Is Gibraltar worth a trip... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Will be in Marbella in a couple of weeks time I see on the map it is not far from Gibraltar. Will it be worth spending the day in Gibraltar and do we have to pre book anything to cross the boarder etc.
Any other places worth a visit in that area would be welcome.....thanks.(y)(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes it's worth a look you just turn up fuel is cheap and some interesting things to see

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Interesting day out,,We parked on Spanish side and walked in. Took taxi tour from entrance to top of the rock in the morning and then after lunch just wandered the town..BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The marina Aire is €12 and is lovely by the boats, the other Aire didn't look to bad when I was there last month but I dont know how much it is..

Easy to go over, just take passport, walk in over the runway or catch the bus.... I found it a funny place with a mix of languages and cultures. Mainly one Main Street full of booze fags and perfume shops. We didn't go up the top so can't comment on that but if you do watch the monkeys they reall do bite and hard..!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Well worth a visit,see all the above,what has not been said,is that....Motor Scooters,coming out of your wing mirrors,awning,wheel arches etc,is not a figment of your imagination...... They really are:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Enjoy.
Tea Bag

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Its an interesting place, but the streets are mega narrow with a total disregard of parking regs...
Don't forget to take sterling as well - the shop keepers and cafe owners are pretty robust in their refusal to accept Euros
:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would say no apart from filling up on cheap fuel, if you go in for fuel avoid rush hours at all costs gets a bit busy with 10,000 people crossing the border for work. You are not allowed to overnight in a Motorhome so straight in fill up and out. Very English with English prices a shock to the wallet after Spain. Although duty free most things are cheaper in the UK especially electrial/electrionic goods as the small shops don't have the buying power. If you do go it is worth a walk to the top of the rock.
The Mariner Aire is very posh and pleasant we spent one night and one night of the cheaper Aire only €3.

Note: when driving along the water front be very careful to get in the right lane we ended up driving into Gib by accident.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well worth a visit , been a couple of times. Last time we paid to have an individual guided tour in a taxi which was readily available.
The Rock is very steep and using this method got us to all parts were our oldish legs couldn't reach. It was a thorough and un rushed trip with lots of information from the driver. Can't remember how much but as a poor old pensioner we managed ;)
Also interesting shops to browse.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would say no apart from filling up on cheap fuel, if you go in for fuel avoid rush hours at all costs gets a bit busy with 10,000 people crossing the border for work. You are not allowed to overnight in a Motorhome so straight in fill up and out. Very English with English prices a shock to the wallet after Spain. Although duty free most things are cheaper in the UK especially electrial/electrionic goods as the small shops don't have the buying power. If you do go it is worth a walk to the top of the rock.
The Mariner Aire is very posh and pleasant we spent one night and one night of the cheaper Aire only €3.

Note: when driving along the water front be very careful to get in the right lane we ended up driving into Gib by accident.
Thanks Lenny, it wont be a shopping trip more a tour. We will be in a car so narrow roads hopefully wont be a problem. Is it possible to drive to the top of the rock, not lazy just a time thing don't want to spend all day on the rock but would like to see the view from the top.:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
View attachment 150979 View attachment 150980 Well worth a visit , been a couple of times. Last time we paid to have an individual guided tour in a taxi which was readily available.
The Rock is very steep and using this method got us to all parts were our oldish legs couldn't reach. It was a thorough and un rushed trip with lots of information from the driver. Can't remember how much but as a poor old pensioner we managed ;)
Also interesting shops to browse.
Thanks Larry that sounds interesting, nice photos (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We went a couple of years ago, the cable car is tempting, but the mini bus tour is the better option. You get a history lesson, a guided tour of the limestone caves and access to the gun emplacements tunnelled into the rock, overlooking Spain, the view and the "historic atmosphere" was special. You also get a better experience with the apes as although you're not allowed to touch them, the driver knew the best places to meet them and he was interacting with them.
Back down in the town, there are "duty free" shops, and you can get a pint of Carling, some Marks and Sparks knickers and a plate of fish and chips if you're needing a patriotic fix. :LOL:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Will be in Marbella in a couple of weeks time I see on the map it is not far from Gibraltar. Will it be worth spending the day in Gibraltar and do we have to pre book anything to cross the boarder etc.
Any other places worth a visit in that area would be welcome.....thanks.(y)(y)

Strange. You seem to be already there.........:)

ape.jpeg

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
There is also a Morrisons Supermarket there, though the prices are a bit steep ( no pun intended ) as everything has to be imported from the UK.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now now MrT he is far better looking than me....
You know, Mr B, you never ever fail to amaze me. This time, it's with your unparalleled knowledge of the sexing of primates. :) Is it the flair of the nostrils that depicts ape gender, or maybe slinky eyelid? :Eeek:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I thought it was
You know, Mr B, you never ever fail to amaze me. This time, it's with your unparalleled knowledge of the sexing of primates. :) Is it the flair of the nostrils that depicts ape gender, or maybe slinky eyelid? :Eeek:
I though it was common knowledge Mr T that female apes don't have mustosh's...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny, it wont be a shopping trip more a tour. We will be in a car so narrow roads hopefully wont be a problem. Is it possible to drive to the top of the rock, not lazy just a time thing don't want to spend all day on the rock but would like to see the view from the top.:)
No you can't drive up there either the mini bus tour or the cable car, I can't remember but I think we took the cable car up and walked down, must be me age it was only a few months ago.
If you don't mind a bit of walking or using buses probably not worth taking the car in you will spend half the day trying to find somewhere to park.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Cable car up gets my vote and walk back down
Unfortunately I didn't do my homework when we had a short break there and missed some stuff :mad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I thought it was

I though it was common knowledge Mr T that female apes don't have mustosh's...
Not sure about that Mr B. However, the sure fire test is the Claude Balls method. (y)

Approach the primate from the front, whilst emitting suitable ape cooing noises, and holding your banana. :)
With one hand, present the banana to the ape.
With the other hand, pull back it's underwear.
If it has no willy, it's a female ape.
If the banana ends up stuffed between your legs, backwards, then it's a male. (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are you looking for cheap fags Buttons?:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are you looking for cheap fags Buttons?:)
Yeah right...I even refuse to bring them back for family. I think it is time for a world wide ban on all cheap fags it just encourages smokers to smoke more...;):)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yeah right...I even refuse to bring them back for family. I think it is time for a world wide ban on all cheap fags it just encourages smokers to smoke more...;):)
Nothing to do with you being as tight as a Dux ass, then?? :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just don't mention Brexit. You might get lynched. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back