Is a service critical?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gordoncbrown, Feb 20, 2013.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Just booked in for the annual MOT. Unfortunately the garage is up to it's eyes servicing wise but can fit MOT's in. I know them and they won't promise to do something if they can't. How long can I push it between services? I have , in the last year, fitted a timing belt, new battery, radiator oil change and all filters changed and brakes all overhauled ( and new tyres ). It has completed approx 6000 miles since I last had it serviced and 25,000 overall. It's well looked after and as soon as something is required we get it sorted.

2. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi,Gordon i get mine done every 2nd year after checking service record thats all the original owner did.Most m/homes dont do much more than 5k per year.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Do an "Oil" and "Filter" change irrelevant of what mileage at least once a year... :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We have our van serviced each year at the same time as the MoT. We use a mechanic we've known for over 20 years and who we can trust to do what is needed but not do work for the sake of it.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am a believer in religious servicing. Especially with something like a motorhome that sits around for months on end and can go weeks or even months without being run. Even if its only done 1000 miles in a year the oil will deteriorate and should at least be changed along with the oil filter. My car will do at least 10000 miles per year and the oil is changed at that, but the motorhome is changed at 5000 regardless of where I am. Some commercial vehicles will cover 40000 miles in a few months, and with modern oils this is expectable. Low mileage vehicles do need regular servicing.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Neglect oil and filter at your peril. It's a quick cheap DIY job and makes all the difference long term.

I think FIAT with expensive oil claim 12000 miles, I use normal semi-synthetic and change at 6000.

My next job when we get back from Spain.

7. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

You just ask a woman that:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: