Is LPG a cheaper way of running a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie but did own one in 2003. Been into camping for many years.
Hi guys/gals,

With diesel not being cheap, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get an LPG tank fitted to my motorhome (when I get one, that is! :RollEyes:) to power it rather than use batteries and hookups. I'm not talking about a conversion to actually drive the motorhome, but just as a power source to run all the devices like the fridge, tv and lights etc.

Would this be a better long term idea? (I know there would be the initial cost in getting it fitted, then the cost of topping up). Or would getting solar panels fitted be a better/cheaper way? I'm guessing solar panels only charge up leisure batteries and won't sustain prolonged use of electrical devices whereas a full tank of LPG would be able to power devices for many days (or even weeks!?) at a time. Is this correct?

I'm planning on mainly wild camping rather than staying on designated camping sites and I don't want to be left out in the cold/dark! I also hope to use it all year round and in all weathers too. What sort of motorhome/devices would best suit my needs for this? Is there anything that I simply must have (or not have) or anything I should always do in order to accomplish this?

I look forward to your input and any advice is appreciated. :Smile:

Thanks!

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Thanks for the info Ed, but although diesel is far more readily available, it's also more than twice as much as LPG though which isn't much of a selling point as far as I can see.

Granted diesel is more expensive to buy but it is more efficient, up to 25% more efficient than LPG. There's a weight saving advantage as well with diesel; gas bottles are heavy. You'll come to appreciate weight savings.

I've found diesel an advantage abroad. it's difficult to carry sufficient Calor gas for long tours. You need duplicate equipment for gas bottles, because connections are different, so you have to carry both. I don't use enough gas to warrant a fitted LPG tank. Others will be able to advise on the availability of LPG for fixed tanks but, as I said before, diesel is readily available.

Also, if you are considering LPG as a propulsion fuel you are excluded from use of the Chunnel.

Hope this helps with your learning curve:thumb:
Ed

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
With diesel not being cheap, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get an LPG tank fitted to my motorhome (when I get one, that is! :RollEyes:) to power it rather than use batteries and hookups.

How about getting the motorhome first and using it a while to see what you actually need in terms of battery power? :Smile:

If you're planning on wild camping a lot then you'll probably be driving quite a bit which will help keep the batteries topped up. Solar is useful in the UK from late spring through to early autumn. It keeps me going off hook-up indefinitely during that time - longest has been 3 months but could easily have gone for longer. In the winter I use sites with hook-up.

A generator is useful if we have a run of bad weather so that solar is rendered pretty much useless. I have a 1kW suitcase-type generator - only been used about 6 times in almost 3 years, but worth its weight in gold when you do need it. ::bigsmile: They are also easy to sell on if you decide you don't really need one after all. :winky:

If you want to use a van all year round in the UK you're better off looking at German or French makes that are fully winterised. Winterisation is a concept that UK van manufacturers just don't get. :RollEyes:

Have fun! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Granted diesel is more expensive to buy but it is more efficient, up to 25% more efficient than LPG. There's a weight saving advantage as well with diesel; gas bottles are heavy. You'll come to appreciate weight savings.

I've found diesel an advantage abroad. it's difficult to carry sufficient Calor gas for long tours. You need duplicate equipment for gas bottles, because connections are different, so you have to carry both. I don't use enough gas to warrant a fitted LPG tank. Others will be able to advise on the availability of LPG for fixed tanks but, as I said before, diesel is readily available.

Also, if you are considering LPG as a propulsion fuel you are excluded from use of the Chunnel.

Hope this helps with your learning curve:thumb:
Ed
Thanks for the reply again Ed. Ah, yes...a very interesting point there about not being able to use the Chunnel. That's definitely worth taking onboard! :thumb:

Interesting point about the weight of diesel as well...I hadn't thought about the different weights of fuel. I must admit, like you say, with diesel being available at almost every service station around, that seems to be the best option to go for at this moment in time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
actualy, your question is misleading.
Sorry. It wasn't meant to be! I guess it's because I don't know what I'm talking about therefore I don't know exactly what to ask! :Blush:
LPG can only power electrical items...tv etc...if fed into an LPG converted generator.
Obviously it will power heating, cooling (fridge) and cooking as it is.

