Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all - I've been a longtime lurker, but first time poster, it's time for me to say hello!

I have recently taken a job working just outside of Reading in Berkshire, and whilst the job is enjoyable, the office base is rather far away from my (mortgaged) home in Cardiff. I am currently lodging near the office Monday-Thursday, however the prospect of living in a motorhome seems a tempting idea, as well as serving as an interim office when I fancy working from the beach!

I'm currently 25 and stand at around 6ft 3 - I will be driving the motorhome around 260 miles per week (round trip to the office). I will most likely be using the MH as a Daily Driver in the week (so sub 6m would be nice), however all amenities including shops would be in walking distance of the office.

The two questions I pose to you lovely guys and gals:
1) Is this a sensible idea?
2) Can you recommend any motorhomes that would fit my need? I like the Hymer Van 314, but it's rather pricey - PVCs seem a better option, however my height doesn't appear to fit most specifications.

I realise I am asking for the moon on a stick, however this forum always appears receptive and welcoming to newcomers wishing to join the fold!

Thank you for your help :)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

One observation I would make is that your fuel costs are likely to be high & factor in the toll bridge entry costs to Wales on the M4

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi there, high fuel costs versus rent.....

I would look for a cheap Motorhome to start with. See if you like it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also you will need to research where you can park it during the week.

If it turns out that you would be restricted to sites then it could start getting expensive.

If you've never used one before it's always worth hiring for a week before you buy to see what you're getting in to.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Rough calculation 260 miles @ 30 mpg and £1.15 per litre is approx £45 per week. I think this probably a lot less than paying for lodgings for 4 days per week, or have I missed something?

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. If it were me, I'd be inclined to buy a second-hand motorhome then join the Camping & Caravan Club. They have a number of motorhome campsites close to Reading. Far less stressful than commuting. If you were to decide that motorhoming is not for you, it's easier to sell a second-hand MH than a new one and depreciation would be much less - in fact, you might even make a profit!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Papa_J

Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for your swift replies - I did not expect such a response in so short a time!

I have had a chat with the office manager, and they are happy for me to reside in the car park as long as I don't cause nuisance (no dumping of wastes etc), solar panels and weekend refills should mitigate the need for campsites.

The cheapest I can rent a bedroom for in the local area would be £400 a month, so hopefully the fuel bills will be much cheaper than lodging :)

Upvote 0

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Suppose it depends on how permanent the job is also if attitudes may change to a motor home being in the car park.

I know the office manager says it's Ok, but what if head office (if there is one objects) or other employees, if there are parking pressures.

Clearly, I don't know the factors, but to me it might be the wrong reason for owning one.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Andrew

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you all for your swift replies - I did not expect such a response in so short a time!

I have had a chat with the office manager, and they are happy for me to reside in the car park as long as I don't cause nuisance (no dumping of wastes etc), solar panels and weekend refills should mitigate the need for campsites.

The cheapest I can rent a bedroom for in the local area would be £400 a month, so hopefully the fuel bills will be much cheaper than lodging :)
Weekend refills???? Are you not planning on showering or anything or are there facilities in the office for this so you are only using water for a bit of washing up?

Upvote 0

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
When we bought our Hymer 5 years ago, the previous owner had used it just as you are describing. He basically used it as a hotel whilst he worked during the week and added extras to make it more comfortable for his lifestyle, such as a microwave and air conditioning. It obviously worked for him and as a result we ended up with a van which had low mileage for its age.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2016-8-4_9-50-32.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Papa_J

Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for your replies

I will have access to showers at the office/gym, so the waste water generated will just be the occasional wash up. I will essentially be staying in the motorhome three nights a week (as I will return home on a Thursday evening), so I currently believe that I can be sustainable for that period of time. However I may be wrong as I have never owned a MH before - this is why I'm coming to the experts in the field.

The parking situation isn't too much of a concern, as if head office change their mind about my location, I have already acquired a few locations from the local constabulary which would be acceptable for on-street parking - I'm happy to rotate.

Any recommendations for any MHs that are relatively cheap (either P/M or outright) that would be suitable for myself?

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I certainly think what you're proposing is do-able, I know a financial advisor who does pretty much the same as you're planning - except he parks up on an unofficial campsite and drives into town to his office on a daily basis, then uses the office showers etc. He's been doing that for a few years & he's happy as Larry (whoever Larry is.....)

Sorry I can't help with any of your specific questions, I'm not experienced enough, but if you want to keep on getting the invaluable support of Funsters then you should be aware that you need to subscribe to MotorhomeFun to keep posting and to give you access to so much more of the forum including a download of Jim's famous Motorhome Buyer's Guide - as a self-confessed 'long-time lurker' you'll already know it's the best £15 you'll ever spend! - click on 'Subscribe' in the top dark header bar and it'll take you through the process.

Good luck with your plans!

upload_2016-8-4_21-17-15.png

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Rough calculation 260 miles @ 30 mpg and £1.15 per litre is approx £45 per week. I think this probably a lot less than paying for lodgings for 4 days per week, or have I missed something?

The OP stated he'll be using the MH as a daily driver, as well as his weekly trip, so I based my thoughts on nearer 20 mpg overall - equating to nearer £70 per week in fuel alone & it could be possible to rent a room only for 4 nights per week for around the same money :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Papa_J

Free Member
Aug 4, 2016
Reading, UK
Funster No
MH
Just curious
Exp
I'm a newbie
CWH - point noted, subscription paid :)
MH 55 FUN - I've found a few rooms I could rent for around £350-400 a month, anything less than that and you're sharing a room - God Bless the financial security of the lettings agents!

