Is it legal to park in laybys over night? (1 Viewer)

purpledoghouse

Free Member
Sep 4, 2010
lancashire
Funster No
Exp
since Aug 2010!
Hi

We are very new to this and I was wondering if it is possible or legal/safe to stop in lay bys overnight? I have noticed that some say no overnight parking so I would rule these out but others don't seem to have restrictions on them. It just seems to me that some of them on back roads and in the middle of nowhere could be good stop over points...are there rules to how to do this and if so could you please advise.

Cheers

Purpledoghouse:winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it has no sign stating otherwise - stop there!

You can also stop at many pub carparks if you have a word with the landlord...and buy a few drinks or a meal!

Try to go 'off the beaten track' for a quieter nights sleep. Country laybys just off the motorway...or even industrial estates where lorries often park overnight can be quieter as long as you are roadside and gone first thing....as with ALL wild camping, arrive late - leave early!

Be sensible, be safe and leave nothing but an empty space - and you should be fine!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It would appear that if you follow the highway code on parking there shouldn't be a problem.

If you park on a layby on a main road with a speed limit of more than 30mph you must have parking lights (if you weigh more than 1525 kg which almost all MH will). I wouldn't fancy leaving side-lights on all night as could end up with a flat battery.I must say I've never seen any one showing lights in a layby at night.

Many years ago you could get parking lights with a single bulb which was clear at the front and red at the back which just clipped on to a window. Lights are only required for parking to be displayed on the vehicles off-side. I'm sure such a thing could be made, and if using a high intensity LED would use next to no power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I cannot see the logic in allowing you to park your vehicle is perfectly legal taxed & insured but not allowing you to sleep in it on a night .

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I cannot see the logic in allowing you to park your vehicle is perfectly legal taxed & insured but not allowing you to sleep in it on a night .

Caravan act circa 1966 ish. Before then you could stop anywhere you pleased, farmers fields, laybys, end of airport runways if you were a heavy sleeper(joke!)

Then, as caravanning boomed, it all got a little out of control - so they brought in an act that stopped people from camping on any piece of land that took their fancy for a few weeks. From that day, they had to stay on 'certified locations'

This is the basis of much of the limitations - council have been allowed to enforce bylaws to tighten up on beauty spots and other places where it becomes a problem

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't care if it is legal or not...

Allow me to explain...

I have lived in my van(s) for over twenty years. I park in laybys overnight all over the place but never where they say not to and never in sight of any residence.

In Bath I have lived on the side of a road during the summer months for fifteen years. (The van is even on Google Maps!) The police have called twice in all those years. The last time they actually said they thought (note the word "thought") there was a by law that said I shouldn't be there. That was over twelve years ago. No one has been back with hand cuffs... (that will bring on Funsters' wit I bet)

The essential secret is to park in such a way as to avoid disturbing anyone.

I have noticed that the police are unable to enforce all the laws of the land and an old bloke, living peacefully in his van, keeping himself to himself, not disturbing anyone and not causing any complaints doesn't feature very high up on their "To Deal With" list.

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Caravan act circa 1966 ish. Before then you could stop anywhere you pleased, farmers fields, laybys, end of airport runways if you were a heavy sleeper(joke!)

Then, as caravanning boomed, it all got a little out of control - so they brought in an act that stopped people from camping on any piece of land that took their fancy for a few weeks. From that day, they had to stay on 'certified locations'

This is the basis of much of the limitations - council have been allowed to enforce bylaws to tighten up on beauty spots and other places where it becomes a problem

Can we get it right Rainbow Chaser and others.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, makes it an offence for a landowner to permit a person travelling in a caravan to bring it onto his land for the purpose of human habitation, unless a site licence is in place or certain exemptions apply. One of these exemptions is to permit one caravan to be stationed on the land for a maximum of 28 days in a calender year. (The term Caravan includes campervans and motorhomes)

A prior act The Public health Act 1937 had the same restrictions on camping in any structure or vehicle. The part relating to vehicles was assumed into the 1960 Act. The 1937 Act still applies for camping in tents or other structures.

Nowhere in either Act, is there any restrictions on the person in the caravan. It is up to the landowner to prevent the breach of the Act.

The local planning authority enforce this act. It is the authority that would prosecute the landowner and not the person in the caravan.

The landowner has to requested the person in the caravan to move and if they refuse, then the incident becomes trespass. The landowner would then need to apply to the courts for an order to evict the person. If the incident becomes violent then the police can intervene in respect of that offence.

The police would not be involved unless there are 6 or more people or vehicles involved then the police can invoke other Public order legislation.

The use of no parking signs are a way of the landowner to display to the local authority that he has not given permission for the person to station the caravan. This could be seen as mitigating circumstances if the local authority took the landowner to court.

The local authority can set up regulation banning parking and what activities can take place in parked vehicles. It can enforce these against the caravan owner.

If a vehicle is parked on the highway (including Lay-bys) it must conform to any traffic regulations and not be causing an obstruction.

In UK law unless something is specifically declared illegal, it is assumed to be legal. The opposite rule apples to other EU countries.

John

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back