Is it compulsory to have a dog with a motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just seems like everyone has a dog in a motorhome....

My thinking is that it can restrict where you go and what you want to do and the main idea of a motorhome is to travel where you wish, many people get a motorhome when the kids have flown and now they can do what they want and then get a dog...! Isn't that a bit like having another kid....? Alway having to take the dog into consideration..
People always say they clear up the mess on sites but there's always plenty to find..! And if you've got a dog your always a suspect.

Buying a second hand motorhome with dog hairs around would put me off from buying. I can understand single people having a dog for company but couples have each other.... I wonder if a poll would give some % of who do...?

Just wondered....?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a lot of people buy a motorhome BECAUSE they have dogs so that they can all go on holiday without the bother of kennels. Hence the large number with dogs. To answer your question we have two dogs, without them I doubt my wife would take her twice daily walk leaving me in peace and quiet, hee hee.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well we have always had a dog and when we retired wanted to continue our travels so a Motorhome is by far the best way to enjoy retirement with our companions and also see a bit of Europe in the winter,not everyone has had children but we do understand that a dog is for life and can be a little bit of a tie at times,motor homing is the perfect solution for a lot of dog owners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

My thinking is that it can restrict where you go and what you want to do and the main idea of a motorhome is to travel where you wish, many people get a motorhome when the kids have flown and now they can do what they want and then get a dog...! Isn't that a bit like having another kid....? Alway having to take the dog into consideration..
People always say they clear up the mess on sites but there's always plenty to find..! And if you've got a dog your always a suspect.

Buying a second hand motorhome with dog hairs around would put me off from buying. I can understand single people having a dog for company but couples have each other.... I wonder if a poll would give some % of who do...?

Just wondered....?
most vans are pre owned by old folk, so lots worse than dog hairs being left around:imoutahere:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Is it compulsory to have a dog with a motorhome?
No, why would you think that?

My thinking is that it can restrict where you go and what you want to do and the main idea of a motorhome is to travel where you wish
No it doesn't; we go where we wish and do what we want to do. The main idea of having a motohome or anything else for that matter is to do what you want to do and not what others think you should be doing.

Isn't that a bit like having another kid....? Alway having to take the dog into consideration..
It's no problem taking the dog in to consideration. We would never dream of not taking the dog in to consideration

I don't care what other people think. We clean up after our dog but I agree others don't; I can't control that.

Buying a second hand motorhome with dog hairs around would put me off from buying.
Well, don't buy it then, buy new, simples

I can understand single people having a dog for company but couples have each other.
I can understand couples having dogs and I am sure many others do too.

I wonder if a poll would give some % of who do...?
100% less you according to this --->
Just seems like everyone has a dog in a motorhome

Each to their own (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We bought our MH because of our dog. He's our first dog and we treat him as part of the family. That being the case we won't leave him in kennels when we go away - hence the motorhome!

As for dog hairs and mess. The only thing a dog owner can do is make sure they clear up after their own dog. We have a vacuum cleaner is the MH and that deals with any hairs. We took the carpets out of the living area and stored they away as it's easier to keep the floor clean and whoever buys our vehicle after U.S. Will have pristine carpets.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Most certainly . . . . . . . NOT!
Well, not for us anyway although I can appreciate why some folks do and I know how much enjoyment they get, both owners and dogs.
But what amazes me is how some folks cope with the number and size of the dogs they take with them in, very often, small motorhomes
I remember when away earlier this year watching the hab door of a van, not much more than 5m long, open and out jumped an Alsation a Labrador and what looked like a Jack Russel, followed by 2 well built adults and 2 children of around 8 and 10 years old.
There's 2 of us in a 7m+ van and even then we keep tripping over each other.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not much more than 5m long, open and out jumped an Alsation a Labrador and what looked like a Jack Russel, followed by 2 well built adults and 2 children of around 8 and 10 years old.

must have been 'cozy' at bed time :eek:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We opted for a MH so that we can take Charlie with us abroad rather than flying
him over.

We have cheated a bit as he's only a small dog.

BUT he thinks he's a big dog (y)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Buying a motorhome in the first place was so that we could take Susie with us, she's passed away now and we have decided not to get another, this means we can fly back from Spain this winter, we have had all day trips out that we couldn't have done with a dog, you are tied with them but people who get dogs realise this and are happy with the compromise.
We are going to fly to America in the near future, we couldn't have left
Susie in kennels for the amount of time we are going to spend there, she was our baby. There's lots of stuff we plan to do that we couldn't with Susie.
This is our loss,and we cope with it!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We love dogs but feel they are tying so we compromise, he doesn't shed any hairs, doesn't need walking/feeding/cleaning up and is usually well behaved (y)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nice dog; shame about the car........ :imoutahere:

Sorry - could not resist.......:blush::getmecoat:
Awwww, we love it. 1992 Eunos Roadster. Fully loaded Japanese Domestic Import. Power steering, electric everything, a/c, the lot. Loads of fun after driving the MoHo (y) :p

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Awwww, we love it. 1992 Eunos Roadster. Fully loaded Japanese Domestic Import. Power steering, electric everything, a/c, the lot. Loads of fun after driving the MoHo (y) :p
Yep, recognised it for a Mazda - the Eunos is stunning good fun for the money. Lovely little car.

........P.S. Can you re-do my highlights for me? :imoutahere:

I'll get me coat for a second time.:getmecoat:

....still recovering from @peterc10 being rude about my own pride and joy.... ;)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

Just wondered....?

Yep I have noticed it too
Dogs are fashionable at the moment
But so are tattoo's
Had working dogs but never had a lap dog
Still it keeps people happy

My favourite dog sighting was a dog in a kiddie trailer, behind a push bike.

We have serious problems in the world, posh doggie coats and collars don't wash with me

Ah well

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better