Is he in the right or is he a nuisance, (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
My view is that he's taking the proverbial. The blue badge scheme is there to make day-to-day life easier for those that need it, he's out of order here and should think that he's giving all MHers a bad name.

Hard hat on now while I wait for the attacking comments.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Diane and I are on our BritStop tour and sunning around Norfolk at the mo.

Diane has a blue badge and suffers serve MS and can hardly walk and has a Blue Badge as a result.

I don't think we've ever used or parked in a disabled bay at any time in the m/h. We haven't even brought it with us.

In the car we do, but never in the m/h. It's unfair on others and would probably block access etc. We just look for the nearest, safest place to park and, if it's too far for her to use her stick, I'll dig out the wheelchair and push her to wherever we're heading :)

All the places we've parked the car using the blue badge have clearly stated Free Parking for max 3 hours for Blue Badge Holders. So while this guy is freeloading on the back of goodwill, the local authorities have obviously got it wrong in allowing limitless parking while displaying the badge.

As for his ability to cycle, swim, sauna and walk to the Citadel, well he's taking the piss. Disabled my left butt cheek.

This country's screwed up with the badge system. We personally know of people who have bluffed their way to a badge and disability allowance, for being nothing more than dishonest fat, lazy, overweight loafers, who like to sponge off the backs of those that would really need one. Whole thing needs a complete shake up to sort out those that truly deserve the benefits it brings.

This lazy idiot isn't one of them. Point to note, I bet he's paying Council Tax back on his own property.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
both myself and my wife are disabled and each have a blue badge. no way would we abuse the system that is in place to help us get easier access to various locations. the access is far to valuable to us to risk by being freeloading tossers

as for the comments regarding cycling etc, just how did he get a badge as its not supposed to be easy to qualify

my attitude is he is stealing a parking space from many many other genuinely disabled people that would love to benefit from that disabled space for a few hours at a time. typical of a selfish generation

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
This selfish person is giving a bad reputation to those who genuinely have disabilities and need to use blue badges.

I truly hope that any disability benefits are investigated and that his entitlement to a blue badge is looked at.

As a blue badge holder I wouldnt dream of taking such advantage and in fact if I am having an exceptionally good day, I park in the normal bays, using my badge only when it is necessary.

Much as I am dreading winter, this summer, mobility wise overall has been the best for me in 10 years regardless of pain and predictability etc.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thinking about it a little bit I can understand why this guy could apparently give genuine Motorhomers a bad name.
However I do also understand this article was written in a Red Top newspaper. The kind of tabloid publication where sales sometimes seem to matter over news and truth perhaps?
We all know how they always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, don't they. Some of the lies they have printed over the years are more shocking than the "true stories" they print.

Interesting how they name and shame him, but the 73 year old complainant remains anonymous.
Surely they would not twist and turn facts just to make a story out of nothing would they?
A red top would not run a provocative story against a disabled motor homing pensioner, would they?

They quote he is dumping rubbish in council bins, but no talk about his really nasty waste....
3 months in a parking bay, where is his grey waste and toilet waste going? They did not mention that did they, "Old man dumps waste and poop on shore line"? That would get readers even more enraged.

There is no EHU there, this is Ayr in Scotland, ok the weather has been good but it still gets cold at night especially on the seafront, but he must be the most frugal camper ever, or he has a great solar system and ever lasting batteries, oh and a great gas storage system...

So I'm not saying all that is written is not true, but I may be more sceptical than some when it comes to believing all that is printed in a red top.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We are a cynical lot, in my mind the report in the newspaper is very one sided.
1/ He has a disabled badge, people get blue badges for all kinds of disabilities( some we can't see.
2/ There are no houses within 500 yards of this spot!
3/ He might well be paying council tax for his home address (using no facilities)
4/ All visitors to the area, can and will, use the bins.
5/ They say his "ancient" "old " van is an eyesore. It look to me like a well looked after "Classic" van
6/ If he's using the nearby swimming pool, then that's great he's spending his money in the local community. He'll also have to buy provisions from the local shops.
7/ One or two nice days dose not make for along good summer.
8/ If it's raining he could be the only motor parked on the promenade.
9/ beautiful day.....space beside him??????????
What harm is the old buddie doing? The place, after 5 o'clock is only good for boy racers cruising and drinking along the prom.

