Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A few drops on some cotton wool is enough to cause unconsciousness so a can full could knock a elephant out.
I'm safe then as I don't have a pet elephant (but do have a heffalump of a dog!) :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's a fact GW.....The latest incident July 7, 2016 campers on the road suffered a robbery aboard the motorhome after they were first put to sleep with sleeping gas. Offenders use a canister-based ether, a product that is no longer sold here for starting diesel engines, it is still found on sale in former Eastern block countries. Lets be careful out there.....(y)
Linky please!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is true, but in my case the only thing that I discovered missing in the morning was half a bottle of Rum and all the ice in the fridge! :D
Ah ha! Been drinking with Mike B? ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We havent had an anti 'E' cig or smoking in built up sheds rant for a while......OR one on the joys of peddling to work dressed like a complete idiot and wearing a yellow jersey for MONTHS! (y)
I thought that E cig thing that you had around your neck was a Lancastrian man bag. Dawn thought it was probably liquid cannabis, an observation based on the coherency of your speaking, I think...... :LOL:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It's a fact GW.....The latest incident July 7, 2016 campers on the road suffered a robbery aboard the motorhome after they were first put to sleep with sleeping gas. Offenders use a canister-based ether, a product that is no longer sold here for starting diesel engines, it is still found on sale in former Eastern block countries. Lets be careful out there.....(y)

Bull droppings, I bought a can of easy start 2 weeks ago in Telford so it is still sold here (http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/bradex-easy-start-300ml). Easy start is Ether based and used to start reluctant diesel engines because it has a low flashpoint and is very flammable. If Ether is being used how come no motorhomes are being reported blown up/set fire to as the gassing incidents are always in places where no hookup is available so there must be a high proportion of 3 way fridges running on gas at the time. Naked flame plus Ether means a big fire very quickly.

D.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Bull droppings, I bought a can of easy start 2 weeks ago in Telford so it is still sold here (http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/bradex-easy-start-300ml). Easy start is Ether based and used to start reluctant diesel engines because it has a low flashpoint and is very flammable. If Ether is being used how come no motorhomes are being reported blown up/set fire to as the gassing incidents are always in places where no hookup is available so there must be a high proportion of 3 way fridges running on gas at the time. Naked flame plus Ether means a big fire very quickly.

D.
Thats because the fridges are hermetically sealed from the living space

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

You would need to hold a cloth impregnated with it to render someone incapable using EASY START. BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
According to insurance companies last year ,,they have never had a claim for gassing,,,BUSBY.

They have to cover it up. This is so BIG that if the real numbers got out most MHs would be off the road and no insurance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You would need to hold a cloth impregnated with it to render someone incapable using EASY START. BUSBY.

And that is just what they do. One of litter picker grips, cloth soaked in aether, you window open a fraction, in with the cloth and Goodnight Vienna.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry but there are a LOT of fridges that have gaps into the living space!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

If you believe that then you probably believe in fairies too. The best ones I've seen are fitted tightly in their cabinet and MIGHT just have a foam seal around the rear face. The worst are open at the top of the space which is often occupied by kitchen drawers or sinks.

D.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bull droppings, I bought a can of easy start 2 weeks ago in Telford so it is still sold here (http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/bradex-easy-start-300ml). Easy start is Ether based and used to start reluctant diesel engines because it has a low flashpoint and is very flammable. If Ether is being used how come no motorhomes are being reported blown up/set fire to as the gassing incidents are always in places where no hookup is available so there must be a high proportion of 3 way fridges running on gas at the time. Naked flame plus Ether means a big fire very quickly.D.
No Dave yours is the replacement for the original, the original didn't work as well as yours because the flash point was much higher and required the full temperature of the compression chamber before it would flash off. You would have problems igniting it with a flame.....I think this was one of the reasons that it was barred in Europe. It was putting the drivers to sleep before the engine would start...;)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No Dave yours is the replacement for the original, the original didn't work as well as yours because the flash point was much higher and required the full temperature of the compression chamber before it would flash off. You would have problems igniting it with a flame.....I think this was one of the reasons that it was barred in Europe. It was putting the drivers to sleep before the engine would start...;)

So your original BS is now compounded by more BS? Easy Start is Ether based, the flashpoint of Ether is quite low which is why it is used as a starter fluid.

D.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most everyone here knows that I don't care much for the warnings about not sleeping on aires. Yes I'll admit we were gassed but with our new detector we had plenty of warning.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So your original BS is now compounded by more BS? Easy Start is Ether based, the flashpoint of Ether is quite low which is why it is used as a starter fluid.

D.
Just checked both products on the CAS data base. Different chemical make up....;)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Esay start is still avalibel
I baugh a tin yesterday to gas the next do nabor

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you believe that then you probably believe in fairies too. The best ones I've seen are fitted tightly in their cabinet and MIGHT just have a foam seal around the rear face. The worst are open at the top of the space which is often occupied by kitchen drawers or sinks.

D.
I think they probably put themselves to sleep with CO2 from the fridge flame exhaust.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

You could use three cans of that on a Perkins and it still would not start. Never put me to sleep it was to dammed cold,,BUSBY.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think they probably put themselves to sleep with CO2 from the fridge flame exhaust.
You are right of course Dave, No idea how that extra oxygen molecule got on there but it doesn't change the fact that the gas side of a fridge has to be sealed from the habitation side.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You are right of course Dave, No idea how that extra oxygen molecule got on there but it doesn't change the fact that the gas side of a fridge has to be sealed from the habitation side.(y)
You may think that but I've yet to find a single fridge that is totally sealed - none of the ones we've ever owned have been!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just having a read through this thread. I thinks it has proved once and for all that Gassing is undoubtedly not a myth. Lets be careful out there.......;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back