Is a Tracker really worth fitting? (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Only problem is on a modern van each time you used it you would have to go to a main dealer to get the electronics re-programed.
Well, ours was built in 1992, has no 'mapping', no CAT, just a nice lumpy 2.5 turbo with a battery to start it........However, they do the same switch with a fuseable link, so that everything still works, but if a thief tries to start it without the key, zilch.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I am of the opinion that no matter how good your alarm or tracker is they will not stop the professional thief who has targeted your van, what they will do is satisfy the insurance company that you have taken reasonable precautions against it being stolen and an alarm will deter the opportunist thief and maybe lead to their apprehension if there is a tracker, providing the police are on the ball!
So although I have a Cat 1 alarm with all external doors and window covered and a gsm tracker I see it only as a deterrent for the opportunist.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Reading this forum as a complete noob (I am a veteran M/H owner of 7 weeks!) I become rather apprehensive over the security of my new toy.

The £75 tracker (Trackimo from Amazon) I use is a third the size of a cigarette packet, easily hidden and comes with a pre-paid SIM allowing a year of unlimited use. After that it is $48 a year, and it has a web accessible database of movement, in addition to live text and email alerts. It also defaults to GSM positioning in the event of GPS unavailability, and whilst that isn't all that accurate, it gets you to within +/- 100M. It is extremely well hidden, there is no need for external aerials and it just works perfectly. When the vehicle moves, it triggers the device and updates position by text/email every 60 s

The best part of all is that this solution is bespoke, the position of the device is unique to our van, thus people will have no idea where it is fitted. The signal strength to block reception would have to be extremely high, given where it is currently mounted, and it is electromagnetically shielded from the direction of the cab

Insurer's attitudes differ. Comfort wouldn't give any discount for it (offered a miserable £22 discount if I invested around £500 in the Thatcham rip off version) and AIB said that it was considered an "active tracker" and gave me a discount based on that.

We also have an on board CCTV camera linked to Wi-Fi, this sends us a picture of anyone approaching the van by email. Cost £48 from ebay. So far, just one pidgeon and the pool guy taking a nose

I like the idea of a simple fuel cut off switch. It's just a no-brainer that will take 10 minutes to fit and cost less than £10. I reckon that will be the limit of my self induced paranoia

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
On the basis that these " blockers" serve no purpose other than a criminal purpose why doesn't our wonderful Government ban the sale of them?

Perhaps they can also ban the sale of items used to pick locks unless the user is an accredited lock smith or emergency personnel member using it in a profession capacity.

Similarly, they should ban the sale and possession of bump keys and other lock picking tools unless the purchaser can demonstrate a legal and professional need for them.

If you think that your home etc. is safe by using Yale cyclinder locks or similar, look at this ... unless it is a bit too scary:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
And if you have Euro locks (thumb or key turn), watch this

Edited with proper link

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yes we LOVE our van !!
BUT will NOT be paying a lot of money on "Gizmo's"....
But I HAVE bought a Krooklok steering wheel and clutch lock to serve as a visible deterrent . And I bought 2 stickers to go on the inside of the front windows saying "Monitored by tracker".
And I paid £300 for 5 years insurance top-up to give us a brand new van should it be stolen...
As an Ex vehicle tech, I am very aware that 90% of the smart "stuff" we fit to vans can be disabled by the use of equally smart gizmo's used by very well practiced thieves.
However, I am sure that the growlers etc that are fitted (expertly) by Dave Newell and others, give the best protection that is available. But I don't WANT to spend another grand trying to deter the scrotes of this world, they have had enough out of us already !!!
Thats me done.
Do whatever gives you peace of mind and enjoy your van folks.
Mitch.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
An excellent sentiment. I have been driven to the brink of paranoia on the matter of security. Comes from having to leave our van overseas for extended periods, and the hassle of getting insurance companies to come clean about the limitations of their policies (and there are very many) before I have to part with any money to them.

