cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi,

We've just purchased a Swift Sundance 590RS and are taking it for our first weekend away this weekend.

Something that's puzzling me though. When I first hooked the swift up at home, the control panel showed the leisure battery receiving a charge, with the arrow pointing towards the battery on the display.

Today however, although the motorhome is still hooked up, the battery is reducing in charge (11.5v at the moment) and the arrow is pointing away from the battery on the display, showing a drain of 8A with the interior lights on.

There is also no 'lightning' symbol on the display to indicate mains electric coming in, although it defenitely is as the microwave and 240v points work fine!

Does the leisure battery only receive a charge when it discharges to a certain level and does the 'lightning' symbol only appear when the battery is charging??

Also, what would the 8A drain be on the leisure battery if it's hooked up to the mains, are the interior lights running off the leisure battery only?

Very grateful if someone could advise me if this is normal, or something more serious such as a failed battery charger.

Cherok's husband!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,

the charger may have an internal /external fuse that may have blown.
mine has a glass tube type fuse on the top of the charger/power supply casing.

there may be an on/off switch on the charger/power supply which has accidently been switched to off.

the charger / supply will still supply the 240v side of the van even if the charger is turned off.

are ALL the 240v breakers turned on?

could ofcourse be a failed charger unit if the fuses are ok.

yes...the lights only run on the leisure batteries, even when on charge, and 8 amps sounds about right if you have them all turned on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Thanks pappajohn,

I can see a 30A fuse through the grilles in the charger.

Looks like I'll have to remove the cover to check the fuse:cry:

8 screws to get it off unfortunately..oh well here goes..

Cheers, hope it is the fuse..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Cherok’s Husband,

Sorry to hear about your issue, but I can confirm something is not right. The leisure battery will receive a charge whenever you are on mains hook-up, no matter what the state of the battery, and the discharge indicates a issue with the charger. There is a fuse on the rear of the charger, and this should be checked first.

Can you drop me a PM or e-mail with your chassis number, and I'll look into this. If you can also provide a contact number, it would be useful.

However, if your battery charger is currently discharging, I would suggest you preserve 12V power until we can understand the cause of the issue.

Thanks,

Ash
technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi Ash

Many thanks for your help on this.

I will email you as not sure how to pm on this forum.

Can I get you now at this support email you've provided?

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Cherok,

I've just sent you a PM (have a look in the top right hand corner of your screen, under your username, where it says "Private Messages"). Just click on that.

I don't have access to customer vehicle details at home, but I'm sure we can figure it out togther.

Ash

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ash

Many thanks for your help on this.

I will email you as not sure how to pm on this forum.

Can I get you now at this support email you've provided?

click on the name 'Swiftgroup' at the top left of the post above the avater.

in the dropdown box click on 'send a private message to swift group.

type a title in the top box and your message in the large box and submit.

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Thanks papajohn and Ash,

What a fantastic forum, one quick post and Swift are on the case to get my problem sorted !

Very reassuring that Swift customer service (namely Ash ) is going beyond the call of duty and hopefully I should get the charging problem sorted out tomorrow morning and get away for he weekend as planned :thumb:

I'll keep you posted how it goes

Thanks again everyone

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
providing your battery isnt cabbaged you could start and run the engine to charge the battery in desperation.

dont let it discharge too far or you will kill the battery.:cry:10.5 volts is TOTALLY DEAD and may not charge again.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you've checked the obvious i guess... the circuit breaker for the charger... tho i dunno if they will use a breaker just for the charger like i do on my mains system... tho i do use a 7 way breaker box to avoid having too many circuits on each breaker.

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
providing your battery isnt cabbaged you could start and run the engine to charge the battery in desperation.

dont let it discharge too far or you will kill the battery.:cry:10.5 volts is TOTALLY DEAD and may not charge again.

Just a thought, while it's outside the house, is it possible to connect a standard car battery charger to the leisure battery, or do they have some special type of charger?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My Bessacarr has the unit with the breakers in the wardrobe, the switch for the charger can be knocked of by mistake.

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Ho Hum.... still waiting !

After a positive start, I'm still waiting for news from Swift and my motorhome supplier to see if they can sort my battery charger.

was hoping to get away by 3pm today but it's looking increasingly unlikely :cry:

I'm even missing my son's sports day to try and get this sorted.:Angry:

Oh well, all I can do is wait...for the time being

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Just an update to all, Cherok was able to make his first break in his new 590RS, without too much inconvenience.

I wish him a good holiday.

Thanks,

Ash

OP
OP
C

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Writing this for my hubby who has lots of work to catch up on after our weekend!

Many thanks to Ash/Swift Group who got the charger delivered to us at Home Farm first thing Saturday morning ::bigsmile:

We had a really good time and we are raring to go for next weekend...now if only we can agree on where to go....:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Writing this for my hubby who has lots of work to catch up on after our weekend!

Many thanks to Ash/Swift Group who got the charger delivered to us at Home Farm first thing Saturday morning ::bigsmile:

We had a really good time and we are raring to go for next weekend...now if only we can agree on where to go....:RollEyes:

well done to Ash and the Swift group again.:thumb:

why,oh why cant other manufacturers follow Swifts lead and at least read the various forums and if neccesary act on what they read.

if Swift group can do it AND go the extra mile in doing so then the others should wake up to the fact.........it gets buyers attention and custom:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back