Back to the questin.

An underslung LPG tank is the most cost efficient method of using gas once the initial instalation outlay is recouped.

Bottled gas is expensive and obviously need periodic changing whereas a tank will/can hold a lot more so requires less refilling and the cost per liter is whatever you pay at the fuel pump.

Another advantage of a tank....you need only put in what you need.
Could be a full tank or just a top up of a few liters.

A bottle would be empty, possibly at an inconvenient time, before changing...or forfiet whatever gas is remaining if not empty..
Anyway, thanks for the info John. :thumb:
As far as I can tell, it's really a case of horses for courses isn't it? There are advantages and disadvantages to each system really.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
How about getting the motorhome first and using it a while to see what you actually need in terms of battery power? :Smile:

If you're planning on wild camping a lot then you'll probably be driving quite a bit which will help keep the batteries topped up. Solar is useful in the UK from late spring through to early autumn. It keeps me going off hook-up indefinitely during that time - longest has been 3 months but could easily have gone for longer. In the winter I use sites with hook-up.

A generator is useful if we have a run of bad weather so that solar is rendered pretty much useless. I have a 1kW suitcase-type generator - only been used about 6 times in almost 3 years, but worth its weight in gold when you do need it. ::bigsmile: They are also easy to sell on if you decide you don't really need one after all. :winky:

If you want to use a van all year round in the UK you're better off looking at German or French makes that are fully winterised. Winterisation is a concept that UK van manufacturers just don't get. :RollEyes:

Have fun! :Smile:
Thanks for the reply maz! :thumb: I see. Yes, fair point about actually getting the motorhome first. I was just trying to think ahead and what I'm looking to use my motorhome for and seeing that LPG is a lot cheaper than diesel and also noticing adverts for installations of LPG tanks to motorhomes, I naturally thought it was the obvious way (after initial installation costs) if you plan (like I do) to mainly wild camp. However, as others have pointed out, it isn't that straightforward is it? :Doh:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the reply again Ed. Ah, yes...[HI]a very interesting point there about not being able to use the Chunnel. [/HI]That's definitely worth taking onboard! :thumb:

Interesting point about the weight of diesel as well...I hadn't thought about the different weights of fuel. I must admit, like you say, with diesel being available at almost every service station around, that seems to be the best option to go for at this moment in time.

domestic use (heating, cooking etc) LPG tanks are NOT excluded from the tunnel but MUST be turned off at the tank....and the boarding crew will check.

An LPG conversion to run a petrol engine on Lpg is excluded as it cant easily be turned off or checked withour crawling underneath..

Upvote 0

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Kryten
My suggestion would be to hire a Motorhome, and try it out first, you learn a lot about how they work, but more importantly what type of MH size and layout you think will suit you.
We hired 4 times before we made the jump. I think it makes sense.:thumb:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
LPG vs Diesel - the latter has a far higher energy density. More bang for the buck (at least until the tax is factored in). Easier to store.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the replies again guys, and yeah that's a sound suggestion to hire a few first Soaringman. Any decent companies you could recommend? Cheers! :thumb:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We used motorholme - they also trade under another name. I would never, ever use them again. They changed the agreed van at the last minute for something unsuitable. Check out reviews on the internet of the hire companies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We used motorholme - they also trade under another name. I would never, ever use them again. They changed the agreed van at the last minute for something unsuitable. Check out reviews on the internet of the hire companies
I will try and give them a wide berth then! Ta. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Well I have done some ferrying work for southwest motorhomes, they have a good new fleet of roller team models. The vans are very tidy and well equipped. There is a secure yard where you can leave your car for the duration. They are based just outside Ilminster.
Sarah the owner will look after you, tell her Coops sent you:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kryten

Kryten

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Well I have done some ferrying work for southwest motorhomes, they have a good new fleet of roller team models. The vans are very tidy and well equipped. There is a secure yard where you can leave your car for the duration. They are based just outside Ilminster.
Sarah the owner will look after you, tell her Coops sent you:thumb:
Cheers for the suggestion. I could do with one a bit closer though tbh. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back