That insurance top up you mention. No chance of a name drop as I would really like to do the same?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi again PYRO.
We dealt with AEQUITAS automotive. (Trading as SHORTFALL)
The ladies name was Andrea Mc Laughlin.
Phone No :- 0800 195 4926
I did however lie about the cost !!
It was £299 !! 5 years cover and it funds the gap between what the insurance company would pay and the cost of a new vehicle replacement. NOT like for like, but the latest updated model..
Ours was a £50,000 (nearly) and the GAP policy is for up to £40,000 on top of what the normal insurance company would pay.
Good luck mate.
Mitch.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
On the basis that these " blockers" serve no purpose other than a criminal purpose why doesn't our wonderful Government ban the sale of them?
Wireless Telegraphy Act amongst others all ban the use of illegal transmission devices and wide spectrum noise generators

Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006 (Sl 2006/3418) specify that all electrical and electronic apparatus placed on the market or taken into service in the UK, including imports, satisfy specific requirements to ensure that they do not cause excessive electromagnetic interference. The maximum penalty for supplying non-compliant equipment under the regulations is a fine of up to £5,000

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@jenny and mitch Many, many thanks, smashing information.

This is now going to be top of the list

Edit: Prices gone up a little, but doing it this way, I can save on my regular insurance. Thanks a bundle

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wireless Telegraphy Act amongst others all ban the use of illegal transmission devices and wide spectrum noise generators

Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006 (Sl 2006/3418) specify that all electrical and electronic apparatus placed on the market or taken into service in the UK, including imports, satisfy specific requirements to ensure that they do not cause excessive electromagnetic interference. The maximum penalty for supplying non-compliant equipment under the regulations is a fine of up to £5,000

But the authorities do what exactly to enforce this?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

What action can be taken against the overseas sellers?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
What action can be taken against the overseas sellers?

But the authorities do what exactly to enforce this?

Unfortunately this is down to the DTI (via OFCOM or the Radiocommunications Agency or one of their many other quangos), which means total lack of imagination, untold layers of bureaucracy and a determination to prove their "worth" by selling off bits of the radio spectrum to mobile phone companies rather than dealing with less profitable enforcement issues.

Frustratingly very few government departments are sufficiently astute when it comes to interpreting and using the tools already available to them. Good news when it comes to tax collection, bad news when it comes to border control, consumer protection, the cps and things like this.

With a bit of imagination, EU law already allows the for imposition of a complete ban on carriage of advertising such products (the Electronic Commerce Directive could be used to force advertisers not to carry such ads at the risk of prosecution). Any government department with half a brain could simply avail themselves of the existing legislation, and put paid to the problem at a stroke. Unfortunately I would be generous in thinking that had half a brain between the lot of 'em . One letter to Amazon, Google and Ebay from the DTI, and these products would not be advertised across Europe

Sadly, then, the law is to all extents and purposes, unenforced even if it is not by any means unenforceable. Not because of legal limitations, budget or demand, but because of bureaucratic inadequacy, incompetency and disengagement with the priority of others.

Sorry, rant over

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
PYRO.. Do you live in Portugal full time.?
@jenny and mitch Not yet, as I have a very elderly mother back in the UK and not all my work commitments can be dealt with remotely, so we're currently running about 7 months of each year out here(Foz do Arelho area, just north of Lisbon)

I suppose we may move out here permanently when the sad but inevitable day arrives

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
It is all so easy to poo poo any kind of deterrent but anything is better than nothing surly. I have yet to figure out why people pay many £1000’s of pounds on the mh and add-ons but have little or no security. Maybe @Jim can help explain why some people just don’t think about it.
Steve

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It is all so easy to poo poo any kind of deterrent but anything is better than nothing surly. I have yet to figure out why people pay many £1000’s of pounds on the mh and add-ons but have little or no security. Maybe @Jim can help explain why some people just don’t think about it.
Steve

The point of the OP was to highlight security and the possible over reliance on trackers

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I go from this to this. That stops them driving away

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
In matters of security we only need to be like the old joke:
Two men in the jungle being chased by a lion. One stops to put on his running shoes. The other says "You cant outrun a lion even with those on." "I don't need to" replied the other "I simply need to outrun you!"
We need to make our van just that little bit more difficult to nick than the other 300 parked within 2 kilometers.

