Is Brit Stops a Membership

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whereru, Aug 9, 2014.

1. whereru

whereru Funster

I have just received my first Brit Stops book with a window sticker in, both say they are valid until 28-02-2015 that is only 6 months away. Can I not use them after that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. chaser

chaser Funster

Yes it only goes April to April

3. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Actually that's nearer 10m than 6.

But I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away just 'cos your membership has expired....would they?

• Like Like x 1
  4. whereru

whereru Funster

Sorry put in wrong date have edited.

5. whereru

whereru Funster

I wasn't in a hurry to get one but was very interested when I read about it, but typical me have to have it now I should have waited.

6. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Just read this on their website
    'The Brit Stops 2014 guide to free motorhome stopoversis valid until the end of February 2015. Once again it costs just £25 (fourth year with no increase). '

7. whereru

whereru Funster

Not sure weather to return the book and then buy it again at beginning of Feb at least I will get a full year for the £25.00. I don't want to sound penny pinching but I would prefer to get 12 months for my £25 as apposed to 6 months

• Like Like x 1
  8. kcy

kcy Funster

We got ours last April and haven't used it but if we only use it once we'll be Quid's in on last years C&CC site in portsmouth, when we overnighted before the ferry. That was the one where she wouldn't unpadlock the barrier before 7am and then had a face on it like a smacked bottom

• Like Like x 3
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't quote me on this but it doesn't make a lot of difference, they very rarely ask you for it

10. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

We've used it about 8 times this year & no one asked for my book & certainly no one was interested in my windscreen sticker.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lord Mac

Lord Mac Funster

I have just finished travelling around for 3 weeks and have used Brit Stops about 6 times and no one looked at my sticker.

12. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

Had one last year but not this. The fact is that most of the places in it don't really mind if you're a paid up member as long as you support their business in some small way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

Ditto

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Exactly, it's only an adjunct to their business. If they wanted to boost stays they would obtain a CL certificate or site licence.

15. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Except that they might not have the facilities or meet the requirements to become a CL/CS, or licensed site.

And even for 6 or 7 months membership - if you manage a couple of overnight stays, then you've most likely recouped your investment with Britstops.

Steve and his wife who have developed the programme keep increasing the number of locations hugely, year by year - the choice just keeps growing. Couldn't believe the latest email alone contained an extra 60 places - I think there was only just over 70 in the whole of the first guidebook in 2011.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

True, as I said it's only an adjunct to their business. Mind you, we've been on a few CLs/CSs that are nothing more than a field with a dump point and a fresh water tap (not that we need any more).
    Having said that, if they do want to attract people to stay why not become a CL? :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

The requirements are not a vigorous as the big clubs make them out to be. We were approached by a site that had toilet but no drinking water they harvested rain water for the toilet. We asked NE about this and they were happy for us to grant a 5 van CL site under the proviso that a supply of bottled water was made available.

This site however did not get licenced because they wanted to allow non members to use it and NE were adamant that the sites were for our members only at that time. They have now changed their mind on this issue and it is up to the club and landowner who uses the site.

I would suspect any pub that has space to allow Motorhomes to stop over could meet the requirements for a CL. It is a decision between the land owner and the certificating club. The club would however seek guidance from and inform the local planning authority, as it is part of its procedures to do so. They would also have to consult local residents.

At present without a licence they are limited to one van and only 28 nights per year.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

All fair comment. However, I suspect many Britstops just aren't interested in jumping through hoops - which I know aren't especially onerous for CL/CS recognition. And don't want to be bothered with managing bookings - quite a few Britstops don't require or need even a phone call in advance - just turn up. And some don't offer fresh water, and only a few offer black waste dumps. They would rather focus on running their mainstream business and, as you say, the overnighting motorhomes are just an adjunct - making the most of otherwise unused parking space.

Mike

19. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Seems to be general issue for many of the 'big two' club sites nowadays, but there are a few notable exceptions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

bit of a sweeping statement.. what sample size do you base that on. How many club sites have you visited this past year.. or five years ?

there are over 4,000 cls and cs and hundreds of club sites ..

I can only speak from experience.. the vast majority of club wardens and or managers and friendly .. and do a sterling job in what are often trying circumstances.. ie .. dealing with the public..

• Like Like x 3