Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Approaching 80 next year.

Or is it time to think about packing it all in?

That you ask the question is telling. We have no idea of your capabilities, you do and you ask the question.

Better safe than sorry is a good idea.

Ask your doctor and/or a driving instructor.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You're never too old, unless your dr tells you otherwise of course

80 is the new 60, just be careful about taking on any loans that you may struggle to repay

As for taking it with you, well, if that happens then please be careful to empty your grey tank over France

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Is that too old to think about trading in our current motorcaravan for a new one?
Dealers are quoting about £11,000 to £12,000 trade in on our van.
Health is generally okay, eyesight good but due to a problem with my left ankle I could do with switching to an auto.
Not all finance houses seem to want to offer loans at that age.
Is 80 to old?hell no .Im almost 61 ,I know I don't look it:cool: I'm hoping to keep motorhoming until I'm in my 80,s .I intend to be the Mick Jagger of motorhoming(y)
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
At Lincoln on Saturday my first wife and her sister got into a conversation with a couple who, having seen a 'new' MH on Friday which they really liked and having made up their minds overnight to trade up, returned to do the deal only to find it had been sold.
She was 88 and he was 90.
Spud.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Met a chap in Navajas, Spain (in the hills nearish Valencia) in March. He was 83 and had towed a large caravan there from Dornoch ( north Scotland).
A pals dad is 92 and still tows a caravan, although only in Scotland now.
My father in law decided to give up driving at 80, since when he's become gradually more housebound.
Keep going as long as you can.

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Thank you all so much for your helpful and encouraging replies.
Now if you could all just throw a few bob in the kitty..........

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We're at a cl,quite friendly with the owner and the last people on our pitch ,he was 80, she was 84 went out every day on their bus passes, was here for 10 days, magic!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Too old for what ??? ;) I hope not as my hubby turns 80 in Feb we have no plans to give up anytime soon, he is a very good driver, his problem is not knowing when he has driven enough, I refused to go abroad this year as last year we did 3.500 miles on our 6 week trip its me 7 years younger that would like to slow down.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when i was 43 yr old i knew a uk gent that married a moroccan women 26 yr old .
he was from reading and drove an iveco big van . it was a camper . .
i remember thinking i hope at 86 yr old i have the energy he had .
unfortunately a few years later he died . not sure what caused it . ha ha .
but i shall remember him for ever .
even my youngest lad who was only twenty at the time still talks about tony with the big iveco camper.
your never too old .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Is that too old to think about trading in our current motorcaravan for a new one?
Health is generally okay, eyesight good but due to a problem with my left ankle I could do with switching to an auto.
Hi Sphgmo go for it, you are possibly only a few years older than the majority of Fun members anyway, as far as finance, I think max age for mortgage offers has been increased to 85 so have a word with your BS manager. Good luck......(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I too test drove the "AutoClutch" system some years back, it seemed to work very well, I wanted to put it into my "toad" which would at that time have allowed SWMBO to drive it. In the end we bought a Smart Car. But still it`s an option worth looking at. I think at the time the conversion was about £1200 (ish?) Fitted.

Pete

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Without wishing to rain on the parade, no amount of clichés will alter the sums involved here.

Assuming you're after a "New" new van we're talking what £50k? Less your trade in - £12k. So you'd be looking to finance £38k ish.

If you can find a finance house willing to lone an octogenarian that sort of money I'd guess it will be for a maximum term of 5 years. That's (in round figures), £630 a month PLUS interest before you've even thought of running costs!

Personally, if you're serious about this and a home owner, I'd explore equity release to finance the deal. Far better to be borrowing money that (effectively) is already yours. Just tell the kids / grandkids you've spent their inheritance.

I wish you well in your decision and continued motorhoming.

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Cilfan. Thank for your interesting comments.
I have been to a couple of dealers and they have come up with much the same figures as you.
We saw a van at one that we liked- a Swift Rio 320 Auto on special offer at £46995.
They seemed to think that I could get finance but, as you so rightly say, for a limited period and they came up with a monthly figure in the high £600's. No question of us getting to that.
They then suggested PCP over 5 years where with the £11200 on the old van plus about £3000 extra they could get it down to just over £400 per month.
But the fly in the ointment was the balloon payment at the end of £17380.
Equity release is another option but I have to confess that I am not a fan of using it.
Now where did I put the umbrella?

Aug 5, 2012
Hitchin
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 644.
Exp
since 1970's
Don't stop till your Dipstick falls off:LOL::cool::ROFLMAO:

Snowbirds.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes but you've clearly lost it, you've not offered a suitable deal. The Peter of old would have signed him up by now.

No way would any one at Johns Cross sign up someone on a stitch up deal they coudnt manage, not our scene !

Peter

eroom

Funster
Deceased RIP
Feb 17, 2012
Broadstairs KENT
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Off &On 12 years
Go for it. I'm 89 and I bought a new Benimar 286 in May. I do recommend you get automatic though and of course cruise control'
Also lovely to see Movan on the thread. love from Billy & Gwen and to let Dave and family know we are thinking of them and our other new made friends as we've been out of touch for a while. Eroom xx

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You're only too old when you think you are! You need to s,like in your grave with a glass of wine in one hand and bar of chocolate in the other going "woohoo - what a ride"!!!

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
Just keep on doing it. You know it makes sense. Automatics, proper ones, are the way to go. I've been using 'em for over fifty years.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Could you not sell your present van privately you may get far more then a dealer will offer ..?

Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
My Dad has just had a new car. He drives every day. He was REALLY enthusiastic when I told him about my Land Rover offroad birthday I'd had. We all got together to secretly organise one for him. We took him up to Honiton on a "mystery day out." He had a Fantastic time (his words) driving a brand new Range Rover all around the course, through rivers etc. It was his 98th birthday! I hope I've got some of those genes. So Sphgmo, there's no cutoff age to enjoying yourself (and there are lots of late used automatic 'vans around). Keep going for as long as you enjoy it!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So it's nearly a year since you posted the op

And I'm dying to know..... Did you buy the new van

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As already said, the obvious cheapest way, apparently £1395, is to convert the vehicle you already have, assuming you are still happy with it. Anything else is just silly. :)

OP
OP
S
Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Oh Dear.
Sorry to say that have not changed vans yet.
We have both had a few (minor) health issues but calendar seems to have been full of medical appointments.
Still mulling it over.
Have been to some shows and visited various dealers but have not seen anything to fit the bill.
Interestingly I have just seen that the dealer selling the previously mentioned Swift Rio has just been sold.,

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No, do not buy another van. The government need all your money. You duty is not to spend it it on filthy foreigner vans. Rule Britannia. They need it to pay for planes to go on their new Carrier.

If you want one go and get it a HAPPY PERSON lives longer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back