I have "re-purposed" an older smartphone. It is hidden in the woodwork with a dedicated power supply and a cheapo data only SIM card. I can find my phone using Googles free service found here:

https://myaccount.google.com

OK It may not defeat the "GPS jammers but My van doesn't look like one that has a tracker and it might be overlooked.

You all have swivel captain chairs in the cab. Swivel this around to face away from the steering wheel and lock the swivel mechanism with a padlock. (I would pay to see someone driving facing the dining table!!)

Anything like this improves the chances of being overlooked by the poor overworked thief and gives you the "running shoe" edge over the others.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi again PYRO.
We dealt with AEQUITAS automotive. (Trading as SHORTFALL)
The ladies name was Andrea Mc Laughlin.
Phone No :- 0800 195 4926
I did however lie about the cost !!
It was £299 !! 5 years cover and it funds the gap between what the insurance company would pay and the cost of a new vehicle replacement. NOT like for like, but the latest updated model..
Ours was a £50,000 (nearly) and the GAP policy is for up to £40,000 on top of what the normal insurance company would pay.
Good luck mate.
Mitch.
Not a particularly good name for an insurance company? :D

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Now I'm totally flummoxed! Getting a new MH next week. Caravan Guard (who I'm with now) want a tracker as it's worth over 55k (it's 58.5). Their premiums are cheaper than others if I fit one but is it worth it?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
In matters of security we only need to be like the old joke:
Two men in the jungle being chased by a lion. One stops to put on his running shoes. The other says "You cant outrun a lion even with those on." "I don't need to" replied the other "I simply need to outrun you!"
We need to make our van just that little bit more difficult to nick than the other 300 parked within 2 kilometers.

I have "re-purposed" an older smartphone. It is hidden in the woodwork with a dedicated power supply and a cheapo data only SIM card. I can find my phone using Googles free service found here:

https://myaccount.google.com

OK It may not defeat the "GPS jammers but My van doesn't look like one that has a tracker and it might be overlooked.

You all have swivel captain chairs in the cab. Swivel this around to face away from the steering wheel and lock the swivel mechanism with a padlock. (I would pay to see someone driving facing the dining table!!)

Anything like this improves the chances of being overlooked by the poor overworked thief and gives you the "running shoe" edge over the others.

Thanks for the idea about Google location.

Re the padlock, if anyone is thinking of doing similar, use a good quality lock with as little free space between the loop as you can - they are disappointingly easy to break if they have enough space for people who know how to break them.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Now I'm totally flummoxed! Getting a new MH next week. Caravan Guard (who I'm with now) want a tracker as it's worth over 55k (it's 58.5). Their premiums are cheaper than others if I fit one but is it worth it?

Personally i would say NO it is not worth it but you need one for insurance just like i did (MH was worth over 55k when new), dont rely on it get something like the Growler fitted from vanbitz or take further precautions. The visual deterrents like the 3 leds that are very bright and flash when armed will hopefully be enough to get them to move on or the very very loud internal sirens, or even the GSM starter which will only activate if a message is sent from your phone. Just my opinions though.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Unfortunately the whole Thatcham issue will come in to play, so you either end up paying well over the odds for the Thatcham ticket, put a cheaper one in (with "active tracking" features) or forget it altogether.

For us, we initially went with Comfort who offered such a minimal discount on Thatcham trackers (£20/year) we didn't even tell them we had an active unit fitted. For various reasons we subsequently rejected the Comfort policy (we felt we had been misled as to their terms and conditions), and we cancelled and went with AIB, who offered a discount on an active tracker and terms that were acceptable

I did think about just bolting in an old smartphone, but leaving one on charge all the time gave me concerns about the risk of battery fires. Put in a for £75 all in, hid it in a place where nobody will find it as far away from the cab as possible, appropriately shielded (to hopefully escape use of a portable GPS or GSM jammer and surround it with other security measures.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back