is it worth it ??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by LOVEBUG1, Mar 2, 2015.

1. LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Dear all

I have had my motorhome (in Spain) for two years and after another nasty leak through the roof brought her back to England to get the roof looked at .... unfortunately I have been told (by a reputable motorhome fixer) it now needs a new roof.

If fixed the van is worth £12,000 if I decide to sell, but the repair is £4,500 do you think its worth it ?? I do love my motorhome but its such a lot of money and as its a historic leak the insurance company wont cover it :-(

your opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

2. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome your other option is to sell it for £7500 no outlay and the same result

• Like Like x 2
  3. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard:winky: Difficult to sell a Damp Van:rollingeyes:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Get a few opinions on work required before doing anything..,

• Like Like x 3
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

what year is the van ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Hi and thank U all for waiting a little something ... I have been trying to find someone for over two months to fix the roof but most wouldn't take it on ... I can't sell the van for 7500 as I have been told its only worth 3,000 if I don't do the roof ... the Reg is W so she has years but only 34,000 klm on the clock! I am sentimental about her so feel I am being really girlie about things. So thank you all for helping and your thoughts. Quite new to this but def got the bug and can't really use her whilst it rains inside ... everything else is perfect and she passed MOT with flying colours ... And the summer is coming !! J

7. Judge Mental

So its a W reg. 1980?

There may be a solution you have not thought of. Rubber roof covering for instance.....does any one know about these ?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Phill D

Phill D

welcome... you have a huge dilemma.

so if you could get £3k for it as is and added £4.5k + £7.5k and bought another van, would you have:-
    a better; The same; or lesser van?

good luck with whatever you decide. but get more than a couple of quotes and preferably see some completed works if that is possible.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

I would suggest best course would be to get several quotes.
    Ask them if the existing roof can be repaired (patched?), or indeed, is a new roof the only solution.
    I'm a bit concerned that someone can quote £4.5K for the repair, but doesn't want to take the work on ?!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phill D

Phill D

common on RV's i believe... so maybe one of the RV guys can help. or even get a quote from an RV repair place.

11. LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

She is also a left hooker so don't know how difficult to sell with damp too? Will look into rubber roof too thank you ... X

12. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Or a W Reg 2000?

Edit: Where's the W, beginning or end of the plate?

13. LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Beginning yes 2000 ....

14. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

:(I feel if you were to give us a few more clues as to make model perhaps a pic or two ,
    2000 W or 1980 W where exactly is it leaking into the van front back etc etc lots of members with older LHD vans without the problems sometimes found on more modern units and depending on the model maybe a common problem with easier fix that. Complete new roof .
    This like pulling teeth :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

rubber roof will only cure certain types of leaks, and not the usual bad joints. plus as the wooden frame dries out it will just crumble to dust. to be done right, the ceiling needs ripping out plus any wet wood and insulation. next identify and permanently seal all the leaks. then it needs drying thoroughly and replacing with new

can be done DIY for a few hundred but its hours and hours of labour

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If the dealer has said it needs a new roof rather than a repair, it is probable because the structural wood beams are rotten, and no doubt the internal lining is also rotten and or very damp.. so covering the roof with rubber isn't an option ..

have it repaired properly or scrap it .. your choice.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Judge Mental

Chaussan welcome 70 its in the signature. A bit more detail on nature of leaks and where water coming in and did repairer say structure rotten?? Or what are they going for the money quoted..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. LOVEBUG1

LOVEBUG1

Ok so W reg year 2000. First leak two years ago through sky light (middle of van) ... Re sealed and Re bedded another leak six months later different sky light (rear of van) both ran water down to front of van so ruined the ceiling lining. Final leak who knows were that was coming from but ... Small bow in ceiling which is why I brought it home to England could not get it fixed in Spain. Found Paul butler (olly) who has a covered workshop in New Town and has great reviews and who explain the issue and why I needed to replace all.

19. Judge Mental

OK so if bowing, its probably a structural wood issue. Other then more quotes no one can make the decision for you I'm afraid. Personally I dont get emotional about vans they are just a tool.....just s case of is it worth it. As you probably know quotes are just that and costs can escalate..

Sorry!

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

no a quote is a fixed price, an estimate is just a best guess.

a sagging ceiling is a very bad sign that its terminal for the roof. needs the top skin removing too and a whole new structure being built to replace the rotten timber work. worst case scenario, if the van was in a side impact or roll over, there is no structural strength. needs doing absolutely right so a figure of £4500 is not unreasonable

if it were me, I would get the job done, then quickly sell the van on. that way you keep the overall loss down etc

• Like Like x 3