Is a Tracker really worth fitting?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Having read BigFoot's thread 'BASTARDS' I would question the value of fitting a tracker.

Trackers are required by insurance companies for (probably) all new MHs, and many used high value used ones - but do they stop thefts?

A MH thief sets out to steal then sell on - he's for want of a better word - a 'professional' thief - and I'd guess most thefts are planned and vehicles targeted

Say the 'target' is a £60k MH don't you think that knowing that the vehicle almost certainly has a tracker the thief might invest a few hundred (or less) on a jammer.

There is a firm on the internet - jammers4u.uk, just one of many that sell jammers

Telling folks on here or Facebook that their vehicle has been stolen and has a tracker might give the thieves more help - they will then shield the vehicle or use a jammer

I am just wondering if fitting a tracker might give a false sense of security and that other ways of protecting your MH might be overlooked

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Abacist

Abacist Funster

You may well have a point!

What are the insurance companies not giving more advice or not specifying other alternative security measures if trackers are being defeated so easily!

Why not something like a permanently built in Go-box whereby you can report the van stolen and the authorities can be alerted to a stolen van passing under gantries, at ports, tolls etc?

• Like Like x 1
  3. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

I do believe a high quality tracker is a worthwhile investment - it may not prevent the theft but can make recovery possible, as well as satisfying the insurance company's requirements.

These are good

www.tracker.co.uk

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Average cost of a broad band tracker killer is now about £15 .. Readily available and sold as something kids can use so their parents do not know what they are up to.. Load of old tosh of course and everyone knows it is only the scum bags who are buying them

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Trackers aren't there to stop theft. They are successful but it can be you get what you pay for. A purely gps based tracker is very easy to block.

7. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I think you will find a tracker that uses a sim card is also very easily blocked, many for sale on ebay that blocks mobile signals, i think as most will agree it is a deterrent but not something that should be relied on. Stopping them starting it would be a better way as if they cant start it they have no chance of nicking it but then there is only so much you can do. Technology is way ahead of what is being used on some of these motorhomes.

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have often wondered the same thing. However with prices as low as £20 for a self managed one I think it is worth the cost.

You can get one that allows you to GEO fence your van (set coords within which the van is considered safe) If it moves outside of the fence you get a message on your phone.
    You can disable the van engine remotely using a text message.
    You can listen in using a built in mic to what the thieves are talking about (maybe use names? talk about where they are going or their plans etc).
    You can track the van in real time.

Plus more. I have one to fit when I get round to it.
    http://amzn.to/1YbuPjz

However my recommendation for security is still prevention. A decent set of deadlocks and a third party method of immobilising.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

KISS and cheap as chips..

one of these in a secret place... switching off the 12v to the fuel solenoid valve..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

A tracker can be useful once your vehicle is gone - but that's too late - it's preventing it going awol in the first place that is key in this scenario.

• Like Like x 4
  11. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Yep . . or simply pull the fuel pump fuse / relay.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Interestingly I looked into having one fitted into our new van and thought I may get a bit more discount on insurance to cover some of the annual costs. Quote with just alarm 394, with alarm and tracker 394...

Cobra trackers have anti jamming technology but how good it is I do not know. Also speaking to a fitter today and he said if the tracker is not well hidden such as in the dashboard the thief can simply find it, rip it out and drive away.

Anyway the jury is still open if I get one at the moment and if they are worth it.

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

The tracker I linked to earlier has an external aerial for both the phone signal and the GPS. I will be putting this on the roof. They would need a fairly powerful transmitter on the gps blocker to get that from inside the van.

It has a switch (relay) like @scotjimland showed but it can be operated by your mobile phone so no physical switch in the cab area to find.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

@zac I wouldn't use a tracker as a deterrent. I would use physical security and alarm immobiliser systems as a deterrent. Tracker is really the last resort. When all else has failed. I wouldn't advertise it having tracker either.
    Some early Tracker customers did that with stickers on the windows. Just meant the thieves always searched for it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Agree a tracker should never be advertised, i am sure they are useful sometimes but on high priced items such as these the thieves are going to be much more prepared, prevention is definitly the better way to go with these as backups.

16. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

A tracker in isolation is only part of the solution to preventing theft/loss

I believe that a combination of actions is the most effective;

Interior alarm with flashing exterior LED's - gives a very visible deterrent, and with a loud internal and external siren draws attention to any potential theif. (part of Growler system)

Ignition Immobilizer - remotely activated by SMS prevents removal of the vehicle if keys are stolen (part of Growler system)

Tracker - whilst this can potentially be blocked, I believe that it can still be effective in many cases (part of Growler system)

Key Security - always store your vehicle keys in a secure place

Keep Valuables Hidden - items of value should never be left on display, or within easy reach of windows.

I understand that its impossible to totally eliminate the risk of theft, taking sensible precautions and installing a good quality alarm, immobilizer and tracker will reduce risk.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Looks good but not sure if I could fit it

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. musson

musson Funster

I have one fitted to the MH i have just purchased £490 for lifetime,some thoughts.
    Would you want your MH back if it was stolen and trashed.

We have just insured ours for £268 with no tracker and standard alarm.

Someone i know purchased an alarm for £300 as added security one off payment.

Guess i am thinking is it worth subcribing to the tracker

19. berni109

berni109 Funster

Horses for courses I think is the appropriate analogy here.
    I fitted the one @grommet referred to and its more capable than I thought possible for the unit price and has many alarm type features as well. It seems to work fine although I have not wired in all the features yet. But until you find the van has gone u are never going to know if it works in real life.
    My van is not worth a great deal so I would find it difficult to justify the cost of monitored tracking or a bespoke alarm.
    If I could afford 60 to 100K + for a van then protecting my investment would entail spending much more on security.

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

The thing I liked most about the one I got was the geo fence option. Set it so that if moved your phone goes off. Then you can remotely disable it and go get the buggers.
    Well that's the theory :p