Is mouthwash taboo?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tackle man, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

I have been advised not to use mouthwash in the motorhome, the chemicals can cause the seals in the plastic plumbing to leak. Is this true?

2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I can't see why that would be true, a lot of mouthwash does contains alcohol, I would have thought that would cleanse the pipes rather than corrode them. I could be wrong of course.

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I spose it could cause them to dry out eventually, but I would hardly rate it as high risk to say the least !

4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Gargle with brandy !! ( Then swallow )

• Like Like x 6
  5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I also read a post on a motorhome forum concerning damage to a plastic sink, supposedly caused by using mouthwash?

I guess you could dilute the used solution by running some fresh water in the sink and down the drain.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I thought it was a health question ..... so on that note ............. when going through chemo we used to all meet up regularly for lunch and discuss latest health statistics etc... We all changed to alcohol free mouthwash because statistically normal mouth wash may contribute to mouth and tongue cancer ... I don't have a link but I am sure there is one somewhere .

We also gave up on deodorant and talcumn powder ... so apologies for the body odour.. :)

7. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I too read it on here a couple of years ago. Here you go.

• Like Like x 1
  8. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Because of tongue cancer I only use alcohol free but I still drink the stuff (not mouthwash) but I suppose it doesn't stay in my mouth long enough unless I'm savouring a malt. Seriously I asked if ok to drink and ok in moderation. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

Thanks Bailey58. I have also just heard from my MH dealer who confirms several vehicles have indeed suffered from plumbing damage caused by certain mouthwash brands.

10. chaser

chaser Funster

Serious question, not having ever used it , why do you use any sort of mouthwash, isn't toothpaste enough?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Charlie635

Charlie635 Read Only Funster

Can't see it being a problem, Most household plumbing is plastic pipes and seals.

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Please Joy, do stop believing everything you are told.
    Mouthwash contains alcohol but regular use doesn't make you an alcoholic.
    The chances of mouth cancer are so small only the scaremongers would mention it.
    If you believed everything is not good for you then you would have died at birth.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

No idea mate! I've never used mouthwash myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

my dentist swore me off mouthwash, as it actually makes your teeth soft and burns your mouth. as for motorhomes, i have seen several nearly new vans with sinks stained by people who use it

nasty toxic stuff, like gargling with bleach or toilet cleaner

• Like Like x 1
  15. carolyn

carolyn Funster

My old dentist reckoned cleaning your teeth twice a day plus flossing was enough. He also said the main reason for the alcohol was the stinging sensation so that people thought it must be doing good. Completely different if like Movan you are having chemo, often the mouthwash helps compensate for the fact that its so hard to clean bleeding ulcerated mouths with floss and toothbrushes. I am seeing my new dentist Pedro on wednesday so will ask him, although he is young, gorgeous and Portuguese so I might forget!

• Like Like x 1
  16. movan

Yes, if your gums bleed when you clean your teeth, the mouthwash stops the bleeding so no infection can get in the damaged gums... Salt water does more or less the same thing though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. movan

Yes, that is what we were told... You drink alcohol and usually it doesn't stay in your mouth long enough to do any damage .. especially if you are having a meal at the same time, whereas mouthwash is used to swill your mouth and throat ... usually after eating and drinking and well in advance of your next meal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. movan

Should have added, that was a few years ago but the surgeon who I still see now tells his patients not to use these either as it is now an accepted breast cancer risk apparently. When fighting cancer you grab at anything that doesn't entail any hardship to your lifestyle rather than go through chemo again.

• Like Like x 7
  19. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I use bicarbonate of soda to freshen my mouth and a mouthwash called Biotene for dry mouth. I have to try and keep infection at bay as radiotherapy has done some damage.:(

• Like Like x 3
  20. movan

Thank you for that. I will try it.

I use crystal 'deodorant'. It isn't as good as the real stuff but it works.. (I think!!!) but you need to apply it more often ............. or take extra t shirts to change into :)

• Like Like x 3