LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Haven't had a scotch pie for years, never found them daaan sarf. :(
They are called a pasty down here. They haven't learnt to make round ones but the idea is the same. Wrap an opaque covering around something you wouldn't eat if you saw it naked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Had my fingers in a few pie's. ;)

John.

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 10

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe it started off a big pie and you got a slice of it,

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ahh, the Mad O'Rourke's Cow Pie, came complete with horns sticking out of the crust. Memories are made of this!

You did get PROPER food at Colm's extablishments, didn't you? And beer.

(Colm O'Rourke, owner of the Brewery of the same name - pint pf Little Lump'ommer bitter, anyone? Used to live in Bewdley. He had a pub in Kidderminster too - the only pub anywhere in England with an inland lighthouse!)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'm going to say my two penneth on pies. Royalty has always been able to have sirloin steak cooked to perfection. The working man gets the scraps. The fact that Hollands Pies can make a very tasty meal from the scrag ends for very little money to feed the masses is fantastic. Steak pudding chips and mushy peas - bring it on. ... I've run a small pie business, if you want to know what happened you can read all about it in my autobiography "when can it do errands". No, it's not all about mouse shit, well, it is a little bit.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I was firmly in the pastry case / top camp but then I though about it so I have made an exception simply on the basis it's my fav pie Homemade meat and potato pie (y)=big dish full of M/P and a shortcrust pastry top -Sadly I don't get around to making them now -just seems to be to much trouble cooking one for one :(:)
terry

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Well I was firmly in the pastry case / top camp but then I though about it so I have made an exception simply on the basis it's my fav pie Homemade meat and potato pie (y)=big dish full of M/P and a shortcrust pastry top -Sadly I don't get around to making them now -just seems to be to much trouble cooking one for one :(:)
terry

Why don't you make 4 small ones in foil trays and freeze them?

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Most definitely NOT a pie (and I'm an expert)!

The Boss and I went to the St Duthus Hotel in Tain about 3 tears ago for a sunday lunch. I chose the steak pie. It was a dollop of meat and gravy served with a dry and very flaky bit of puff pastry on top.

We have never been back since and we have told many others to avoid the place. Name & shame I say.

Likewise with a previous poster The Boss wouldn't let me complain, she says I embarrass her! :(

Keith Hart

rebellious 1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Funster No
Sedge,memories of Mad O'Rourke s the food was probably very good,but once you had eat the horns, there was little chance of finishing the pie,especially when you had already visited 4 other pubs on the Black Country beer bus on the way.I was also a lightweight at drinking the local ale although I kept that to myself at the time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ahh you're new aren't you. Nobody's explained that the official MotorhomeFun definition of a pie is that it has to come in a tin and contain unidentifiable animal products (y)

View attachment 53565
Sorry, that is NOT a pie, quite apart from it having no taste or any meat content, it has no food quality either and if you dare to put a fork in it the whole thing flops as it's full of air ... plus a proper pie has a pastry bottom ... a metal tin does NOT count as you can't eat it even though it is probably better for you than the contents! :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why don't you make 4 small ones in foil trays and freeze them?
In my experience potatoes tend to go grainy if you freeze them, even in stews.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Some Scotch pies can be nice (depends on who makes them!) but that looks like something I see occasionally when my dog has her rear end facing me!:sick:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Traditional Scottish steak pie is cooked in an Ashet with a puff pastry top.. eaten all year round, but traditionally served on New Years Eve with neeps and tatties..

Our local butcher would provide the meat and the baker next door would top it with puff pastry..

I am an expert at this kind of pie..

http://www.thescottishbutcher.com/steak-pie

Broken Link Removed

Deleted User
Traditional Scottish steak pie is cooked in an Ashet with a puff pastry top.. eaten all year round, but traditionally served on New Years Eve with neeps and tatties..

Our local butcher would provide the meat and the baker next door would top it with puff pastry..

Broken Link Removed
Best steak pies ever in Scotland, get my fix every summer visiting Brother in law at Beauly (and Haggis from Dingwall)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Broken Link Removed
But thats a Scottish pie Jim
nothing resembling a Scotch pie.
very thin, possibly even filo, pastry encasing minced lamb and onion or just lamb depending on taste.
the pastry top edges and lid should be slightly crisp with the lower edges and bottom ever so slightly 'limp'.

And as a pie you can pick it up and eat it out of your hand.

Your Scottish pie could be a bit messy.

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
But thats a Scottish pie Jim
nothing resembling a Scotch pie.
very thin, possibly even filo, pastry encasing minced lamb and onion or just lamb depending on taste.
the pastry top edges and lid should be slightly crisp with the lower edges and bottom ever so slightly 'limp'.

And as a pie you can pick it up and eat it out of your hand.

Your Scottish pie could be a bit messy.

Not a lot of Lamb involved in the Jock Pies I get, mostly Mutton:D and I love them!! Loads of White pepper too, makes them simply gorgeous!!(y)

Anyone ever been to Australia and sampled their pies....Australians go mad for them.

They dont have a bloody clue.

Wholehearted agreement from me on that on Pappajohn, absolutely no idea what a decent pie is. Small, filling minced beyond recognition with brown salty gloop that they call gravy. Totally clueless!!:rolleyes::D

Deleted User
Best steak pies ever in Scotland, get my fix every summer visiting Brother in law at Beauly (and Haggis from Dingwall)
I always call in for Haggis when passing through Dingwall and also the petrol station on the Strathpeffer road for Whisky - they often have some real good bargains and cheaper than supermarket prices.
Also agree, best steak pies come from Scotland.

Deleted User
Cockburn's butchers in Dingwall...'Scotlands first champion haggis makers' according to the sign.
Haggis and steak pies both excellent, not cheap though.
Another good butchers for steak pies is in the centre of Moffat near the C&CC club site.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Never buy Pies, always make me own, When we had the Coffee Bar I used to make 96 a day, Mince, Steak and Mushroom, and Smoked Fish and Bacon and Egg. Used to have the Power Board Fellas queueing up in the Carpark at 0645 am. When we sold up I snaffled a dozen of the Pie tins, been using them ever since.
GJH is the Fun Pie expert am quite surprised he hasn't been on.

although he is a bit of a heretic, he puts carrots and peas in Pasties

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back