Is it illegal to alter your satnav while driving

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gorse Hill, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Just a thought, while going to work this morning I needed to change address and did so on the sat nav, is this illegal to do whilst driving, interesting to know for future reference. Thks

2. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Dunno, but I once spilled my beer when trying to change mine. Now I always leave it alone :)

• Like Like x 5
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I understand that's it's illegal to do anything that might distract you from driving, entering data into your satnav is much the same as texting

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Some sat navs you have to accept the disclaimer that states in some places it is illegal. Don't think it is here but if you had an accident, or even wondered across the road, the coppers can say driving without due care and attention. Just pull over, probably best for the sat nav to pick up a new destination whilst stationary anyhow.

• Like Like x 2
  5. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

Not specifically an offence but Rule 150 of the Highway Code gives advice regarding use of in car electronic devices and possible distractions.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

Proving non compliance with any section of the Highway Code goes a long way to evidencing an offence of driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving (as far as the courts are concerned).

If you have a crash causing serious injury or death then the powers that be will look VERY closely at any electronic devices in your vehicle.

Failure to follow the advice of the Highway Code may provide evidence in support of an offence. If a death is involved, prison may follow.

To re-cap, not specifically an offence but it's good advice to follow the Highway Code's advice.

Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davejen

davejen Funster

Why muddy the water?, it's STUPID and ILLEGAL.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

You could be charged if caught falling to be in charge of a motor vehicle just like mobile phone but every one just ignores those laws so I would not worry to much
    bill

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I would think a copper would take a pretty dim view and regard it as similar to a mobil offence :( but that is only my opinion, I'm not a copper:p

• Like Like x 2
  9. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

At your peril

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I personally don't use my mobile while driving and set at nave before setting of normally
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  11. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

But like ALL of us:sneaky: we do some pretty silly things in cars and vans that I'm sure if the Police could see wouldn't go down too well;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Sat nav in my car can be set hands free (well according to the handbook) with voice recognition. In practice its so difficult to get it to understand anything I say its easier to stop and set it by hand.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

It's not illegal but if you cause an accident that is put down to you doing anything other than concentrating on driving, ie, changing a CD, playing with the radio, eating, drinking, smoking, swatting anoying backseat children, putting on make up then you are in the doo doo.

You can also be done for dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention even if no accident is caused.

And exception was made to make holding a mobile phone an offence in itself whether an accident is caused or not.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Illegal or not, my wife was killed by someone concentrating more on his radio than driving. I rest my case........

• Like Like x 2
  15. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

what is traffic cop? Thought they were only TV's series. Haven't seen one the roads around here for years.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Nik

Nik Funster

Mostly good advice above but there is an offence, which not specific, is or can be used as a 'catch all' and that is:
    'Failure to have proper control of vehicle or full view of the road and traffic ahead, or using a hand-held mobile phone while driving (CU80)'
    Section 41D Road Traffic act 1988.
    Whilst this IS primarily used for drivers using mobile phones etc, whilst driving, it can also be applied to any situation where you remove a hand from the steering wheel, except to change gear or operate a control system in the vehicle (window, de-mister, etc) provided that your control of the vehicle is not affected.
    IF you are having a fag, eating/drinking, operating the radio/CD, twiddling the satnav or doing anything where your attention and actions detract from your 'proper control' of the vehicle then you can, depending on the individual circumstances at the time i.e danger caused, be summonsed or given an FPN (E) for this offence.

It is often solely dependant on the interpretation of what has occurred, by the officer involved, as to whether this section is applied instead of a more serious or defined offence.

Either way you stand to go through a period of angst whilst you await a court appearance, or the FPN is processed and your driving licence returned with the requisite points attached plus you have to pay the fine and then ASAP inform your insurance company that you have been prosecuted, with the associated rise in premium for the next 5 years.

Hope this helps.
    Safe driving
    Best regards
    Nik.

• Like Like x 3
  17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Many TV adverts encourage people to play with a computer screen when on the move.

• Like Like x 3
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

As I thought, not advisable for reason given but wasn't sure if it was an offence , and very rarely do I do it and probably the first time that's what made me think about it, however having thought about it what if you were using your mobile as a sat nav which is certainly an offence but how different is this from a sat nav
    As I said only ever done it a couple of times but a bit like going over 70, which I occasional do, no ones perfect

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Er, no not ALL of us ignore them! I do NOT use my mobile at all in the car if I'm driving, and neither does hubby. If we are on our own and can't stop to answer we just ignore it until we can or ring the person back assuming its registered their number ... NO phone call is important enough to risk killing or injuring someone, you or someone else! About time smoking was banned whilst driving ....

• Like Like x 3