Mar 2, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Chasson Welcome 70
Exp
since 2012
Dear all

I have had my motorhome (in Spain) for two years and after another nasty leak through the roof brought her back to England to get the roof looked at .... unfortunately I have been told (by a reputable motorhome fixer) it now needs a new roof.

If fixed the van is worth £12,000 if I decide to sell, but the repair is £4,500 do you think its worth it ?? I do love my motorhome but its such a lot of money and as its a historic leak the insurance company wont cover it :-(

your opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

OP
OP
LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Chasson Welcome 70
Exp
since 2012
Hi and thank U all for waiting a little something ... I have been trying to find someone for over two months to fix the roof but most wouldn't take it on ... I can't sell the van for 7500 as I have been told its only worth 3,000 if I don't do the roof ... the Reg is W so she has years but only 34,000 klm on the clock! I am sentimental about her so feel I am being really girlie about things. So thank you all for helping and your thoughts. Quite new to this but def got the bug and can't really use her whilst it rains inside ... everything else is perfect and she passed MOT with flying colours ... And the summer is coming !! J

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
welcome... you have a huge dilemma.

so if you could get £3k for it as is and added £4.5k + £7.5k and bought another van, would you have:-
a better; The same; or lesser van?

good luck with whatever you decide. but get more than a couple of quotes and preferably see some completed works if that is possible.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I would suggest best course would be to get several quotes.
Ask them if the existing roof can be repaired (patched?), or indeed, is a new roof the only solution.
I'm a bit concerned that someone can quote £4.5K for the repair, but doesn't want to take the work on ?!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Help us
out here what is it?

There may be a solution you have not thought of. Rubber roof covering for instance

common on RV's i believe... so maybe one of the RV guys can help. or even get a quote from an RV repair place.

OP
OP
LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Chasson Welcome 70
Exp
since 2012
She is also a left hooker so don't know how difficult to sell with damp too? Will look into rubber roof too thank you ... X

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Or a W Reg 2000?

Edit: Where's the W, beginning or end of the plate?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
:(I feel if you were to give us a few more clues as to make model perhaps a pic or two ,
2000 W or 1980 W where exactly is it leaking into the van front back etc etc lots of members with older LHD vans without the problems sometimes found on more modern units and depending on the model maybe a common problem with easier fix that. Complete new roof .
This like pulling teeth :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
rubber roof will only cure certain types of leaks, and not the usual bad joints. plus as the wooden frame dries out it will just crumble to dust. to be done right, the ceiling needs ripping out plus any wet wood and insulation. next identify and permanently seal all the leaks. then it needs drying thoroughly and replacing with new

can be done DIY for a few hundred but its hours and hours of labour

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the dealer has said it needs a new roof rather than a repair, it is probable because the structural wood beams are rotten, and no doubt the internal lining is also rotten and or very damp.. so covering the roof with rubber isn't an option ..

have it repaired properly or scrap it .. your choice.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
:(I feel if you were to give us a few more clues as to make model perhaps a pic or two ,
2000 W or 1980 W where exactly is it leaking into the van front back etc etc lots of members with older LHD vans without the problems sometimes found on more modern units and depending on the model maybe a common problem with easier fix that. Complete new roof .
This like pulling teeth :)

Chaussan welcome 70 its in the signature. A bit more detail on nature of leaks and where water coming in and did repairer say structure rotten?? Or what are they going for the money quoted..

Last edited:
OP
OP
LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Chasson Welcome 70
Exp
since 2012
Ok so W reg year 2000. First leak two years ago through sky light (middle of van) ... Re sealed and Re bedded another leak six months later different sky light (rear of van) both ran water down to front of van so ruined the ceiling lining. Final leak who knows were that was coming from but ... Small bow in ceiling which is why I brought it home to England could not get it fixed in Spain. Found Paul butler (olly) who has a covered workshop in New Town and has great reviews and who explain the issue and why I needed to replace all.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
OK so if bowing, its probably a structural wood issue. Other then more quotes no one can make the decision for you I'm afraid. Personally I dont get emotional about vans they are just a tool.....just s case of is it worth it. As you probably know quotes are just that and costs can escalate..

