Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Some of them on the m6 near wednesbury

The dark country....... :)

some numpty thought it would be great idea to introduce an HGV to a motorway from a standing start going up hill...

Like that was ever going to work...... in Denver where I first saw the system large vehicles are banned at peak times and all the slips go down to join the freeway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee - I learned motorway driving on the M42 which only at that time went to and from Bromsgrove, they hadn't joined it ip to the M5 then. So I could get on it OK the first time I actually drove on one. The regular journey was to the Motorcycle Museum/NEC junction, so I learned how to get on it, on the return journey.

I of course also had the advantage of taking some of my early driving lessons in Handsworth where for some unknown reason, there were always a lot of cars - Nissan Sunnys mainly with 'local' people apparently of stunted growth who could hardly see over the steering wheel - that they built without indicators.

It was odd they didn't sell more eg. where we lived - Kidderminster - really as I expect they must have been cheaper. But anyway, it gave me the same ability as a clairvoyant to anticipate when anyone was going to suddenly turn left or right, reverse off the pavement etc, without prior warning, very early in my driving experience ......... learn that or die was the choice really ......

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
they've got that on some parts of the elevated section of the M4 coming out of London.
The places where I saw it in the US the joining traffic came down to meet the freeway and last time we were there there were speed signs (variable electronic ones) that advised the speed of the traffic you were joining. I was glad Martin was driving and I was navigating as it was so busy......

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On the continent it is quite normal to see vehicles stationary at the sometimes shorter slip roads, perhaps because they realise that that they have to give way.

This occurs frequently here in Spain, where you have multiple exits / entries all at the same place. You have to stop at end of slip road as there is an exit before where you are entering & at least one after. All the vehicles in the exit/entry lane , that you are trying to enter, have priority. Additionally , once in it you cannot enter the motorway directly until the solid white line changes to dotted. You have to learn that you have to accelerate flat -out . A bit like joining the Autobahn !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Same here - I have even got a clean driving licenc

at the moment.

Having a Spanish one where you start off with 12 point & lose them for offences , you actually can get bonus points. A maximum of 3 for careful driving ( not being caught !! :LOL:) . So I have 15 & that makes me a better driver than you.(y):LOL:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
.............. but when circumstances allow speed should be kept close to the limit.

And who decides how close is close?

As stated in previously speedomters are notoriously wrong so how close do you think you are?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
drivers who do 20/25 in 30 zones and then 30 in a 40 zone - slow down from 25 in a 30 to 20 as they go past a speed camera do my friggin head in, they must think they can score some brownie points :(
30 is the limit........NOT a target !!!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Overtaking is my gripe! When did the English driving public become totally incapable of overtaking a slower vehicle? Regularly I'll be on a long straight single carriageway in the motorhome, obviously I am restricted to 50mph on this class of road. I will invariably get some muppet tailgating me for miles, when they could just overtake and get on with their journey!
On the flip side, when in the car, I will quite often have to do a line of 3 or 4 cars tailgating an HGV doing 40 on the same kind of road. I check my mirrors, and nobody has got the hint to overtake.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Overtaking is my gripe! When did the English driving public become totally incapable of overtaking a slower vehicle? Regularly I'll be on a long straight single carriageway in the motorhome, obviously I am restricted to 50mph on this class of road. I will invariably get some muppet tailgating me for miles, when they could just overtake and get on with their journey!
On the flip side, when in the car, I will quite often have to do a line of 3 or 4 cars tailgating an HGV doing 40 on the same kind of road. I check my mirrors, and nobody has got the hint to overtake.
Couldn't agree more. + the amount who then proceeded to overtake me on double white lines, solid hatched cross road areas,etc; list is endless.
I have returned to the Uk this year & last for first time in some years. The standard of driving in UK is abysmal.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Couldn't agree more. + the amount who then proceeded to overtake me on double white lines, solid hatched cross road areas,etc; list is endless.
I have returned to the Uk this year & last for first time in some years. The standard of driving in UK is abysmal.
You raise another of my gripes, people who don't understand that hatched areas with broken white lines (that one will see on many single carriageways) do not mean no overtaking! They are designed to give extra spacing to the opposing lanes, but overtaking is perfectly legal.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You raise another of my gripes, people who don't understand that hatched areas with broken white lines (that one will see on many single carriageways) do not mean no overtaking! They are designed to give extra spacing to the opposing lanes, but overtaking is perfectly legal.
Providing its for an emergency manoeuvre, or your overtaking a road vehicle travelling at 10MPH or less???

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Providing its for an emergency manoeuvre, or your overtaking a road vehicle travelling at 10MPH or less???
Nope, incorrect, that is only if the white lines are solid, broken white lines indicate that overtaking is allowed.

The Bogtrotter

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Taxi drivers are annoying me, today I had to wait while a cabby dropped off his fare stopped in the middle of the road even though there was plenty of parking space. He was just too lazy to pull over.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Another suggestion. Being stuck in a long queue of stationary traffic, particularly in the dark, and being dazzled by everybody's brake lights. And all because they're too damned lazy to use their handbrake.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Another suggestion. Being stuck in a long queue of stationary traffic, particularly in the dark, and being dazzled by everybody's brake lights. And all because they're too damned lazy to use their handbrake.
I second that, however modern vehicles seem to be designed around this behaviour! Stop start and Hybrid vehicles use the brake pedal as an actuator. I had a Honda Insight as a courtesy car a little while back (god awful car, don't ever buy one). Stopping at lights with brakes on, the engine cut. I put the handbrake on and released the foot pedal and the engine jumped back into life!

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thought they were the dedicated motorcycle lane:whistle:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thought they were the dedicated motorcycle lane:whistle:
Ironically, I believe that a lot of them were installed for that precise reason, to give more space for filtering motorcyclists! :D

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012

Not so, these should be treated as a reserved area and, should be entered only if "necessary and it is safe so to do", using such an area for a routine overtake would lead to some unwelcome attention from a Traffic Officer if it was observed.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not so, these should be treated as a reserved area and, should be entered only if "necessary and it is safe to do so".
Indeed, which is the exact same wording as for broken white lines. One should only ever overtake if it is necessary and safe to do so.

{Edit to add]
I have done this with a traffic officer following me on countless occasions.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I think driving standards have definitely gone down over the past 10 years or so.

I have driven over 60,000 miles on the continent over the past 10 years and much much more in this country over the past 54 years and every time I get back from the continent I can honestly say that I see more near accidents, more speeding, more idiots on phones on the section from Dover to the M25 than I have seen in the previous 10 weeks or so on the continent.

I say every time I get back that I honestly think we have the worst drivers in Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back