Is it really worth investing in satellite?

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by MrsM, Sep 1, 2014.

1. MrsM

MrsM Funster

We are getting a new van in a few weeks and would like to know if it is worth investing in a satellite dish or should we just stick with the standard aerial for our Avtec tv? We have our eye on a 45 cm dome which is around £1200 more than a standard arial.

We intend to spend a lot of time travelling in Spain and are a bit unsure as to current performance of the British satellites in Spain. We are not sure whether to invest in a satellite dish or not, and if we do we don't know which size will actually give us half a chance at a reasonable signal given the satellite changes in February.

We enjoying watching local tv, but would like some contact with the UK as we will be away for several months. What would you do?

Muchas gratias as always!:)

2. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

nothing will get you BBC/ITV/Channel 4 and Channel5 in Spain.

If you subscribe to Sky and have things like Sky1 Sky Movies, Sky Sports etc and take your Sky box (which you shouldn't :whistle:) you will be able to receive your subscribed channels in "most of Spain" with a dome and "more of Spain" with a dish. I don't want to start selling this system over that, will work "here" as it breaks the forum rules, but if you PM me I will tell you whats what.

I have just come back from the South of France and don't watch loads of TV, when I do want it, I want it if that makes sense.

We are going to Gibraltar in December for Christmas and New Year and do not expect to be able to receive "British TV" I will however be able to get English speaking news and current affairs programes

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

A dome will be useless in Spain as would any other dish such as Oyster except perhaps the Northern parts.
    We are at the moment around the Arcachon area in France and our Maxview Crank up dish which is around 550mm dia is picking up all BBC and ITV channels. Could be a cheaper option for you.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  4. eddievanbitz

Hi Mike not strictly true. It depends on if your a Sky subscriber to be honest. http://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/Astra28_2014LR.pdf

Also any dome with a FTA receiver will be able to pick up about 25 news and current affairs programmes (in English) including Sky news and BBC World news on Astra 19.2 pretty much anywhere in Europe

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

True but not the same as picking up what I would call normal channels.

Mike

6. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

internet is the way to go filmon.com works world wide with a local sim . all english channels . (y)STAN

• Like Like x 1
  7. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Internet TV burns around 2gb an hour, so if you are abroad, that is gonna cost shed loads of money on a sim.
    Intelsat 907 @27.5w carries some UK Freeview stations, so if you must have the Soaps, get a Linux box, search for the appropriate BISS codes and :cooler:then, you can get UKTV in most of Southern Europe.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  8. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Work out how often will you watch TV in your motorhome and what you want the tv for. If its just for the news use a radio? I rarely watch tv when away. If you are bored how about buying a few dvds you can get quite a few for £1200 and once watched can sell them on - then theres the charity shops where you can pick up 2nd hand ones really cheaply.

• Like Like x 3
  9. wanderer

wanderer Funster

We are off next week for six months in Southern Spain and have decided to leave our 1.3 metre dish and stand at home . We have bought 10 dvd box sets plus many films and will use Film on if we get a good Wifi signal , i have the cables to transfer from the laptop to the Avtex so hopefully that will be enough for the long winter nights

• Like Like x 3
  10. mariner

I spend my Winters in Southern Spain and have done for a few years, are you planning on a fixed location or just wandering around?

11. wanderer

wanderer Funster

This will be our 6th winter in Spain . We are catching the Economique ferry to Santander on the 13th sept then a week driving down to Calahonda for 2 weeks in our timeshare then a bit of touring until 1st Nov where we have a pitch booked at Cabo De Gato in Almeria where we camp up through the winter . We spent our first year driving down the coast from Calais all the way round until Benidorm staying in over 60 sites and found Cabo to be our favourite . What are your plans ?

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Buy a kindle :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We use filmon but use wi fi to get my soaps.
    We have recorded lots of films prior to going end of Sept on our freesat box but I love to keep up with soaps. Strictly, I'm a celeb, holby city, Downton abbey and the like.
    We never go out of an evening and like to watch tv that we can understand without learning a new language.

14. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

With digital terrestrial TV there a several audio streams broadcast with each channel. So, for instance, if a programme originally recorded in English is shown in Spain or France (etc,) it will be dubbed into the local language on the main audio stream. But... the original English is also broadcast on Audio Stream 2.

All digital TV's I've seen allow selection of which audio stream you want to listen to (see your manual) so if you're just looking for some entertainment for the evening it's simply a case tuning to the locally available channels, skip through until you see something dubbed, click the audio 2 button and job done. In Spain there were even some Euro News channels with English.

If you're a soap addict then this won't help you get your fix of Corrie or Crossroads or whatever it is you watch, but for a bit of entertainment on a wet evening :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. mariner

This will be my 7th winter season and I travel to Santander via Portsmouth on the 30th Sept and then straight down to Cabopino.
    I have a sited caravan at Cabopino and also a small tourer for wandering about when I get bored.
    This is my first winter without the MH. So far I haven't missed it, as the tourer has served me very well over the summer.

16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

There`s nothing to see on TV anyway.
    You can pick up the headlines a tablet / phone.
    Get out in the sun or in a bar at night(y)

• Like Like x 3
  17. eddievanbitz

I tried that! I can't see where to plug the TV in ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. busby

busby Funster

Not been there since 2007..Is Fernando still the manager ?? Had some good times there. BUSBY:):)

19. MrsM

MrsM Funster

Thanks folks for all the fabulous advice!

As we are not big soap fans we have decided not to bother with the dome and pick up what we can with the normal arial. Our Avtex has a built in DVD so going to start a box set collection and give BwB (Bryan) idea with the dubbed programmes a go!

Also I really want to improve my Spanish so we intend to do a lot of what joner8888 suggested too! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrsM

MrsM Funster

We like the look of Cabo so might see you there! I know some of the sites only take long termers in the winter, is this one of them? We are based inland near Murcia so would only want to pop down for a few days at a time.