Is an iPad enough?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Madmag, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Madmag

Madmag Funster

I am an Apple convert. I have an I Mac as my main PC but take an I pad with me for all trips. Mainly e mails and general surfing. Not really into,using it to download TV although would watch occasional You Tube videos if the wifi permitted. My I pad has plenty of memory and I have my old I pad which I am hoping to use as a stand alone sat nav. This year we will be away from home for nearly 6 months so I may need to do a bit more such as banking and renewing stuff on line. My question is, apart from not being able to download any 'flash' will the iPad be sufficient/ secure enough for banking etc or would I be better with a laptop. At the minute I back it up to my PC but would have to change that to cloud back up. Also thought if I did banking using a Huawei and sim so I create my own wifi this may be safer. Any thoughts/ ideas welcome please. Travel is only Framce Spain and Portugal.
    Thanks

2. makems

makems Funster Life Member

We spent 4 months travelling the last three winters through Spain and into Morocco.
    I have an iPad and an Macbook pro and have .taken both.
    I manage my bank accounts and my stock market investments (buying, selling shares) as well as the usual email, farcebook, web browsing etc.
    the Macbook only got used for photo editing - there was nothing I couldnt have done just on the iPad.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Basically, yes your iPad, or any other tablet come to that, will be perfectly fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. rrusty

rrusty Funster

Yes I used my iPad the last 3 years on extended 8 weeks to Spain and used it to pay suppliers and pay in wages & utilities.

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah another (y) ipad

6. Madmag

Madmag Funster

So buying a lovely shiny new mac book air would just be an indulgence!, shame I really like the look of them.
    Joking aside, I am grateful for the answers, I have always been happy with my iPad but wasn't sure if there might be limitations to its use. Presume I am correct in saying I need to,change my settings so I back up to Cloud whilst I am away.

7. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

Hi Madmag, we travel Europe most of the time and so have a similar situation. We have an iPad which I love but I do not use for banking etc because I find it quite limiting. I use my macbook for all banking and admin then I can save, use spreadsheets etc. I generally find that iPad is good for viewing but not creating. We also use our MacBook for uploading all our photo's.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tofo

tofo Funster

I only use an iPad
    do all my interneting on it
    Including banking
    As I type I can see my unused Mac
    Waiting to used again when need arises

Well I have such need now
    To look at a cd parts list for my Alfa spider
    Then it will rest again for a year or more

9. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Many extended trips, don't bother with a laptop or MacBook anymore, can do everything on an iPad including banking, investments, transfers etc and spreadsheets should the need arise, can actually do exactly the same on my phone if need be although it's not as easy!