Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Hi
Our new (to us) van has a tracker Horizon fitted, I phoned tracker and they said it wouold be £149 per year to activate it or £399 one off payment for as long as we have it. What are peoples views do you think that it is worth it?
Thanks

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If its insured and the insurers offer a good discount then you know they are worthwhile. If the insurers don't offer a good discount then I would say that if they don't value a tracker why bother.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
My opinion is (having just had one fitted) that regardless of the financial value of the van, its real value is what it means to you. In the event of it being stolen it is likely that it will be recovered very quickly and hopefully intact. Items may have been removed or damage done but you will have the van back.
The hassle without the tracker is immense. The police will probably only come accross it by accident after you tell them it has been stolen. That could be many hours after the theft giving the thieves time to strip it, sell it or set fire to it! Now you are without a van, holidays need to be re-arranged, trip cancelled. Countless arguements with insurance compainies over value. Then finding another van and finding the difference between insurance recovery and new van price.
For the sake of a £299 investment now which covers you for the rest of the time you are going to keep then van is a no-brainer.

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with the insurance. Without it a lot of companies won't insure you anyway.

Regards

Chris

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's worth it if your van is stolen ::bigsmile: but not if it is not :thumb: Would you want the van back if it was stolen ?Chances are damage would be done and once stolen it goes on a register as been stolen / recovered so it would affect resale price.All you can do is pay your ins and hope it does not get nicked :winky:There was a post a couple of yrs back about a guy who had had his van nicked and tracked to a piky site but the police would not enter it to recover his van straight away.:Eeek: BY THE TIME THEY GOT ONTO THE SITE NOT A LOT LEFT OF THE INTERNALS :Eeek::Eeek:
terry
edit never had ins been refused for not having a tracker,except on a high performance car

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
All this tosh about " you wouldn't want it back" is rubbish

You stand there after a day on the beach, in your flip flops, two sleepy, sandy children and a sun burned wife wearing on a "T" shirt and her bikini bottoms looking at a space in the car park where your motorhome should be:Eeek:

You have a carrier bag with two apples, half a bottle of Tizer (warm) and two left over sardine and tomato sandwiches.

Everything of value is in your motorhome, money, credit cards, passports, insurance.

If I offered to return your van, probably intact within the hour for £150 you'd snatch my hand off!

Having said that very few modern vans are stolen due to the improvement in security and immobilisation, and those that are stolen are stolen for re-sale so looked after and are likely to be returned in good order without anything stolen or damaged.

Older chassis are more prone to be stolen and stripped down for spares and parts

Eddie

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't forget this great deal is still around::bigsmile: Broken Link Removed if you want a tracking system there is nothing to touch this deal:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I agree, we have a tracker and it does give you peace of mind, we certainly would want our van back as its our home, things like passports and bank cards can be replaced but losing the van would take a whole lot of searching for a place to live!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All this tosh about " you wouldn't want it back" is rubbish

You stand there after a day on the beach, in your flip flops, two sleepy, sandy children and a sun burned wife wearing on a "T" shirt and her bikini bottoms looking at a space in the car park where your motorhome should be:Eeek:

You have a carrier bag with two apples, half a bottle of Tizer (warm) and two left over sardine and tomato sandwiches.

Everything of value is in your motorhome, money, credit cards, passports, insurance.

If I offered to return your van, probably intact within the hour for £150 you'd snatch my hand off!

Having said that very few modern vans are stolen due to the improvement in security and immobilisation, and those that are stolen are stolen for re-sale so looked after and are likely to be returned in good order without anything stolen or damaged.

Older chassis are more prone to be stolen and stripped down for spares and parts

Eddie
Sorry Eddie but I disagree :Doh: If somebody nicks my van they are welcome to keep it :Smile: SWMBO would want rid as soon as we got it back.
At the same time yes I do think trackers are good :thumb: and yes I would give you a 1,000 quid never mind £150 under the circumstance you describe :ROFLMAO:At the end of the day I pay insurance on the van to cover such things as it being nicked etc so it is down to personal preference as to fitting a tracker.:thumb: In my case it would be a no :Smile: Then again if I had a van worth 60k I would have to think seriously about one and no doubt a trip down to Devon would be on the cards especially with what would have been a funsters discount ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Just check with your tracker company that if you sell your van that you can have a refund on the subscription.