Sorry!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
OK so if bowing, its probably a structural wood issue. Other then more quotes no one can make the decision for you I'm afraid. Personally I dont get emotional about vans they are just a tool.....just s case of is it worth it. As you probably know quotes are just that and costs can escalate..

Sorry!
no a quote is a fixed price, an estimate is just a best guess.

a sagging ceiling is a very bad sign that its terminal for the roof. needs the top skin removing too and a whole new structure being built to replace the rotten timber work. worst case scenario, if the van was in a side impact or roll over, there is no structural strength. needs doing absolutely right so a figure of £4500 is not unreasonable

if it were me, I would get the job done, then quickly sell the van on. that way you keep the overall loss down etc

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Another option is repair and keep it. If you like the van it could give you years of pleasure on a budget.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I am sentimental about her so feel I am being really girlie about things.
And why not!! (y) If you love it, and the situation is as you say, then get it fixed. (y) You could get your 3 k, and add to it say 4 k for the repair......What you going to get for 7 k?? Probably a 23 year old Hymer like ours.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
If it were mine and funds were tight and selling was not an option i would be prepared to go down the route of a DIY job using Firestone rubber cover, i can vouch for this stuff, we had it fitted on a 25ftx 12ft extension we just had built and i did some of it myself - the contact adhesive thats used for it is very very sticky to say the least, and i am pretty sure that this stuff would solve any leak - it sticks to just about anything.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If it were mine and funds were tight and selling was not an option i would be prepared to go down the route of a DIY job using Firestone rubber cover, i can vouch for this stuff, we had it fitted on a 25ftx 12ft extension we just had built and i did some of it myself - the contact adhesive thats used for it is very very sticky to say the least, and i am pretty sure that this stuff would solve any leak - it sticks to just about anything.
the big issue is not the leak but the sagging roof and no structural strength. renewing a few timbers in a limited area like round a rooflight is simple and cheap by comparison. then if you use firestone rubber sheet bonded to the roof, you need to allow for the weight and loss of payload

the rubber paint on membrane as painted onto rv roofs is great for sealing porous aluminium sheeting, but not a physical gap etc

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You don`t say where you are in the country, my pal Simon at S&L Automotive in Sutton in Ashfield repairs caravans and motorhomes he is really good you can find them on tinternet(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You don`t say where you are in the country, my pal Simon at S&L Automotive in Sutton in Ashfield repairs caravans and motorhomes he is really good you can find them on tinternet(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I think this is Simon

S & L Automotive Ltd
  • Tel: 01623 515222
Unit 7, Hamilton Rd, Sutton-In-Ashfield,Nottinghamshire, NG17 5LD

where ever you are just google caravan repairs.....ring around and chat..Its good to talk :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Time to learn DIY.

First, and you might as well do this yourself, what have you to lose, is rip the inside of the roof out, then you can see the problem. It's not rocket science, a roof if very simple. If you repair the structure inside then bond on a rubber roof it might be a solution.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Time to learn DIY.

First, and you might as well do this yourself, what have you to lose, is rip the inside of the roof out, then you can see the problem. It's not rocket science, a roof if very simple. If you repair the structure inside then bond on a rubber roof it might be a solution.

I have no idea about the DIY skills of the OP, but a few of you on here do presume some of us can do a lot more than we can, (even implying we should have to know how to) a few minutes with a tube of sealant and a gun I can already take £'s of the value of anything I get near, this sounds way above the level of most DIYers

Accepting this MH may already be close to scrapping stage, my concern would be if the roof is removed on your own drive, then you find it is way more than you can do, by then the MH is undriveable I would have thought

It sounds like the OP has found a repair option, possibly already by recommendation, the only thing they want now is an opinion on mend, sell on or scrap. It can be difficult to take something away for an alternative quote when the first option has already gone so far (not actually sure how far they have gone TBH)

That said I am one of the softest when it comes to dealing with such things, some of us have got the keep the repair businesses going, you might need them yourselves if / when things get too serious :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back