Is £432 for a habitation services for PVC (Moto-Trek) too much? (1 Viewer)

Is £432 for a habitation services for PVC (Moto-Trek) too much?

• What!!!!! Spilt tea/coffee/ beer over keyboard

Votes: 80 96.4%
  • That gold tap needs a good polish - well worth the money

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Moto_Trek. Not really surprised based on there previous track record with customers.
The choice of motorhomes on offer is vast so isnt it time people took notice of companies with dreadful track records.
Motorhome Fun has a vast array of experienced people who are available to answer ANY questions. Before parting with your cash just ask the members or check out the posts relating to manufacturers.
As most members will say we are in a high end leisure hobby so some manufacturers / dealers just rip us off.
After purchasing 13 motorhomes in nearly 30 years there is only 2 dealers that I would trust. I've NEVER gone back to a dealer for ANY services because I need it carried out properly and at a realistic price. Two local dealers I do work for agree a fair price is around £85 to £165 depending on the habitation service and vehicle size.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
My coach built was quoted at £238 that was main dealer ( as above post it way over the top)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I can understand having a history on the chassis to make sure (as sure as you can be) that service items have been changed, but a history of hab checks I would consider not that important ( DIY ). one done and documented just before I bought it would be of more interest to me.

Completely agree. But a full history demonstrates the owner or previous owners have taken the care to maintain the vehicle fully..

I know we have smoke detectors and Co2 detectors and so on but the safety side IMO needs checking..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would imagine if something went wrong as a result of not checking say an appliance that should have been checked then it would be unreasonable to expect warranty to be honoured . But if something goes wrong that is unrelated to the checks then it would be only fair to expect it to be fixed .
Well the Germans manage it and they are the largest manufacturers in Europe.
German law requires a gas safety check every 2 years, but that only costs a few quid.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
When I bought my first Chausson I was told that the annual hab check had to be done by one of their dealers or the warranty would be voided. I have since checked this and yes, it does say that in the paperwork. I guess I have no choice (except for which dealer I use).

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
They had his old RV as part exchange C£45,000 then he paid another C£50,000 there is a small balance outstanding which he has held onto pending the works being completed, but not a significant amount :(
Really just a pain in the arse and at 73 years old Dad really doesn't need the hassle.
When we went to fetch the van, I was all for going straight to the Malvern show which was on at the time, and telling everyone, showing an interest in the Moto-trek stand, our story, but I was persuaded by the dealership not to, when they agreed to put right the works immediately "starting today if not Monday"!
Here we are 4 months later and no further forward.
At the end of the day the dealership don't want bad publicity but frankly they have had their chance as have the manufacturer
Just catching up again.....have you spoken to trading standards? Not sure if they could advise.....
I found them great with one problem but a waste of time with another issue.
Must be alot of stress for everyone:(

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
When I bought my first Chausson I was told that the annual hab check had to be done by one of their dealers or the warranty would be voided. I have since checked this and yes, it does say that in the paperwork. I guess I have no choice (except for which dealer I use).

Nothing they put in the paperwork can take away your rights as a consumer. If I was denied warranty on this and the law was on my side I would simply set a small claims procedure in motion.. Retailers and manufacturers will avoid this like the plague !!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Just catching up again.....have you spoken to trading standards? Not sure if they could advise.....
I found them great with one problem but a waste of time with another issue.
Must be alot of stress for everyone:(
No not contacted them, dad wants to go and see the dealer next week. Will update after that meeting.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You simply CANNOT find enough work on a van to justify half that amount there just is not enough on the vehicle to actually do. There is something wrong basically with this whole matter. I would say to everybody to have nothing to do whatsoever with these people. If they carry on like that about an inspection what would they do about a claim for something on a warranty?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Reading between the lines here but if the OP has had things go wrong with this company in the past I wonder if they have submitted an increased price to encourage he or she to go elsewhere ???

Over many years trading we have done that if we don't want the job. For instance we had a customer once who was a nice chap but took an eternity to pay us, put simply it was not worth the agg.

Not for one minute am I suggesting the OP has done anything wrong but that quoted price is just daft...

