Is mouthwash taboo? (1 Viewer)

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I have been advised not to use mouthwash in the motorhome, the chemicals can cause the seals in the plastic plumbing to leak. Is this true?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I can't see why that would be true, a lot of mouthwash does contains alcohol, I would have thought that would cleanse the pipes rather than corrode them. I could be wrong of course.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I spose it could cause them to dry out eventually, but I would hardly rate it as high risk to say the least !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I also read a post on a motorhome forum concerning damage to a plastic sink, supposedly caused by using mouthwash?

I guess you could dilute the used solution by running some fresh water in the sink and down the drain.

Mike

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I thought it was a health question ..... so on that note ............. when going through chemo we used to all meet up regularly for lunch and discuss latest health statistics etc... We all changed to alcohol free mouthwash because statistically normal mouth wash may contribute to mouth and tongue cancer ... I don't have a link but I am sure there is one somewhere .

We also gave up on deodorant and talcumn powder ... so apologies for the body odour.. :)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I thought it was a health question ..... so on that note ......it doesn't stay in my mouth ...... when going through chemo we used to all meet up regularly for lunch and discuss latest health statistics etc... We all changed to alcohol free mouthwash because statistically normal mouth wash may contribute to mouth and tongue cancer ... I don't have a link but I am sure there is one somewhere .

We also gave up on deodorant and talcumn powder ... so apologies for the body odour.. :)
Because of tongue cancer I only use alcohol free but I still drink the stuff (not mouthwash) but I suppose it doesn't stay in my mouth long enough unless I'm savouring a malt. Seriously I asked if ok to drink and ok in moderation. (y)

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I too read it on here a couple of years ago. Here you go.
Thanks Bailey58. I have also just heard from my MH dealer who confirms several vehicles have indeed suffered from plumbing damage caused by certain mouthwash brands.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Serious question, not having ever used it , why do you use any sort of mouthwash, isn't toothpaste enough?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought it was a health question ..... so on that note ............. when going through chemo we used to all meet up regularly for lunch and discuss latest health statistics etc... We all changed to alcohol free mouthwash because statistically normal mouth wash may contribute to mouth and tongue cancer ... I don't have a link but I am sure there is one somewhere .

Please Joy, do stop believing everything you are told.
Mouthwash contains alcohol but regular use doesn't make you an alcoholic.
The chances of mouth cancer are so small only the scaremongers would mention it.
If you believed everything is not good for you then you would have died at birth.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my dentist swore me off mouthwash, as it actually makes your teeth soft and burns your mouth. as for motorhomes, i have seen several nearly new vans with sinks stained by people who use it

nasty toxic stuff, like gargling with bleach or toilet cleaner

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
My old dentist reckoned cleaning your teeth twice a day plus flossing was enough. He also said the main reason for the alcohol was the stinging sensation so that people thought it must be doing good. Completely different if like Movan you are having chemo, often the mouthwash helps compensate for the fact that its so hard to clean bleeding ulcerated mouths with floss and toothbrushes. I am seeing my new dentist Pedro on wednesday so will ask him, although he is young, gorgeous and Portuguese so I might forget!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Yes, if your gums bleed when you clean your teeth, the mouthwash stops the bleeding so no infection can get in the damaged gums... Salt water does more or less the same thing though.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Because of tongue cancer I only use alcohol free but I still drink the stuff (not mouthwash) but I suppose it doesn't stay in my mouth long enough unless I'm savouring a malt. Seriously I asked if ok to drink and ok in moderation. (y)

Yes, that is what we were told... You drink alcohol and usually it doesn't stay in your mouth long enough to do any damage .. especially if you are having a meal at the same time, whereas mouthwash is used to swill your mouth and throat ... usually after eating and drinking and well in advance of your next meal.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Should have added, that was a few years ago but the surgeon who I still see now tells his patients not to use these either as it is now an accepted breast cancer risk apparently. When fighting cancer you grab at anything that doesn't entail any hardship to your lifestyle rather than go through chemo again.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I use bicarbonate of soda to freshen my mouth and a mouthwash called Biotene for dry mouth. I have to try and keep infection at bay as radiotherapy has done some damage.:(
Thank you for that. I will try it.

I use crystal 'deodorant'. It isn't as good as the real stuff but it works.. (I think!!!) but you need to apply it more often ............. or take extra t shirts to change into :)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
my dentist swore me off mouthwash, as it actually makes your teeth soft and burns your mouth. as for motorhomes, i have seen several nearly new vans with sinks stained by people who use it

nasty toxic stuff, like gargling with bleach or toilet cleaner
Just shows you, my dentist advised me to use the stuff and having seen what been said will check the MH sink tomoz
Thks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mouthwash used sparingly should be okay a MH so long as you rinse the sink/pipes afterwards, we've never ever had a problem with leaky pipes and to be honest if mouthwash causing such an issue I'd be questioning the quality of the materials used!

I have to use mouthwash, not for my teeth, but as I have very narrow Eustachian tube (it drains from your ear to your mouth) and the tangy mouthwash makes me produce saliva which encourages the tubes to empty, if not I get horrendous problems with my ears, but I only have to use a small amount.

As for the other things mentioned which are not 'good' for you, such as deodorant which I use and talcum powder which I don't I'm sure there are many more 'dangerous' things we use/do everyday than using them.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
For years it has been said that mouthwash will crack your basin etc, another excuse by the van builders to cover up for very poor quality basin mouldings that are paper thin just like shower trays. No reason other than profits for them to make them so thin.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I've always been told by any dentist I have visited for tooth extraction or serious care causing open wounds to never use such a thing for more than 5 days. Mouth is supposed to defend itself with its own little people, and using mouthwash destroy oral flora (hope the word is correct as I've asked google).
I never use it without a prescription. A drop of Ricard calms down any mouth pain;) ... and it's quite nice!(y) Of course ... you understand you cannot have pains every day :rolleyes:

Can't crack Max's bathroom sink then!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I understood that sinks made from certain plastics, styrene I think, may have a problem with some mouthwash products. PVC pipework shouldn't suffer though.

OP
OP
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
For years it has been said that mouthwash will crack your basin etc, another excuse by the van builders to cover up for very poor quality basin mouldings that are paper thin just like shower trays. No reason other than profits for them to make them so thin.
Well bless my Sister's cat's backside ..... I didn't know that!!:clap2::whistle2:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well bless my Sister's cat's backside ..... I didn't know that!!:clap2::whistle2:
ooooh do tell us, do you often kiss your sister's pussy?:rofl:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Is mouthwash taboo? More like Taboo is mouthwash!:D

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
A drop of Ricard calms down any mouth pain;) ... and it's quite nice!(y)

Frankie, in my experience Ricard calms down absolutely any pain... and it's more than just nice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back