is it me or are motorhomes way overpriced here

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by michael1956, Aug 22, 2014.

1. michael1956

michael1956 Read Only Funster

well I was thinking of returning to motor homing. after two trips with a caravan to Italy its never again to that for a game. anyway I have been looking on ebay, autotrader etc for a motorhome. and have gone to look at a few which have turned up to be local. well what I found so far, is dealers who just add on 1000,s and the say O look at me I have reduced it from plain silly to just silly. others have been only fit for pigs ( sorry I know pigs are cleaner ). so whats going on.
    when I sold my hymer I made sure that all the systems worked, that it was as new inside and that I was sure nothing needed doing bar diesel for some time to come. The first person to view it with his family, was over joyed and took it away that day. O how I rule that day, but the mileage was over the 100,000 and I wanted more space.
    I have send emails to german dealers as their motorhomes are cheaper then ours even taking in the change to uk reg. yet they don't return mail. years back they got not do enough for a buyer.
    My aim is not high, something like a good a class that as been looked after. but I am not looking to fund a sellers school fees for the next few years, or looking to pay for a 10 year old motorhome that cost less when new. so is it me, or our motor homers being taken for a ride.
    michael

• Like Like x 2
  2. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

That's why we bought a jumbo panel van, low mileage, then we've paid low-ish end double figures for the conversion. We'd have paid approx late 30k to buy a 2 yr old, low mileage van otherwise.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you may well be correct.. but the price of a motor home or anything else for that matter, is set at what people will pay.. no more, no less.

market forces dictate prices...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Strange. When we attended shows earlier in the year we thought that prices had, if anything, come down a bit from last year. Only an impression, nothing scientific. Jim is right though, the market rules.

5. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

If you wait for the end of the season, coming shortly, prices drop thousands as people dont want to keep them over winter.

6. mentaliss

mentaliss

Under the 'code of practice' motor manufactures, motorhomes, most German Manufacture's who sell into the Uk through their dealer network are not encouraged to sell their products to customers who already have the benefit of such dealerships within their own country, however IF you were to make an appearance at any such German dealership with a determined mind to purchase I know they will accommodate you:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. michael1956

hi, fast replies. I am not sure re market forces. I am lucky not to need HP to buy things, but looking around showrooms etc, its all about HP. then the buyer is sort of locked in to dealerships. they don't own the motorhome etc, cant sell it private ( I know that some people try to ) and then they part ex or sell it back to the dealer. so its sort of dealers who run the market. A case in point. some years back I purchased a morgan sports car. always liked the look of them and the come the day I got one. looking at magazines etc the prices looked like well not an investment but I was not going to loss my shirt on one, like many other cars. How wrong was I. well I had this car two months and it was never out the repair shop. not due to age, it was only three years old. but because of rubbish build. the windscreen creaked due to frame screws contacting the glass. there was rust inside the wheels, paint was falling off and I hated the thing. so contacting all these garages with their adverts saying we want morgans, only to find that it was always sell or return. none would buy the car out right. I found a London dealer who would and yes I lost my shirt, in fact I lost lots of shirts and a few suits on that. so I think its much the same with motorhomes as it is with expensive cars, ie dealers call the shots.
    Michael.
    ps good advice re out of season buyng

• Like Like x 2
  8. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

I do wonder if we may be about to see a glut of used on the market over the next year or so.
    Many I know have jumped in to the world of motorhoming without trying it out and little research and as a result a few are already considering parting company with there latest toy, if that was to be multiplied across the land ???

• Like Like x 2
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Surely HP deals are there only for people who need them, just like cars and anything else (Oh, heck, just realised BH weekend so more sofa adverts). For those who don't need HP a deal can still be made. Remember, the forecourt price is only the opening gambit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I agree old MHs are over priced but as already pointed out it is just supply and demand.

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Over priced or not the dealers seemed to be shifting stuff at Malvern, and to be fair some of what I saw did not deserve to sell.

• Like Like x 1
  12. michael1956

Hi I am not knocking HP. but just stating that to my mind it allows dealers to push up the prices. and once locked into a HP plan you are also very locked into the dealers prices of PX, resell if they want it at all. and this way they set the prices. michael

13. dickieo

dickieo Read Only Funster

I asked a dealer just for a test to give me a price for my 2007 Roller team Granduca 295P , it is fitted with air con , flat screen tv solar panel inverter air suspension oven , microwave etc 40.000 miles in very good condition he priced it at £ 18.000 , thats about 10.000 under the market price , If he had bought it i know it would have been on his forecourt for roughly 30.000 .

14. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Have you tried Campirama in Germany? In our travels we have had a number of fellow motorhomers comment about how good they are after noticing their sticker on the back of our van. We are the third owners of our 2002 Hymer, I still have the original paperwork, it was 35595 euro in 2002 with a number of extras. With the exchange rate of 0.61457 to the £ that made it about £21000! Even with the VAT that would have made it some bargain! I often wonder what the cost would have been for same van in UK, I suspect considerably more!

Even with 20% VAT and the current euro perhaps savings can still be made?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  15. michael1956

Hi, yes looked at campirama. but we are also working out how many nights in hotels the price of a motorhome would give us. yes I know its not so much fun, but maybe its not so expensive. in the mean time I have an empty spot on my driveway that's calling to be filled. michael

16. JJ

JJ Funster

We did some research on buying older motorhomes in Germany.

We went to 9 or 10 "dealers".

We visited these people and Frankie bought her Hymer Camp 51 from them.

They replied to her emails

Others didn't.

http://home.mobile.de/MYCARAVANUG#ses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JJ :cool:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. kglblue

kglblue Funster

We asked for a discount for paying cash and no part ex, we were offered £500, off £27995. The salesman said they lose a chunk of money if we don't use the Blackhorse finance deal that is offered. We had arranged our own much, much cheaper finance, we went elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When we bought our current van we were cash buyers (well, debit card so virtually the same) without any requirement for credit or part exchange.

The forecourt price was reduced in friendly negotiations to a level we were comfortable with and inclusive of new front tyres, new timing belt &c, service & MoT. The dealer later paid for new habitation and ignition keys as it turned out that a set had been lost.

That's one reason we would go back to Camper NE again.

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

I bank with Lloyds and went for a full financial over haul week before last. He was mortified when he saw the rate of my car loan and it was Black Horse. He said Lloyds were pleased to be shot of them basically and to avoid anything in future with Black Horse. Did a deal where I consolidated and have saved myself 3k over 2 years !!!! So avoid Black Horse like plague !

• Like Like x 1
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Cash is not an incentive for a discount, in fact is a disincentive for the dealer. As previously said, the dealer can make more on the finance than the sale of the van. On the other hand, no trade in is a distinct advantage..

Long time ago for my sins I sold kitchens, and if I didn't get the customer to take out finance I made little or no sales profit. ie wages. ..all the profit was in the finance , not the kitchen.

The worst way to buy a van is on HP.. far better to get a bank loan.. and if the bank won't lend, maybe it's because you can't afford it in the first place..

• Like Like x 4