Is it me or what?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StickyWicket, Nov 19, 2014.

1. StickyWicket

StickyWicket Funster

Is it me or is the driving on our roads getting worse - so many people now seem to be going through traffic lights once they are well and truly red and is indicating no longer required on motorways? It just seems to be common practice not to indicate whether changing lanes or leaving the motorway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

There certainly seems to be a major quality control problem with indicator bulb manufacturers at present.

• Like Like x 4
  3. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

short answer is yes, there is also the habit of cutting the corner when turning right and failure to treat mini roundabouts correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

Cyclists must be getting in motor vehicles somehow:Eeek:

• Like Like x 10
  5. Borderland

Borderland Funster

I find the biggest problem is when others are joining a motorway. Instead of matching their speed to fit in with the traffic on the motorway they start moving across to the inside lane and start blasting their horn if you don't get out of the way.
    Also, why do a lot of drivers use front fog lights when it is not foggy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

No! It's you! ::bigsmile: Drivers have been doing this for years, it's just that you are noticing it more ::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

drivers who do 20/25 in 30 zones and then 30 in a 40 zone - slow down from 25 in a 30 to 20 as they go past a speed camera do my friggin head in, they must think they can score some brownie points :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Because most of these Women don't know they're switched on!:reel::blush:

• Like Like x 4
  9. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Source of heated discussion (We don't argue) between myself and SWMBO it is of course my fault as I should slow down to let them in. No says I there is a give way marking so they slow down to slot in behind me. If there is no room for me to pull over to let them in I am supposed to brake and slow down ?
    Like most road rules - do we insist on what is right and risk an accident or drive safely and let them in? For me I would rather avoid an accident and try and control my own road rage.

• Like Like x 4
  10. keith

keith Funster

They are speed LIMITS not targets.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

This might have something to do with badly calibrated speedometers, have you noticed the difference between the speed shown on the dash and that shown on your satnav?

In my experience the satnav is the more accurate indicator of speed and the speedo is usually indicating around 15% faster meaning that if you think you're doing, say, 28 mph in a 30 zone you're actually doing 23 / 24 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

The trouble with indicators is that WHEN people bother to switch them on they don't give any thought to what they are actually saying with the indicator, switch on two junctions before turning, don't cancell on roundabouts, use them on motorways to say I'm coming over like it or not.

13. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I presumed that new cars did not have indicators! :rolleyes: Don't get me started on red lights :Eeek:

Driving standards round here are ****** ********* :swear2:

As for cyclists.............:imoutahere:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Using the motorbike quite a lot, and riding to the conditions, and road surface, this habit of cars who think that the centre white line is something to line their bonnet emblem up with, is proving to be bl**dy dangerous!
    Taking a left hand bend on a bike means moving over to your side of the centre line, in order to get the maximum view, only to be confronted with a large 4x4, two feet into my side of the carriageway.........:Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Oddly, we have noticed that even in countries that are well known for some iffy driving habits, folk seem to be able ( 90% of the time ) to join motorways correctly, getting up to the speed of the traffic flow before joining.. In the UK in the past 10 years or so that ability seems to be getting rarer and rarer..
    And do not get me started on bloody fog lights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Borderland

Borderland Funster

For same reasons as you and out of courtesy I would pull over to other lane, if safe to do s0, or slow down and let them move over. What I often find is that they approach the motorway relatively slowly which means having to slow down to let them in and then they suddenly accelerate to a speed much faster than I am travelling. Why can't they adjust their road speed on the slip road so they can slot in to a gap without hindering others.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Regretfully it's all a part of our "must go/get it done faster" attitude that now pervades all of society. You see it on the pavements, in shopping queues, mobile phones (we used to have to wait to find a phone box - remember that?). As I get older I'm starting to take a more relaxed view of these folk, rushing towards their end. But at the same time I take great care not to hold anyone up if I can help it, whether it be maintaining the correct/ safe speed - they've obviously got something more important to do than me, although I'm quite capable of speeding too. That's what the 3 points and £60 fine got me!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I was taught that on the slip road you matched your speed to that of the traffic you were joining so you could join the traffic correctly if there was a space. The joining traffic has to give way not the other way round.

I quite like the system on some busy freeways in the US where the joining traffic was controlled by lights at the top of the on ramp.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Quite right.
    The highway code says give priority to traffic already on the motorway. If on a motorway I am quite happy to give way to others joining the motorway (out of safety and courtesy) it is when they demand right of way and sound horns and make gestures to get out of the way that annoys me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

Some of them on the m6 near wednesbury

• Like Like x 1