LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The guy that owned our van before us,,,, had a "Dometic" all singing Air-Con/heater unit fitted ....

Next to bloody useless unless you are on a good 16 amp EHU... :(

And inverter is on max when using that....

Is it possible to do away with,,,, and put a standard Fan Assisted Skylight in the hole.. ?

Could not sleep with it on anyway... :sleep::(

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I have a 1 & 2l , Honda... but I think the 1l. would be screaming it`s guts out..:(

And you know the thoughts of a lot about on site genny`s,,,, especially when we would use it... at night.. ;):D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok,, thinking a bit out of the box here...
You could remove the guts of the AC unit and fit a power fan in it instead.. No disturbance to any seals and no possible new leak points...

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Spoke to the buyer of my Burstner (sold it in July) , first thing he did was remove the roof aircon unit (too noisy anyway) and fit a roof vent. Said it was straightforward and let loads of light in over that area - wished I'd thought of it myself:doh:

(y)

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Spoke to the buyer of my Burstner (sold it in July) , first thing he did was remove the roof aircon unit (too noisy anyway) and fit a roof vent. Said it was straightforward and let loads of light in over that area - wished I'd thought of it myself:doh:

(y)

That was my thinking, if it can be done,,, it`s right by the eye level oven & grill so would be good for getting rid of the heat and cooking odours..

I can only presume the middle roof light was removed to facilitate the A/C... as I have not seen another model the same as ours with A/C in that position..

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
As you know our van is the same model as yours and has a roof light where your air con is fitted the mesurements are 40cm x40cm. You may have to remove the inside trim to get the true size of your hole in the roof. Alternatively have a look at the fitting instructions of your air con unit this will give you the cut out size.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have a 'Trav-L-Cool' system fitted in the roof. Works on 12volts, can be used with either a two speed fan, two speed extract, on the move, or as a water cooling fresh air input. I have to admit it works very well since I repaired it, and soon cools the inside down in a hot day. However, if the humidity is very high, it's not as effective.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Heike roof vents seem to do the same thing without all the fuss Mo
will let you know how well after they are fitted Friday.
Roger & Sheila

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Very interesting !!
We also have all singing n dancing air con and the same thought has occured to me, for the same reasons.
Let me know how you get on with it
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Just as an addition
We found that a 9 inch desk fan, plugged into the inverter did the job just as well and quiter than aircon and we could leave it on while sleeping
Got me excited now !!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's not a problem Mo and if you put a roof light in it will probably be a better seal because they don't have moving parts/may be a fan to break the seals
terry

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The best fans in the world are "Fantastic Fans" American, will fit a 40cm x 40cm hole left by your Air Con unit

The European versions just don't have the same power v noise ratio in my opinion

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back