Is it worth fitting a battery master (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Our van is in storage, even though we go every 2 or 3 weeks we are finding the vehicle battery is too low to start. We also have a solar panel and the display tells us the leisure battery is if is fully charged, but it can't be charging the vehicle battery.. .?
Can anyone suggest the best way to deal with this?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Agree battery master. :xThumb: There are also many ways to connect your cab batt to solar, but it depends on which system you have. Mine you cannot do have bm from the bitzmeister.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
You have answered you own question. The real question is why anyone would build a Moho without the ability to charge the van battery when needed.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Fit a Battery master. An essential item if you have a solar panel.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes it's worth it. Never owned a van without fitting one.

Disclaimer our shop sells the Battery Master cheaper than anyone:).

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Surely it would be easier to connect the starter battery to the solar panel controller ?

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Surely it would be easier to connect the starter battery to the solar panel controller ?

I'm no expert by far but unless you then had a means to allow the controller to treat the van and lesiure batteries differently you'd drain the starter battery when using the habitation circuits. A diode wouldn't solve that problem because the controller needs to know the battery potential difference. Unless controllers are much cleverer than mine I guess

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So...it sounds like all battery masters are different, so,what is the difference between them..anyone?

There are only two I know of, Battery Master and the Italian one I have by CBE. No significant difference between them.

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
I'm no expert by far but unless you then had a means to allow the controller to treat the van and lesiure batteries differently you'd drain the starter battery when using the habitation circuits. A diode wouldn't solve that problem because the controller needs to know the battery potential difference. Unless controllers are much cleverer than mine I guess
There are probably many different controllers, mine is a Morningstar which has separate outputs for leisure and starter and splits the charge either 50/50 or 90/10.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
IMO if a motorhome has a solar panel and a leisure battery fitted then every MH should come as standard with a Battery Master...they are essential ...been down the same route with having van in storage then after 4 to 5 days passing click click dead battery, had solar but no BM, fitted one via recommendations on fun and never had a flat battery since, in fact I wish I would have took it off when I sold the van....got a CBE fitted now, think its the same thing but cheaper and still does the job

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fit a Battery master. An essential item if you have a solar panel.
Unless you have a dual regulator similar to
1476289451_09295600.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back