Someone in their wisdom has picked on this old man and the DR in it's wisdom has produced a very one sided and maybe not all factual story.

In my opinion the story is not news it's victimisation .

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would have reversed into the bay myself.

Looks a nice spot to spend the summer.

I think he is taking the piss but he is 82 so I don't begrudge him a bit of piss taking.

OP
OP
ArcticKris

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
Lots og against him and a few for him,in our country he would have been left alone (as long as he tidys up after himself ) by the local Council and police/parking attendants, in fact locals would have been down and asked him if everything was ok,i remember there was a german couple wild camping not far from us for maybe 6 months,down by the sea,in the woods,very nice place,they kept it clean and tidy and had a lovely summer,no problem,

ps,had to put this in,made me smile at how some people can be so silly and small

“Towels are even hung out of their windows and it is a real eyesore."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pensioner-parks-camper-van-beachside-3949274#ixzz39DVojwlt
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
This selfish person is sealing oxygen as well as a parking space. WASTER and as a MH owner if I was there I would tell him to his face.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Selfish, yes - there is a tendency in all of us to become more self centred the older we get, but he still isn't breaking any laws. What happens after all the tabloid publicity remains to be seen.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Could he be a member of FUN ?

Would his forum name be wasteofspace 82 .............or hippy82 ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArcticKris

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
For my own information,whats the accepted time in one of these parking areas ??, or a normal parking lot,by the sea,without locl council restrictions, plan is to start in the UK next year and then set off down south to France,Spain ,Portugal ext ext

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Good luck to the old guy -at 82 he deserves a bit.Looks clean enough around his van to me and he will be paying CT on his own property --live and let live --not sure on the blue badge bit, but hey ho I don't know enough about the guy -he could well be taking the piss but no doubt he will now be under investigation
terry

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As someone who lives in Ayr I find it hard to understand why he wants to stay in that spot. It's by far the busiest area from the point of view of other visitors and traffic. In the evening there are often cars cruising up and down the prom (Corsas with body kits and loud exhausts). It's certainly not going to be restful.

There are loos nearby which I'm sure he'll be using for emptying his black waste.

Personally, I do think this is an abuse of a parking facility meant to be shared with other disabled users. I'm sure the council never intended it as a long stay camp site.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes, he's using the facilities etc and he's not creating any mess. Presumably as some others have said he's paying council tax on his home in Airdrie, without placing any demands on his local council.
Just because he has a blue badge, it's not his own disabled bay to park up in for 3 months ......personally I think he's depriving other blue badge holders who might want to use it just for the day when visiting Ayr.
Whilst we don't know what time stipulations, or any other stipulations pertaining to this disabled bay are.......personally, I think he's milking it and is being very selfish.
Having been brought up and lived locally, I certainly wouldn't stay overnight where he's parked, as it's a favourite haunt for "boy racers/cruisers/neds":(

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
whats selfish about it maybe its just jealousy cause some others cant do it leave him alone in the twilight of his time here let him do as he wants he has prolly paid into the pension coffers and paid a lifetime of tax so live and let live good for him i say

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have been reading both post on this.
The police are not interested.no law broken.
The council who own the land are happy to have him or others to use the cp and facilities nearby
and from what has been written they are still in a usable condition.
So why knock him .he will probably have a story to tell also .he's certainly making full use of his classic van
Anyone local to the area why not go and ask him?
Sign him up to fun
Live and let live and yes I also have a blue badge can swim and ride a bike hurts like hell but can still do it .
Have a nice day

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
See top quote. THAT'S what's selfish about it. He risks spoiling the use of such facilities for all of us.
why should he worry about anyone else as i said before if people have a problem with you its their concern not yours and thats a quote from a very wise friend this bloody country is all about paying for this paying for that if it was more mh friendly then many more would stay and spend here instead of going abroad to pay a lot less for a lot more what he is doing is wild camping and its not illegal what he is doing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back