactory reports of dealings with A&N plus they have some very dubious info on their website regarding batteries and chargers.

D.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Is that ticking with hook up connected and engine started?
Only ticking when on hook up and engine not running
I think the A&N 48hr turnaround is based on you buying a reconditioned unit in exchange for your current one. Their stock list is showing x3 re-manufactured EBL101 at £250 +p&p or a new one at £330 +p&p.
Another UK supplier of exchange units is Edgehill motorhomes but I expect the price will be similar.
Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer

The turnaround time for my repair in Germany was about 7 working days. 3 days each way for shipping and Schaudt repaired it within 24 hours. It actually took about 10 days allowing for weekends.
Yes I figured that I'd receive a recon unit which is slightly concerning
I'd go with the return to Schaudt option, dealt with them numerous times and always very helpful but I've seen too many unsatisfactory reports of dealings with A&N plus they have some very dubious info on their website regarding batteries and chargers.
D.
I've only ever heard good things about Schaudt service, good and bad for A&N....

I might wing it for the pre-Christmas trip and send it over to Germany in the New Year.

I have seen a new unit on ebay, slightly different as it is an OVP model but is something else I could consider
Broken Link Removed

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I assume all 12V supplies are working normally then? If so, in your position, I would try and wait until Schaudt can inspect/repair it. I think it would still be worth emailing Udo so he can advise what the issue might be and whether using the Hymer might cause any problems. He normally responds within a day and you can also ask him about factory shut-down dates over the holiday period.

Good luck!

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Can I second Dave Newell's opinion. A&N didn't seem to know their ar*e from elbow when I had a problem. An email to Udo Lang as per Jean Luc post saw my unit repaired and returned to me quicker and cheaper than would have thought possible.
Steve

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does it appear to be charging ? That tick is similar to what you hear when an overload trip kicks in and resets.

Our charger module died, it thinks it's quite common. The rest works fine.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I'm also in favour of returning it to Schaudt.I had the same feelings ref A&N after they refused to repair my unit.Schaudt did it at a very reasonable cost with a return within a week.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Does it appear to be charging ? That tick is similar to what you hear when an overload trip kicks in and resets.

Our charger module died, it thinks it's quite common. The rest works fine.
I'm not too sure, I'm going to leave it plugged in tonight and see if battery voltage has increased by the morning.

I'm also in favour of returning it to Schaudt.I had the same feelings ref A&N after they refused to repair my unit.Schaudt did it at a very reasonable cost with a return within a week.
Interesting that a few of you aren't too keen on A&N, looks like I'll be shipping it off to Schauldt !

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If I understand it
1 All 12 volt circuits are working ok.
2 With engine running batteries show charge in amps and volt rise.
3 Ticking noise is only when mains are plugged in and no battery charge shows in amps or volt rise.

The mains charger inside the electrobloc 101c is an las 1218. The dc output from the las operates a relay that connects charge circuit for the engine battery charging. If dc output from las is faulty then it might be that clicking is the starter battery charge relay operating and releasing. The fact you have no battery charging via mains indicates a fault in las 1218 or nearby.

You could try unplugging the mains plug on front of electrobloc and feeding mains from elsewhere, house? The plug is same as used on some kettles and computers.

There is a 20amp fuse on output of the las1218. Sorry but I do not know its location.

If you need to you could use a standard battery charger connected directly to your leisure battery temporarily. This would not provide for starter battery charging.

There is provision for a 2nd mains charger to be connected to electrobloc 101c on socket 2f-bl7 but this will only charge the leisure battery.

Above from looking at schematic of 101, its available from Schaudt website. I believe you have to register and they send you an email link to get the Manual.
Good luck, Martin

ps, just thought, does clicking stop when you remove the mains plug? If so suggest you leave it unplugged. Over a day or so plugged in thats a lot of clicks it wasnt designed to do!

Last edited:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I found A&N rather odd to deal with. I originally asked them if they could look at my Schaudt unit as it is not charging. Their response was very quick to be fair and they said they were quiet now and when did I want to bring it in. I asked if I could bring it in the next week and they replied saying not that quiet and suggesting a couple of weeks later. That wasn't convenient to me so I said I'd leave it until after Xmas. Their reply was we don't take repairs to motorhomes in the first few weeks of the new year because we are too busy. I replied by saying I would just buy a new unit from them and fit it myself. They said they wouldn't sell it to me if they couldn't check the installation themselves. I've exchanged emails with Udo Lang and found him really helpful. I certainly won't be going to A&N.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I am surprised that so many have reservations about A&N but appreciate the 'heads up', I've had a few annoying little problems recently, certainly don't need any more !

I think the plan is to charge both batteries with a car battery charger before we leave for France.
We're heading for Disneyland Paris, so have already planned for no hook up and depleting the leisure battery.
As the batteries are still getting charge from the alternator, I'm confident it'll be ok, unless the ebl goes kaput.
Worst case scenario is a couple of nights in a hotel....

When we return I can get it sent off to Germany, as we have no plans for January.

Thanks for everyone's comments :xThumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have also found A&N not the best. They told me my they could repair my control panel. I removed it from the motorhome and asked them how long they would need it for, it was only them that they asked what the fault was. Then told me it was un repairable. Quick email to Udo Lang and the reply was yes it is repairable.
Very quick turn round as well 8 days from me sending it to Germany and me getting it back.

OP
OP
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
As a follow up posting....

I've just received my invoice and return shipping details from Schaudt.

The problem was component failure. The charging unit has been replaced along with some soldering.
Schaudt's bill was 155euros (£127 when I paid through Paypal) including return p&p.

I used MyHermes to send the package, cost was about £25 inc £250 of additional protection.
I sent the package on 19th January, so having the unit back by first week of Feb is a very good result !

Well done Schaudt and thanks for everyone's help (y)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I didn't want to risk it not being returned in time so I fitted a separate charger and diverted the mains cable from the Schaudt into the new charger. There is a separate digital volt meter connected to the leisure batteries so I just give them a boost when they start to drop. The previous owner had already fitted a split charging system so charging not a problem when the engine is running. Not ideal and I'd like to have it fixed properly one day.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The previous owner had already fitted a split charging system so charging not a problem when the engine is running. Not ideal and I'd like to have it fixed properly one day.
I am not sure about the very early Schaudt systems, but certainly from the EBL99/100 onwards (that's somewhere around late 90s I think) the Elektroblock contains the relays that control charging from mains or alternator. An additional split-charge system should not be fitted.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I am not sure about the very early Schaudt systems, but certainly from the EBL99/100 onwards (that's somewhere around late 90s I think) the Elektroblock contains the relays that control charging from mains or alternator. An additional split-charge system should not be fitted.
I assume all charging via the Schaudt unit stopped working long before I got it so I don't think the split charging system is doing any harm, although I would prefer it was all back to standard and working as Hymer intended.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
I would get the Shaudt Surge Protector to go along side the EBL power units. Peace of mind knowing that its protected from power surges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back