Is it ony me??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Sep 29, 2013.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

whilst travelling down through Europe these last few weeks and stopping at various camp sites I have become increasingly aware of what I call 'caravan refuges' these are people who are creating permanent or semi permanent pitches, they park up their van's, raise them up on the support stands or what ever and then put up wind blockers, bamboo fencing, and various bits of Tarpaulin.....doesn't it look unsightly??? these pitches end up as 'camp sites within camp site's' will this change the future of how we perceive motor homing :Cool:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Its an extension of those people who create 'Fort Apache' with wind breaks,flagpoles and fairy lights. I've even seen some with gates and windows!

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

how can what static tuggers get up to affect how motorhoming is perceived. Yet another reason to avoid sites. There are many degrees of " homeless, new age/old age travellers" why should we be bothered each to their own. as long as there is room.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

So where should these "caravan refuges" live?

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

in maroc the french do it on the free camps . some even take white plastic chain link fencing and fake grass . plastic flowers in pots etc . its that sort of thing that messed thr free camps up. they have been doing it on french sites twenty years ago its not new there .

6. buttons

buttons Funster

It's not new in France either. Some low cost sites are like refugee camps.
    I find that the UK is becoming similar with more and more site owners now taking seasonal bookings with the caravans or motorhomes being left in a similar state when not occupied.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

might be more as house prices go up and more cant pay the mortgage .
    mind we shall have to wait and see.

8. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

North Devon:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

We went to Northern Italy in 2010, stayed at Camping Lido/

There were plenty of Caravans there as described, some even had roofs built over the top,
    they didn't look very nice and appeared to be occupied by "long stay" travellers.

Some travellers left their vans in situ and flew back to their home country for work etc.

10. alan

alan Funster

Long Term Camping

IMG_0767.jpg

Guilty as charged:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

It won't change the way I perceive motor homing because I'm not a caravaner!
    Just had a great day out on the river Nene with my 2 kids on my kayak.Got mrs Vlad to drop us upstream and meet us at the campsite at Yarwell Mill so we could check it out!
    When we got there it was a great location,mill pond,lake,river,however it was full of caravans with awnings ,fences ,patios,obviously permanent pitches.There were also some static caravans and only a few true tourers .They made Mrs Vlad park outside but let her in too look around,on the way out I asked about site fees at reception to be told that for 2 adults and 2children plus dog it would be £24 per night without hookup :Eeek:
    Then I was told that I was illegally using my Kayak and that if I wanted she would sell me a 7 day licence for £8 :Rofl1:
    Now when you think there's no shop or bar,and that as a near local I know of half a dozen places along that stretch of river where I can pull up and park for nothing.Why the hell would I want too stay there?
    Thank god I'm a motor-homer and not a caravaner!:BigGrin:
    As far as a licence goes never seen a patrol boat yet ,and if spotted feel confident about outrunning them!

Vlad the unstoppable !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Another good reason not to use campsites....

Allan

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats quite common and as been around certainly since the 60,s . it gives shade to the caravans . in summer . even tents camp underneath the shelters . many have them . it also serves in winter to keep the rain and snow off them . spain and portugal have them as well.
    remember years ago the continental frame tent would be a fixture on many camp sites abroad . families lived in then at every opportunity . in fact many lived in them when we toured in the early 60,s . i was only a kid but i knew several families year after year the tents lasted ages under the shelters .