Is a Tracker worth it?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Soaringman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Hi
    Our new (to us) van has a tracker Horizon fitted, I phoned tracker and they said it wouold be £149 per year to activate it or £399 one off payment for as long as we have it. What are peoples views do you think that it is worth it?
    Thanks

2. jezport

jezport Funster

If its insured and the insurers offer a good discount then you know they are worthwhile. If the insurers don't offer a good discount then I would say that if they don't value a tracker why bother.

3. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Your insurers may insist on a tracking device.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

My opinion is (having just had one fitted) that regardless of the financial value of the van, its real value is what it means to you. In the event of it being stolen it is likely that it will be recovered very quickly and hopefully intact. Items may have been removed or damage done but you will have the van back.
    The hassle without the tracker is immense. The police will probably only come accross it by accident after you tell them it has been stolen. That could be many hours after the theft giving the thieves time to strip it, sell it or set fire to it! Now you are without a van, holidays need to be re-arranged, trip cancelled. Countless arguements with insurance compainies over value. Then finding another van and finding the difference between insurance recovery and new van price.
    For the sake of a £299 investment now which covers you for the rest of the time you are going to keep then van is a no-brainer.

5. G2EWS

G2EWS Funster

Agree with the insurance. Without it a lot of companies won't insure you anyway.

Regards

Chris

6. Terry

Terry Funster

It's worth it if your van is stolen :BigGrin: but not if it is not :thumb: Would you want the van back if it was stolen ?Chances are damage would be done and once stolen it goes on a register as been stolen / recovered so it would affect resale price.All you can do is pay your ins and hope it does not get nicked :Wink:There was a post a couple of yrs back about a guy who had had his van nicked and tracked to a piky site but the police would not enter it to recover his van straight away.:Eeek: BY THE TIME THEY GOT ONTO THE SITE NOT A LOT LEFT OF THE INTERNALS :Eeek::Eeek:
    terry
    edit never had ins been refused for not having a tracker,except on a high performance car

• Like Like x 1
  7. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

All this tosh about " you wouldn't want it back" is rubbish

You stand there after a day on the beach, in your flip flops, two sleepy, sandy children and a sun burned wife wearing on a "T" shirt and her bikini bottoms looking at a space in the car park where your motorhome should be:Eeek:

You have a carrier bag with two apples, half a bottle of Tizer (warm) and two left over sardine and tomato sandwiches.

Everything of value is in your motorhome, money, credit cards, passports, insurance.

If I offered to return your van, probably intact within the hour for £150 you'd snatch my hand off!

Having said that very few modern vans are stolen due to the improvement in security and immobilisation, and those that are stolen are stolen for re-sale so looked after and are likely to be returned in good order without anything stolen or damaged.

Older chassis are more prone to be stolen and stripped down for spares and parts

Eddie

• Like Like x 9
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Don't forget this great deal is still around:BigGrin: Trackstar, if you want a tracking system there is nothing to touch this deal:thumb:

9. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I agree, we have a tracker and it does give you peace of mind, we certainly would want our van back as its our home, things like passports and bank cards can be replaced but losing the van would take a whole lot of searching for a place to live!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Thanks for all of your help and advise.
    Tracker subscription £399 one off now paid.
    After what we paid for the MH it is probably worth it.:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Terry

Terry Funster

Sorry Eddie but I disagree :Doh: If somebody nicks my van they are welcome to keep it :Smile: SWMBO would want rid as soon as we got it back.
    At the same time yes I do think trackers are good :thumb: and yes I would give you a 1,000 quid never mind £150 under the circumstance you describe :Rofl1:At the end of the day I pay insurance on the van to cover such things as it being nicked etc so it is down to personal preference as to fitting a tracker.:thumb: In my case it would be a no :Smile: Then again if I had a van worth 60k I would have to think seriously about one and no doubt a trip down to Devon would be on the cards especially with what would have been a funsters discount :BigGrin::Wink:
    terry

12. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Just check with your tracker company that if you sell your van that you can have a refund on the subscription.

We had a caravan with a tracker and paid £199 for lifetime subscription.

When we came to sell caravan we could not transfer tracker membership (better selling point) or get a refund on the lifetime membership.

In the end felt a bit miffed!!!

13. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Tracker

Had a friend with a twin axle Bailey caravan , stolen at 3am from behind his house, recovered untouched via Phantom tracker at 4am, it had been parked up many miles away and the police said the thieves were waiting to see if it had a tracker so they would not get caught with it before taking it home.

At about the same time another friend had a newish TA caravan stolen from a locked barn, no tracker, never seen again.

Comfort Insurance insisted I had a good alarm and a tracker. I have had a Phantom tracker for many years for the peace of mind and if you are keeping the MH it will pay for itself in reduced insurance costs.

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If only they did we would all have one:Doh: Phantom example circa £100 per year subscription average discount from insurance 10%
    You would need to be paying £1000 year insurance to break even, as it stands average policy is aprox £500 you pay £100 per year to save £50:RollEyes:
    It will never pay for its self, peace of mind is a different argument and only the individual can decide if its worth the cost
    Geo

15. eddievanbitz

Or: Motorhome Fun has its own "scheme" Trafficmaster (the blue camera people) own Trackstar the UK largest selling stolen vehicle location system.

Funsters pay £249 installed, which includes the first years monitoring/subscription.

If you know that your going to keep the motorhome for a few years you can elect to forgo the first years free monitoring/subscription and upgrade it to lifetime (that you own that motorhome) for only £299

Caravan for example give you up to 30% discount for an approved system (which this one is) so keep the van ten years and your peace of mind is £299 + £249 = £548.00 divide by ten years £58 a year.

Using Geo's example of an average policy of £500 a year, benefit from 30% discount a year £150 quid saving, over ten years £1,500.00 less the £548 to buy, so a potential saving of nearly £1000.00:Eeek: And peace of mind!

Trackstar own Eurowatch, who protect and monitor you when your in Europe, this is the same Company that many of the smaller tracking companies use on your behalf when your abroad.

Trackstar also came out "Best Buy" in a Sunday Times "road test" being tested against all the smaller tracking companies, including CobraTrak and Tracker!

Being the biggest does mean sometimes the best!

Eddie

16. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

[QUOTE and no doubt a trip down to Devon would be on the cards especially with what would have been a funsters discount :BigGrin::Wink:
    terry[/QUOTE]

Trip to Devon??? sorry gone over my head

17. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

The £399 is for the time that you own the van:cry: but over 20 years..........:thumb:

18. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Our insurance company obviously don't rate um as they only offered a small discount if we had one fitted.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that signal from them can be jammed so rendering them inoperative? :Eek!:
    Gary

19. eddievanbitz

No evidence to suggest that this is a problem according to Thatcham. We have checked.

Why offer any discount if they don't believe them beneficial?

As I said Caravan Guard offer up to 30%

Eddie

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Trip to Devon??? sorry gone over my head[/QUOTE]
    Eddievanblitz is in Devon oops somerset, hee hee and fits a decent tracker with an excellent funster discount. He is als a long term well respected member of fun.