Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its TRUE

Its a fact :thumb:
I know and have met many many people who have been gassed I looked in to it myself on one occasion, and found the statistics quite believable I always look forward to having any conversation with people about this subject
the claims made by those who have experienced it are mostly true, there are some of course who will deliberately exaggerate claims
but overall my opinion still stands
LPG is the way to go:RollEyes: but as the prices keep rising payback will take longer:Doh:
Geo

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
Load of tosh, made up by fools who drink to much plonk then havn't got the balls to admit, it was there fault:wine::wine::wine:

Alan H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Load of tosh, made up by fools who drink to much plonk then havn't got the balls to admit, it was there fault:wine::wine::wine:

Alan H

Many of these robberies are on Motorway Aires with no alcohol involved at all. Plenty are robbed who are just very tired after long drives, I'm sure that a few might have been under the influence, but not all. :Smile: We just sleep sounder that we think we do:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Many of these robberies are on Motorway Aires with no alcohol involved at all. Plenty are robbed who are just very tired after long drives, I'm sure that a few might have been under the influence, but not all. :Smile: We just sleep sounder that we think we do:Smile:
Having personaly been there and LOST the T shirt
I can confirm all you say Jim:thumb:
There is only one answer
Security
Security
Link Removed
Geo

chrisshipp

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Funster No
Having had some anaesthetic training, I would love to be able to get my hands on "the gas" these felons use!! There is a VERY fine line between knocking someone out and killing them. The quantities of "gas" needed would also cause more of an explosion problem than anything else and would cause all involved to be knocking at the Pearly Gates, not just the occupants. Also with ref to the quantities used, the perpetrators would need breathing apparatus otherwise they too would fall foul of the noxious substances used.

Just my hap-pence worth!!

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
There are 11749 members:Smile: on this forum....WHO HAS ACTUALY BEEN GASSED:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are 11749 members:Smile: on this forum....WHO HAS ACTUALY BEEN GASSED:Sad:

.. who would admit to it knowing the ridicule they would face .. ? so I think it's very unlikely anyone ever will .. and as already said, you can't prove a negative...

but gas has been used by robbers on trains, hotels and homes.. quite well documented .. I gave a link on the other thread but no one commented .. it's all on Google if you care to search.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We sleep very, very soundly at night and a thief could very easily break into the van, pick me up, carry me outside and drive away, I'd be none the wiser.

Thankfully that can't be said for SWMBO and the dog, so who knows ??

Jim

::bigsmile:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Most people who are Gassed are in france where the temp is normally hotter so when parked up the fridge would be on gas with the pilot light on why does the gas not explode :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
An interesting poll as the only people who can speak from firsthand experience are those who claim to have been gassed, the urban Myth option is merely opinion. however for the record I don't believe it would be possible or cost effective.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
On one of the many motorhome forums an aneathetist actually wrote that it would be impossible to carry out such a task due to the enormous amount of gas required..he actually calculated the amount required would have to be carried in a tanker.. and would need to be pumped at "X" amount per minute etc etc.
In his opinion it could not be carried out quietly!! he concluded by saying it is a rather exact science calculating the medically exact amount required to put a person under and not kill em..plus as has been said the perpetrators would need breathing apparatus to enter whilst occupants are still "UNDER"
However "THE MYTH" perpetuates..I was dicussing this last year with another couple whilst in France.. this guy said he'd been "DONE" in England.. exactly where I can't recall but he swore blind he'd been gassed..when I mentioned this article by this Doctor he still insisted he'd been gassed!!
Until I see actual physical evidence I'll remain shall we say undecided...Mind you I still don't believe the Yanks landed on The Moon!! that was all a big hoax

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Load of tosh.. I have spoken in person to an anaesthetist about this and without any prompting ( and through gales of laughter ) he more or less said word for what Modo has typed

We DO often sleep very soundly after a long day behind the wheel..
How many house burglaries are undertaken with peeps IN the house ? Several, I can tell you !!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Gas gang robs family on pilgrimage as they sleep in motorhome.

This isn't proof by any means but it's odd that the Police and Foreign Office seem to acknowledge it's happening..

Story

FAMILY on a pilgrimage to Lourdes were robbed of their money and belongings by a gang who pumped gas into their motorhome.

Brian and Carol Forde were making the trip to the French town in memory of their daughter Michelle, who died earlier this year aged 31 after losing her battle against a heart disorder.

The couple, who were travelling with their sister-in-law Lynda, had pulled up at a roadside truck stop near Bordeaux for the night when the gang struck.

Gas was pumped through the motorhome's air vents and, as the family slipped into unconsciousness, the thieves broke in and stole their cash, credit cards and passports.

Mrs Forde, 54, a university caretaker, said: 'We had gone to bed for the night and the following morning I got up feeling very sick.

'My sister-in-law and Brian were still asleep. I tried to wake Lynda, who is a very light sleeper, then we all started to complain our eyes were sore.'

'We were checking things before we set off and began to realise our belongings had been gone through, and our money and cards were gone.' The Fordes, from Preston, reported the crime to the police, who confirmed there was a 'gassing' gang at work in the area.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: 'We are aware of this happening in parts of France and Spain.

'Our advice to travellers would be to avoid parking in dark or isolated areas of camping grounds or car parks and consider installing an alarm in your mobile home.' In the past, 'gassing' gangs have preyed on tourists across Europe.

In July 2003, Michael and Christine Gates, of Portsmouth, woke up after stopping off in Burgundy to find their motorhome had been ransacked

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Chanes are they get the info from sites like this !!

be interested to see if there are any actual police reports available :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
be interested to see if there are any actual police reports available :winky:

Indeed, and to that end I have just written to the Foreign Office pointing to that report and asked if they have any evidence of these alleged attacks and what advice they give..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thisalways used to be quite a heated debate with plenty of people saying that its possible or they knew or heard about it happening. These days its a lot tamer, with the vast majority agreeing that gassing is a myth. The letter from the Royal College of Anaesthetists seemed to stop the old faithfulls from saying that gassing goes on.

I'd like to play devils advocate, but I don't know a bloke who met a girl who's uncle was gassed in France, so I'm going to have to be boring and agree with the majority. Crooks don't gas motorhomers.<(that's a full stop, period.)::bigsmile::roflmto:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Thing is I do know someone who was gassed in France:winky:............Me grandad...in 1917 in Ypres.....All right it's a joke:ROFLMAO: well I tried any way..OK I'll get me coat :winky:

..............Allright I'm SORRY!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back