Is it worth buying a cheap MH so I cna save more quicker

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by clyle, Sep 6, 2015.

1. clyle

clyle

Ive had a slight financial hitch so I am not going to make my £45000 target for another year (2018).

Is it worth buying a cheap £10-15000 mh early next year (March 2016) to allow me to make more savings to get to my goal sooner (March 2017) as I would be saving money on virgin, rent, council tax and all the other bills that come with a house?

Would I get much of the 10-15000 back come trade in again a 45000 mh?

When it comes to cash it would be in the individual but I dont want to spend money on a temp mh only to loose a lot come trade in time.

Does anyone have experience in trading in old cheaper mh again a newer type?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Trading up is always welcomed by dealers,,,
    When I started I had 3 vans in 18 months.. The first 2 I had all my money back :)
    The third one I had to sell in a rush (business venture opportunity) lost a shed load :(

I'm a bit wiser now and play the game to suit me...

Buy in Autumn/Winter - Sell in Spring / summer is a wise move.

• Like Like x 3
  3. clyle

clyle

I think based on how my budget looks I will be buying the permanent mh in Sept 2017 but I plan on buy a runaround in spring so if its rubbish I don have to deal with the winter right away and only spend 1 winter in it :)

I would just hate to do this to same more and then loose most of the initial 10-15 on the temp mh.... or maybe I am being too impatient as I was hoping to be living in it late 2017 not late 2018

4. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Just out of interest - what is £45k going to get you? A new MH?

If so, a £45k MH in 3 years time may be closer to £30k, so could you might still be able to hit your budget.

Oh, and what are you looking for in a MH? I only ask as I've spent the last 10 years using a camper van which depending on badge/spec can easily be bought in the £5k range, which could be an immediate entry into the market.

5. maison

maison Funster

It's well worth considering for two reasons:-

It will get you started much earlier.

Not everyone loves it once they have tried motorhoming. They find the real experience is not as they imagined. Look at all the M/Hs for sale with less than say 5000 miles on their clock.

Either way I hope it all goes well for you.

We returned to motorhomes 18 months ago after 7 years with caravans. We bought an older model, which we kept for 18 months before trading in for a new unit.

Welcome.(y):)

• Like Like x 1
  6. rangitira

rangitira Funster

BUY new! and drop 20% as you leave the dealers yard

• Like Like x 2
  7. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

our new van was 13000 with everything we need, I have to admit its the most I have ever spent on a vehicle which is not new, its 15 year old but new to us. cant wait to pick it up.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

If you buy wisely the price is irrelevant, you can spend £1,500 or £100,000 and still end up with a lemon. But how good would you feel, spending a small amount and getting the van you REALLY want or spending tonnes on one that has loads of problems that is always at the dealers being repaired?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Do your research and buy carefully if you are looking for an older van. Plenty of new vans come with problems, and as the post above states, some of them spend a lot of time at the dealers getting fixed. But used vans come with their own problems too, they aren't immune from breaking down or having things break/ go wrong. Just read through these forums.........
    At least with a new van, dealers fix everything for you ( hopefully), but of course, you take the biggest depreciation hit, as you do with almost everything new you buy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I wouldn't spend £45k on my first van. IMHO, the only main improvement that a new van has over an older one is the engine.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Terry

Terry Funster

Buy one now ;) A van bought wisely and at the right money could well prove a good investment (y)IF you know what you are buying and how to check things are all correct / working then it is possible to use it for a year or so then sell it on at a profit (y)
    As you never know for sure if anything will go wrong then bought wisely would mean only loosing a little instead of a shed load :LOL: A van at 10/15k would only loose a couple of k anyway provided you bought it fairly priced :)
    Now the hard thing is the research the IF and fair price ;):LOL:
    I HAVE RECENTLY DONE MY FIRST LOSS ON A VAN -I took a £500 hit but actually gave the buyer the 500 back (he did not ask or anything)or I would have broke even (y) Not bad after using the van for 8 1/2 years (y)(y)(y):LOL:
    terry

12. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

This is a good point. Consider buying in Europe too for even better discounts / favourable currency movements.

13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I would carry on doing your homework/research and wait

and as said do not even think of buying here....plenty of help with importing process on forum.

edit: did not realise you wanted it to live in...

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

At that price range your choice is vast. Depreciation at this level of the market can be negligible. Choose well and in 3 years time the van might still be worth 14/15k. Maybe even more in a part exchange scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Just get one and ENJOY!! I read stuff from peeps on *FUN* saying that 'Maybe in three years time we can afford a new van, and then enjoy the life...........'. Anything can happen in that time frame. Plus, getting an old but 'fit' MH breaks you in, you know what your looking for in the future with an experienced eye.
    Sod tomorrow, enjoy life today. (y) We bought a 21 year old Hymer three years ago, for 7 K. Nothing could replace the fun we have had with 'Sloopy', and have been able to meet so many nice and like-minded *FUNSTERS* into the bargain. Buy and enjoy!!

• Like Like x 10
  16. clyle

clyle

I was not planning on new, Ive only even bought a brand new car once, I was hoping to get a nice big 3-5 year old home for the 45k.

As I plan to live in it I really want it to feel like a big comfy home.

17. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

...and cue posts positing positive positions of smaller vans & the negatives of a big bus :whistle:.

18. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Get something American then. As much as I love my MH I wouldn't live in it full time, too small. Consider a 5th Wheel too both are easily under your budget (especially if you import). Slide outs are far and few between European MHs and give you additional space that you'll appreciate living in them.

19. clyle

clyle

If it were just me id be happy in a box on wheels but I have to make sure it can suit my 9 year kid who I will get at the weekend to drag around on endless fun trips... well ending Sunday before he goes back to his mum.

20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

will probably need to take C1 test then?