Is a habitation check worth it for a decent mechanic to have done on their van.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Feb 20, 2015.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

When I bought my van it had a brand new check just done by the local MH dealer. and a main dealer service for the chassis.
    However I have always been a bit disappointed by the heating in the van, but this weekend away when it was cold, so was I, I thought this is not on for a van that can go all year so I started delving into the heating system, It is a Truma hot water and blown air system.
    I crawled around under the van checking on ducts and looking for mouse nests etc nothing. Inside I looked at the boiler itseld and found that the paper duct tubes were not all attached to the vents under the boiler and that the air was going straight out as the ir went the easy way, the tube were just poking up miles from the outlets. I had thought the boiler heat was making the cupboard warm but no it was the outlet pipes blowing in there. A simple fault but how did he miss it, the entire front of the habitation area was cold with nothing going there at all. I have decide to go it alone myself as I have the required skills to do these checks and if they are not being done properly at a dealer then it is a waste of money just for a ticked form.

• Like Like x 8
  2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Sorry to read that. I hope that the hab check I have booked for next week is carried out a little bit more professionally.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Air duct tubes falling off the Truma is not uncommon - they are a simple push-fit.
    I regularly check that mine are still attached (MAKE SURE THE TRUMA IS COLD FIRST!!!!!)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Never had a habitation check done on a van what's the point I'm more than capable myself.

• Like Like x 4
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

If theres any warranty on the van it will almost certainly require you to have a habit check carried out by an approved person as a condition of the warranty. If there isn't and you have the skills why not do it yourself. I believe you can download various hab service check sheets so the you make sure you cover everything that an "expert" would

• Like Like x 4
  6. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Was it bought new If not does it still have a water ingress warranty if so when is it expected to be inspected and when does the warranty end???

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hab checking is something that every owner should know how to do themselves.. if not you should learn or ask someone to show you. You can download a check list ..just Google it

Also, it shouldn't be a once a year check.. you can and should do the checks before every trip, check for damp regularly.. sooner caught the better, waiting 12 months may cause untold damage leading to expensive repairs .
    By doing your own checks you will learn about your van.. and will know how to fix small problems, invaluable when you are away from home and not close to the dealer.. and there is plenty of help and advice on here if you get stuck.

Also bear in mind the hab check does not include servicing of gas appliances.. only checking operation. If you find an issue and don't feel confident to remedy, post on here first and if still unsure, by all means call in the 'expert'

I do appreciate that 'some' dealers warranties require the hab check to be done by a 'professional' or it voids the warranty.

I also know of one dealer ( Johns Cross, a member ) who gives three years free hab checks with every van sold.

8. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Not a warranty issue for me but I've read the small print of my insurance. No cover for fire if no inspection by qualified engineer in the last 12 months. Thats with LV Highway.

9. joncris

Our Rimor requires a 6 monthly damp check (by a qualified engineer) in order to maintain the warranty

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The ducts were probably overlooked at the factory build........typical British workers attitude.....tea up lads !

11. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Good pointer and may explain 'issue'with our Combi 4 on the current van. Cheers(y)

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Habitation service not a condition of warranty on Hymers, a damp check is, but that is a different matter.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

probably a slip of the tongue .. but it's a Hab check.. not a service.. items are inspected and or tested.. but not serviced.

the only item I see on the list that is serviced is the corner steadies and or retractable step which are checked and lubricated.

any items requiring servicing, you will be advised about, and if undertaken, charged extra

A Damp test is carried out & readings noted on a separate damp report sheet.

14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Is that a hidden message from the makers???? Do they expect leaks?
    I have just done a new sealing job across the whole front moulding where it joined the body, the previous owner spent a load getting it don and it was a splodgy mess of sealer. total bodge, who do these dealers employ in their workshops.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It is a chausson and it is 7 years old but the duct was taken right away from the boiler and left down the back it was not misplaced it had been removed and put aside probably because it was in the way of something. I have fixed and checked it out, it has never been so cosy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. joncris

Dunno but its certainly not leaking at mo I also think that they would want to catch any water ingress ASAP hence the 6 month check
    Do you have a Rimor?

17. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

My Hab check (required by the warranty) is happening next month and DOES include gas.
    Unless you are looking over the mech's shoulder, you don't know whats done and whats not.. BUT, the stamp is in the book and that gives me cover !! £140 !!
    Meantime, I check myself !! Trusting, I aint. !!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Snap, totally agree. Once the van is out of warrantee periods take care of it yourself.
    It's a MH not a jet fighter.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Buy German and you don't need to worry about the warranty, they don't insist on hab checks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

I had a mobile engineer out fit a bike rack on the rear of my MoHO but he informed me it wold not go on due to the outside shower and barbie gas point covers blocking the bottom rail. So I ask him to carry out a Hab check. He was very thorough, checked water (brought his own), gas (brought his own), electrics (his genny) and a complete damp check. All fittings work and even took time to explain how to switch on things etc. This was on our new to us van,, I was very impressed and even more so at the bill considering he came to me at the storage yard. £120 all in.:D:D