Is it normal to have to empty your van when it goes for a hab check?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BobtheBass, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

i got a reminder yesterday to book my Chausson in for its habitation check in September (!) from Highbridge Caravans, who are about 70 miles away from me. I am aware that the Chausson warranty requires the hab check to be carried out by one of their dealers and there are none significantly closer to home, and I quite like Highbridge so no problem I thought, we are going to France in September from Plymouth and will be driving right past them on the way. Pop in, do the service, off to catch the late ferry, job done. No! Highbridge say that I have to empty the van of all my personal belongings, and as we would be off on our hols there would be a lot of them. Question is, is this a normal requirement? I haven't owned a van long enough for it to need a hab check before so in my naivety I just thought I could perhaps clear a few cupboards on the day, not have to empty the whole vehicle. Can I ask them to reconsider their requirement?

2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I'm not sure but I guess that they have two issues to deal with: 1) access to each cupboard etc. to check for damp etc & 2) security; how would each party react if something of value disappeared while in their care? Could you prove that the item was there in the first place / could they prove that it wasn't?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I always empty my van for a hab check so the engineer has full access to all areas. I don't want him to miss a bit and use the excuse he couldn't gain access.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Don't empty mine but it is 14 years old so just out of warranty :)(y)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Full timers don't.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I don't pay anyone to check my cupboards

• Like Like x 3
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Same here.
    I can recall a couple of full timers emptying their van at a Stratford rally a few years ago so that the hab check could be done. Good job the weather was fine :)

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Really? What a nightmare!

9. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Think it is worth emptying the motorhome to have all the internal walls checked (including those that form part of the cupboards) to maintain the warranty when valid & for peace of mind outside of that. We use it as a chance to sort the contents & decide what to keep or replace plus do thorough clean of interior (as easiest when empty) once it has had its hab & engine service so all ready to go again :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I can see the logic of an empty to check for damp but it makes sense for you to have the check done on the way to the ferry.
    Could you ask Highbridge if they have anywhere you can empty the van and store everything?
    Or is there a Funster in the area with maybe a garage you could empty everything into ?
    Otherwise it looks like 2 journies south in September :(

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

With all our vans we've always taken out enough that the person checking does not have to move anything to get at gas, heater, controls, pumps, plumbing and electrical wiring etc etc. We've never emptied it however and there has never been any question, with the 3 different firms used, of us doing so.

That said; we knew the firms and personnel and they knew us and we had dealt with them over some time. I can see that a firm who do not know you might be more leery about the possibility of you claiming for something missing afterwards etc. It must also be a lot easier to do a hab check if you don't have things to move.

12. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

habitation check is this something done by the customs people at dover? if so then get them all out little blighters get everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, we do that as well :)
    More of a source of amusement to the rest of us winding up commiserating with our fellow Funsters and speculating how much overweight they were :LOL:

14. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We have just dropped ours off at Highbridge. It takes about 1 hour and a bit to get there for us so leave it there. We emptied ours. But they are very helpful you could ask them which cupboards they need access to and to let you know. Then stack stuff from those in the shower or wardrobe. We have a 510 as well so if you ask them now they have one to look at and let you know. Ours will be with them for 2 weeks as there is some warranty work as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Just had ours done by a mobile man and he wanted access to every space.
    He needed to check all safety features and all gas taps and pipes and also check all cronies for damp.
    £120 Including Vat. 2and a half hours, very thorough.
    Mitch.
    PS. Thanks Brian (Icantremember)

16. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I'm not surprised Highbridge are sending out reminders for September now, I remember trying to book our caravan in for a service there previously and they were always booked up well in advance, as for hab check we didn't empty ours as the company collected the van from our storage site and returned it for us.