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not everyone has heard of Moto Trek but they aren't a small company likely to disappear anytime soon - they had a huge stand with loads of new models in a prime central area at the last NEC Show despite all the bad things reported here about their difficulty to supply what they promised! By comparison Globecar who have a reputation for build quality & Customer Services were tucked away in a corner with just a few PVC motorhomes - much less than previous years. It's concerning that a company like Moto Trek that treats customers in this way must be getting the sales so lots more buyers might be getting the same treatment :( Would encourage anyone to post their feedback (good or bad) on the forum so at least potential buyers researching Moto Trek online might make an informed choice & be aware of the potential pitfalls rather than fall for the sales blurb.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am just waiting for someone from moto trek to register again and post whar a wonderful service they get and whar a great firm it is.. That is what they have resorted to in the past :whistle: o_O

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Well the Germans manage it and they are the largest manufacturers in Europe.
German law requires a gas safety check every 2 years, but that only costs a few quid.
Doesn't Hymers water ingress warranty require an annual damp check at a Hymer dealers to maintain their warranty?
That's usually for the length of the warranty which I thought was for at least 6 years. And a gas test every two?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have just booked my M/H in for its first annual habitation service.

Cost £125 + any parts +VAT but minus 20% as a regular customer.

Now just have to get the FIAT part dealt with.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doesn't Hymers water ingress warranty require an annual damp check at a Hymer dealers to maintain their warranty?
That's usually for the length of the warranty which I thought was for at least 6 years. And a gas test every two?
Yes it does require the damp check but this thread is about habitation checks. I mentioned the gas check earlier it is nothing to with Hymer it is German law for German registered Motorhomes and caravans, so only required if registered in Germany.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Blimey, glad to see that I’m not alone in thinking it was taking the proverbial, thanks everyone for the responses. The two that so far voted that they think it’s a reasonable sum, well I have some magic beans that you may be interested in buying?

My rationale in “commissioning” the poll was to gather some evidence to demonstrate that Moto-Trek are being unreasonable and this may be used as evidence if this ends up at the small claims court.

The issue I have is that my side door is leaking badly and I want it sorted, local Peugeot dealer confirmed that it is the way the interior trim has been fitted. Moto-Trek are ignoring my emails and I am just about to fire off a recorded “letter before action” giving them one final opportunity to correct the problem before I get it sorted by a third party and take action against MT to recover these costs. I half expect MT to hide behind the fact that I didn’t get the habitation service carried out by them last year, which given the cost and my previous experiences with their appalling customer service is hardly surprising. Will keep folks posted as to how this unfolds…..

Dealing with some of the points raised here by others, not in any particular order and trying to avoid huge reams of quoted text:

@Jaws and @Jim I am aware that the terms of the warranty do not comply with consumer law and will be reminding them of their obligations. I have had similar experiences with both small and large companies in the past and so far I have won, although it takes time I am one of those sad people that quite enjoy these little battles!

@big map I really feel sorry for you and your dad, sadly the issues I’ve had with Moto-Trek are not unique. There are two posters on here, one who lost a sizable deposit and one, like me, whose experience was spoilt by their customer service – or lack of. I have also been contacted by one other disappointed customer. So on balance I would suggest that the problem is with MT and not your dads dealer – they’re probably caught in the middle. For the record when mine was delayed they ended up paying a B&B as I use the van for work and suffered a loss due to their incompetence – this was knocked off my final bill, but it was in the days when Christian was involved and he was trying to help customers that had been let down. If your dad / you do decide to take it to Trading Standards and needs any supporting evidence I am more than happy to try and help.

@Wombles @GWAYGWAY and @wiljoy et al, Moto-Trek are a large and currently solvent operation, I did the checks before I placed our initial order. The sad fact is that the vans they build at the price point do represent cracking value for money, reflecting the massive discount they get on their base vehicles. My van was 85% right and is now probably 95% right, but I’m not prepared to accept water pissing in the side door every time it rains heavily. What really annoys me is that they don’t seem to understand the internet age, they will spend £100’s k + on shows and marketing, but fail to realise that most prospective customers will look for reviews online before placing an order, the old maxim that the best salesperson is a happy customer is so true. I had one friend who was very taken by my van, but based on my experience with MT now owns a continentally purchased Globescout thanks @Judge Mental !

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
An update. Dad has just been to dealership and he is happy with the works carried out. He has asked for the driving seats to be altered (this is a new thing) and they have agreed, hopefully it will be ready next week or the week after and then it just has to go in to have the paintwork redone in April.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Has anyone managed to get warranty repair for damp having not bothered to have habitation checks done?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back