is a 100 to many or should it be limited to 60

Discussion in 'Rally Planning Discussion and Chat' started by slobadoberbob, May 2, 2012.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Is 100 to many for a meet? or should it be limited to 60?

We have been moved at Malvern as we outgrew the original area we had, which was near the entrance to the show... so we ended up in the back of beyond because we had increased in numbers (Nothing to do with Clive's (The Griffs) singing.... we also moved at Peterborough as we had grown.. to an area that was more lily and prone to flooding (as we know it did) because we had gone up to 100 in number.

A couple of questions are raised in my mind.

1) Can all of us get in to our own tent with the prospect of 200 people if 100 motorhomes are booked in with us.

2) Will the quality of the bacon rolls suffer ... supplementary question here.. can they be cooked fast enough of is bacon rolls to feed 200 people a) will the local supermarkets have enough rolls or bacon:Sad: b) can you actually get to the tent with so many in the line and c) if JIM is selling his fairy lights .. that means we do not have his dab hand at the cadac?:cry:

3) it will take hours to say yellow to everyone on a fine day... I will have to pack a lunch and take a flask .. or if I keep getting offered a mug of tea will I get back to in time to have a
    pee?:Blush:

ON a serious note... the poor Marshall's trying to park up that number i.e 100 looks a daunting task.. almost full time warners yellow jackets are needed, not club members.

I always manage to book early.. often some leave it to the last moment and as we know those that wanted to turn up on spec and go in the general area were unable as they closed the entry to them.

But I wonder what thoughts, debate this will bring .. I feel, and it is my personal view at 50 to 60 is a good number.. At Newbury we have about 30 if I am not wrong.. that is going to mean I can get around and see all and I am still in striking distance to get back to the RV when it is time to empty the bladder... my poor old scooter batteries will run out if we get any bigger... I joined MHF because it was a friendly smaller group.. if I wanted large I would go with C &CC or general parking. So what say you:shout:

Bob:Cool:

2. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

60 good 100 better 200 better still

• Like Like x 8
  3. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

bring it on! the day when we are the biggest club at meets and rally's:thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Personally speaking I think the size of the turnout is fantastic and a great reflection on the "Forum" in general.
    What does stand out for me though is the fact that Event organiser's are quite happy to take our money then push us out into the extreme perimeters of the events,or is that just me being cynical?

• Like Like x 10
  5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I think you have hit the nail on the head

Cynical? no I think you have hit the nail on the head... the bigger we are the worse we are treated by Warners.

Being big is fine if it works for you. But we seem to be in the situation where we are given the worse camping areas, miles from the show ground.

Now for example I used to go in Disabled parking and was right beside the show... with MHF I am now miles away from the show. (was ok a couple years ago) same with Peterborough.. we are now consigned to MHF lake....

It will decide my booking pattern next year I know that. While I love being with MHF.. but not at the cost of being sent miles away... The bus service from the area we were in was fine for many.. but not with a wheelchair or a scooter. I had to watch my battery charge state very very carefully. Takes the edge off the show.

So no I do not think you are being cynical....

Those that want it large so far where were they at Peterborough?

Bob:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush::reel::reel::reel::reel:

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I see your point Bob. Some of the best get-togethers are when there are only enough people to fit under an awning, say 20 or so; everyone gets to sit down together no one is left out. But at the large show rallies if you excluded some people because we were 'full' they might just go with another club. :Eeek: Its a difficult one. Anyone running a meet can limit the numbers to suit them and their workload but I wouldn't want to do that at the show rallies. Hopefully we'd just keep adding additional marshals.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its not that they are treating us worse, its just we outgrow the areas closer to the show. All those bits of grass inside and closer are taken up by the much smaller clubs that are pitching up with 10/20/30 vans or so. Take the Dung heap last year the MCC were even further away, Facts were just next to us. The bigger rally areas are normaly a little further away. And while it might feel like miles, its generally a couple of hundred meters at most:Smile:

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Generally speaking I suppose the physical space available at any given venue is the real limiting factor. In most cases that means the total can't be anything but more modest.

9. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

size is not important..... according to the mrs !!!!

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Marjal was a perfect example, very quickly everyone got to know the whole team.

Pity about the position :Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  11. keith

keith Funster

We have already decided we don't want to attend these large events they are just too big to be fun.
    Last year we went to Shrewsbury and although I cannot remember how many were there it was a small number and we enjoyed it more than a large meet.
    The B & B appears to be getting a bit too big, it was more enjoyable when we knew everyone there. At a large meet you can never get to meet (or remember) everyone. :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

I think Funsters are like cold beers in the fridge, RAM or goals in the back of United's net... there can never be too many of them...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 8
  13. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Maybe we need to split into Funsters Northern Section, Funsters Southern Section and Daily Mail reading Funsters:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Sonja

• Like Like x 7
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But that would prevent the former bringing culture to the others :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  15. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We cant do that Sonja, :Wink: our assistants are in the northern section. :Smile:

You tell her Graham. :Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob.

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff
    Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. dj motormouth

dj motormouth Read Only Funster

Why not have two fields of 50. The first to book go in the first with their marshalls and the next in the following with seperate marshalls. And if that big another field and so on.

Could even then reach a point of having a complete circle of adjoining fields around an event but each looked after as an individual - but all together.

Michael

• Like Like x 3
  18. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Michael, you have a good idea there, :Laughing: how about you marshal for RVOC, :Wink: and we will be in the field next door and marshal for fun. :thumb: :Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob.

19. dj motormouth

dj motormouth Read Only Funster

KNowing some of the rvoc guys - of which I am one - I don't want a hi-vis.

I will need a combat jacket.
    Must try and remember where I put my paintball gun - that would sort out any parking disputes.
    :welcomefunster::welcomefunster: - wrong bit - move over

Winnies here

Others there

sounds fun - will have to meet up somewhen

Michael

• Like Like x 2
  20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Worryingly so, it's a small site, small pub, straw that broke the camel's back comes to mind.