We had a caravan with a tracker and paid £199 for lifetime subscription.

When we came to sell caravan we could not transfer tracker membership (better selling point) or get a refund on the lifetime membership.

In the end felt a bit miffed!!!

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Tracker

Had a friend with a twin axle Bailey caravan , stolen at 3am from behind his house, recovered untouched via Phantom tracker at 4am, it had been parked up many miles away and the police said the thieves were waiting to see if it had a tracker so they would not get caught with it before taking it home.

At about the same time another friend had a newish TA caravan stolen from a locked barn, no tracker, never seen again.

Comfort Insurance insisted I had a good alarm and a tracker. I have had a Phantom tracker for many years for the peace of mind and if you are keeping the MH it will pay for itself in reduced insurance costs.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had a friend with a twin axle Bailey caravan , stolen at 3am from behind his house, recovered untouched via Phantom tracker at 4am, it had been parked up many miles away and the police said the thieves were waiting to see if it had a tracker so they would not get caught with it before taking it home.

At about the same time another friend had a newish TA caravan stolen from a locked barn, no tracker, never seen again.

Comfort Insurance insisted I had a good alarm and a tracker. I have had a Phantom tracker for many years for the peace of mind and if you are keeping the MH it will pay for itself in reduced insurance costs.

If only they did we would all have one:Doh: Phantom example circa £100 per year subscription average discount from insurance 10%
You would need to be paying £1000 year insurance to break even, as it stands average policy is aprox £500 you pay £100 per year to save £50:RollEyes:
It will never pay for its self, peace of mind is a different argument and only the individual can decide if its worth the cost
Geo

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If only they did we would all have one:Doh: Phantom example circa £100 per year subscription average discount from insurance 10%
You would need to be paying £1000 year insurance to break even, as it stands average policy is aprox £500 you pay £100 per year to save £50:RollEyes:

It will never pay for its self, peace of mind is a different argument and only the individual can decide if its worth the cost
Geo

Or: Motorhome Fun has its own "scheme" Trafficmaster (the blue camera people) own Trackstar the UK largest selling stolen vehicle location system.

Funsters pay £249 installed, which includes the first years monitoring/subscription.

If you know that your going to keep the motorhome for a few years you can elect to forgo the first years free monitoring/subscription and upgrade it to lifetime (that you own that motorhome) for only £299

Caravan for example give you up to 30% discount for an approved system (which this one is) so keep the van ten years and your peace of mind is £299 + £249 = £548.00 divide by ten years £58 a year.

Using Geo's example of an average policy of £500 a year, benefit from 30% discount a year £150 quid saving, over ten years £1,500.00 less the £548 to buy, so a potential saving of nearly £1000.00:Eeek: And peace of mind!

Trackstar own Eurowatch, who protect and monitor you when your in Europe, this is the same Company that many of the smaller tracking companies use on your behalf when your abroad.

Trackstar also came out "Best Buy" in a Sunday Times "road test" being tested against all the smaller tracking companies, including CobraTrak and Tracker!

Being the biggest does mean sometimes the best!

Eddie

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
[QUOTE and no doubt a trip down to Devon would be on the cards especially with what would have been a funsters discount ::bigsmile::winky:
terry[/QUOTE]

Trip to Devon??? sorry gone over my head

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Just check with your tracker company that if you sell your van that you can have a refund on the subscription.

We had a caravan with a tracker and paid £199 for lifetime subscription.

When we came to sell caravan we could not transfer tracker membership (better selling point) or get a refund on the lifetime membership.

In the end felt a bit miffed!!!

The £399 is for the time that you own the van:cry: but over 20 years..........:thumb:

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our insurance company obviously don't rate um as they only offered a small discount if we had one fitted.
I'm sure I read somewhere that signal from them can be jammed so rendering them inoperative? :whatthe:
Gary

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Our insurance company obviously don't rate um as they only offered a small discount if we had one fitted.
I'm sure I read somewhere that signal from them can be jammed so rendering them inoperative? :whatthe:
Gary

No evidence to suggest that this is a problem according to Thatcham. We have checked.

Why offer any discount if they don't believe them beneficial?