Thank you all for confirming that it is possible to use a MH as a weekday hotel (and that at least one other person does the same!).

Can anybody suggest a good starter Motorhome that will take my 6ft 3 frame, on the cheaper side of finances? (ideally under 5.5m)

Thank you all for your help!

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I post this as a Funster who used to live in his van and "worked" all over Blighty for decades..

My view is that your current situation is made to measure for using a motorhome rather than renting digs.

Never mind the height factor (I am six feet four), choose a PVC and preferably one with as few windows as possible. The more you can keep the fact you are overnighting in it secret, the less trouble you will have/cause.

Keep your head down when surrounded by "houseys", don't have your slide door open and be sitting in your undies having your first coffee of the day as ordinary folk rush by to get to work whilst you are already there.

The real problem you might face is that soon you will be returning to your expensive "bricks and mortar" less and less, and you will be spending more and more of your own time by beautiful beaches or in green and pleasant countryside, or parked around the corner from the night club.

Good luck and welcome to Fun

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There are so many different makes, models, styles and layouts out there is difficult to recommend any one. It a very personal choice and what suits one person won't another.
We spent nearly twelve months finding ours and two years on we still love it. There are many that change after twelve months or so because they bought wrong. Time spent on researching websites and sales pitches is the only way I think and layout, layout, layout. Get it right first time :D

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
This is exactly the reason I bought my first MoHo!

I got bored with B and Bs and loved just hanging my clean shirts in the wardrobe rather than trying to fold them into a suitcase and putting Sunday Roast leftovers into the fridge rather than eating McDonalds or similar rubbish.

Took it to France for hols and was hooked, so beware.

One alternative in Reading may be to rent your house out and buy a narrow boat? I am not as tall as you but don't have full headroom on my boat; you'd be amazed how much time you don't spend standing fully upright (c:

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Robin,

You need what we call a 'nonde van' (pronounced Nondee) A non-descript van. There are plenty of panel vans that you can use, but wow you'll find they are expensive compared like for like to coachbuilts. Don't discount buying Self-builds. There are a lot of people who self-build the perfect Nondee and these turn up on the web for sale quite a lot. Here's a cheap Nonde as an example. They often have less windows and are perfect for overnighting in towns and cities. Park in different places in the car park and no one will even notice (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
The OP stated he'll be using the MH as a daily driver, as well as his weekly trip, so I based my thoughts on nearer 20 mpg overall - equating to nearer £70 per week in fuel alone & it could be possible to rent a room only for 4 nights per week for around the same money :)

He'd still have to have a daily driver and transport to and fro so even if he found a MH with such appallingly low fuel consumption the calculation should be based on the increased cost rather than the absolute?

My old Hymer gives about the same MPG as my Landrover Freelander, so the additional fuel cost would be zero (c:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I post this as a Funster who used to live in his van and "worked" all over Blighty for decades..

My view is that your current situation is made to measure for using a motorhome rather than renting digs.

Never mind the height factor (I am six feet four), choose a PVC and preferably one with as few windows as possible. The more you can keep the fact you are overnighting in it secret, the less trouble you will have/cause.

Keep your head down when surrounded by "houseys", don't have your slide door open and be sitting in your undies having your first coffee of the day as ordinary folk rush by to get to work whilst you are already there.

The real problem you might face is that soon you will be returning to your expensive "bricks and mortar" less and less, and you will be spending more and more of your own time by beautiful beaches or in green and pleasant countryside, or parked around the corner from the night club.

Good luck and welcome to Fun

Hotel rooms, digs and rented flats (plus getting to and from them) cost massively more than a few gallons of diesel...

@Robinjohns1
My advice for whats it worth is too listen to someone who's actually done it as all the rest is just guessing, and there he is quoted above.
You couldn't ask for more than straight from the horses mouth.(y)(y)

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I work with someone who does exactly what you are planning but with a 7.5metre coachbuilt and he stays on a local farm nearby who charge £10. For that he gets all the usual campsite facilities including ehu. He travels to work on a Tuesday and returns home on Friday. He seems very happy with the set-up.

I don't think the type of motorhome is a major factor so I'd go for the best I could get for my budget.

Allan

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think the type of motorhome is a major factor

It is not if you plan to spend each night at a campsite or the like but believe me, it is a major factor if you want to overnight somewhere discreetly... like your work place's carpark.

Get into your 7.5 metre motorhome, close the curtains and every passerby knows you are staying there...

Just saying...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At the risk of being 'hung, drawn and quartered' by some members, I'll ask the question ... does it have to be a motorhome? Perhaps considering a caravan and your car would be a more cost effective option (putting the caravan on a site, at least initially) to see if you are happy living in a 'box' - if not then you can sell a caravan much easier than a MH/PVC, if you do like it then you can change to a MH/PVC.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say ... to tow a caravan you'd need the appropriate category on your driving licence.

Also think about insurance for a MH/PVC as you may find it is very high at your age!

Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
It is not if you plan to spend each night at a campsite or the like but believe me, it is a major factor if you want to overnight somewhere discreetly... like your work place's carpark.

Get into your 7.5 metre motorhome, close the curtains and every passerby knows you are staying there...

Just saying...

I take your point but where I work it wouldn't be an issue. What I meant was it would not be my main criteria for choosing.

Allan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back