As I said Caravan Guard offer up to 30%

Eddie

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
[QUOTE and no doubt a trip down to Devon would be on the cards especially with what would have been a funsters discount ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Trip to Devon??? sorry gone over my head[/QUOTE]
Eddievanblitz is in Devon oops somerset, hee hee and fits a decent tracker with an excellent funster discount. He is als a long term well respected member of fun.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
:roflmto: The normal confusion is that Cornish Farm isn't in Cornwall!

Eddie (In Sunny Somerset)

:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
terry

Trip to Devon??? sorry gone over my head[/QUOTE]

Taunton, Somerset is on my way to Devon Kill 2 birds with one stone ::bigsmile:
As to insurance and trackers and discounts they do not always go hand in hand.IE if you shop around you can get same cover cheaper ins from lots of places :thumb:The only way to check is to get your cheapest quote and then inform the ins that you have a tracker fitted and see if they knock more off your premium :thumb: ie if you are paying £400 ins and they knock 10% off = £360 but you may get ins for £250 without tracker if you get my drift ::bigsmile:
terry
EDIT believe it or not I have been writing this post since 9.45 this morning heehee only just got around to finishing it and reading other reply s

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Eddie

This scenario made me laugh out loud.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Eddievanblitz is in Devon oops somerset, hee hee and fits a decent tracker with an excellent funster discount. He is als a long term well respected member of fun.

ahh I see!
My daughter lives in Taunton so we will be down there often
:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Or: Motorhome Fun has its own "scheme" Trafficmaster (the blue camera people) own Trackstar the UK largest selling stolen vehicle location system.

Funsters pay £249 installed, which includes the first years monitoring/subscription.

If you know that your going to keep the motorhome for a few years you can elect to forgo the first years free monitoring/subscription and upgrade it to lifetime (that you own that motorhome) for only £299

Caravan for example give you up to 30% discount for an approved system (which this one is) so keep the van ten years and your peace of mind is £299 + £249 = £548.00 divide by ten years £58 a year.

Using Geo's example of an average policy of £500 a year, benefit from 30% discount a year £150 quid saving, over ten years £1,500.00 less the £548 to buy, so a potential saving of nearly £1000.00:Eeek: And peace of mind!

Trackstar own Eurowatch, who protect and monitor you when your in Europe, this is the same Company that many of the smaller tracking companies use on your behalf when your abroad.

Trackstar also came out "Best Buy" in a Sunday Times "road test" being tested against all the smaller tracking companies, including CobraTrak and Tracker!

Being the biggest does mean sometimes the best!

Eddie

Spoken like a true salesman
You must pop into the real world now and again Eddie:thumb:
Geo

janandles

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
Our new (to us) van has a tracker Horizon fitted, I phoned tracker and they said it wouold be £149 per year to activate it or £399 one off payment for as long as we have it. What are peoples views do you think that it is worth it?
Thanks

Think how you'd feel if it got stolen. I know if ours wasn't where it was left I would be devastated. My Boss was having one put on his BMW on the Tuesday, it was stolen 3 days before and took 4 months to agree to a payout which was 3k less than he'd paid for it which was 6 weeks before it went. He still can't find one the same and that was last October. No question in my mind if you can afford it do it. Jan & Vic

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

CobraTrak lives up to its name - a load of cobras! This was the tracker fitted to my van when I bought it. Forgot to inform them when the vehicle battery was changed and they never rang me. A few hours later I rang them to query why they had not phoned me to say the van's battery had been disconnected. They said an alert had been registered but had no idea why I had not been informed. Also said they would investigate and ring me back - never did! :Angry:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Spoken like a true salesman
You must pop into the real world now and again Eddie:thumb:
Geo

Geo! It's called "sums" You must know how to do that? I know that you garage owners think of a number and then triple it:winky: but you can actually work things out before hand to see "what's what!" :roflmto:

Eddie

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i would say yea i have a back2you fitted[£120,00] and for the price if a tx i now where my van is 24/7 day or night also other devices connected to it, contact chris truelove at back2 you:Eeek::Eeek:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Speak to Eddie at VanBitz there are far cheaper tracker systems.

BUT I absolutely think a tracker is essential and it can reduce your insurance by lots dependent on where you live

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back