Irresponsible Wild Camping at Loch Lomond (1 Viewer)

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
My wife's family is from the Gobals in Glasgow, and made better in the 1960's when they came to Coventry to work in the car industry.

For years my wife refused to go to Scotland, or even associate herself with Glasgow much to my bewilderment, until we went to Blackpool a few years ago. We went for the weekend and happened to book a weekend that apparently fell in the Glasgow fortnight. After seeing their behaviour I started to understand why my wife will not associate herself with Glasgow.

Two years ago some old Army mates and I did a charity hike up Ben Nevis in aid of SAFA, and camped in Glen Coe for the weekend. what I saw of the behaviour of the youngsters from Glasgow was disgusting, and confirmed my wife's views. Once these people had drunk several bottles of Buckfast each they went on an orgy of violence and sex, with a scene of devastation left the next day.

I imagine the locals of some Mediterranean towns think the same of our youth as well.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Wild Camping to the litter louts is just setting up a tent and going wild with alcohol, drugs, fires and loud music.
I think I would be angry if we were made to feel unwelcome as a result of some litter louts or 'Riff Raff' as they have been called. :thumb:
I'm afraid that a lot of these campers later become motor home owners that would never admit to dumping anything, but a lot of them still do.:whatthe:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sorry to buck a old thread up :Blush:...............

No need to apologise Jim. Pity you and your friends didn't have a camera. I sometimes think that naming and shaming with photos is going to be the only way to sort out the irresponsible louts - whether in motorhomes or not.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use LL quite often and last time 3 cars of yobs left empty food tins and loads of rubbish i wasnt going to approach them but i did note down their number and pass it to police never hear another thing.

Motavater i am also from the Gorbals as is my mother i left when i was 7 but my mother lived there for about 30 years and is now 71 and so proud of where she comes from as should your wife. My Parents have since owned several pubs and cafes and know matter what circle of friends their with they all know my mums from the gorbals Just because there are some bad apples which you get everywhere shouldnt make you ashamed of where you come from.

Rant over no offence meant just a passinate Weggie

Gerry

daveshellwildcampers

Free Member
Jul 11, 2009
North lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
may 09
wild camping litter

we have been to quite a lot of places and one of the worst offenders is night fishing/carp fishing not everyone just some !! from lake district to scotland even royal forest in london !! i usally take a bag or two and bag up rubish from the shores were we stop ! the rangers at ullswarter have seen us doing this at a layby we used to use regular and i never had any problems with them ! and id take them away to the nearest bin so others can enjoy the places !! as for toilets it just needs planing and emptyin when you can properly !!!! i think we get the blame but its not down to us all the time !!

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
memories

I would suggest that the Lady is not ashmed of where she comes from but annoyed with the life experiences she has had in Glasgow, others have had good experiences so they stayed.Its that simple.
I do not live in Glasgow but drive through it and in my view they are the most considerate of drivers I always tell my friends and relations they are the nicest in the world not that I have driven all over the world but when I drive in Dublin my Blood presure is high I have been cut up on more roundabouts in one day then in all my time going through Glasgow, Every nice place that is near a city has the same problems in Uk and Ireland and Ireland do not have rubbish bins anywhere but it is strill dumped. Lay-bys the worst was in England Bins full and it was thick it was a good lay-by as it was part of an old road so traffic could get right off it shame really.

I take my hat off 2 all you wild campers i would love to do it but havent got the guts so I spend an arm and a leg going on long trips as they charge high rates in services to spend the night then you come out and a sign tells you take a break dont drive when tired love to no what others do as hubby and I are trotting on a bit now. Ann

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
This has been on the cards for some time,
Used to boat on Loch Lomond until a couple of years ago, the main reason we stopped visiting had nothing to do with the new Park Authority, our best of days usually included a bbq on some island or a secluded shore beach but gradually the amount of filth left behind by some put us off.
The authority try their best and organise clean ups etc. but with the number of morons taking to the outdoors they are fighting against it.
As is usual the minority are going to ruin things for the majority.
Now don't get me started on the speed restrictions on the water !!!
:Angry:

Take nothing but photo,s leave nothing , but footprints. That is the code i adopt :thumb:

Jan & Simonne

Free Member
Oct 4, 2009
the Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 514SL
I have read this thread very carefully and I have to say it doesn't make me very happy.
In six weeks we will be coming over to Scotland (first time) for a seven-week holiday.
We never go to campsites, we always camp in the wild.
We never leave rubbish (we even clean up the place when we arrive, because I do not wish to sit in other people's rubbish, also not good for our dog), but...
We cannot take our rubbish home obviously.
We have two cassettes, so we'll be good for a couple of days.
But eventually, we will need a disposal place.
In France we will go to a campsite and pay for the use of their facilities. We do not want to stay overnight, after emptying and filling our tanks, we move on.
Is that possible in Scotland? If not, why? It would be a big help.
In general I can say that this problem also exists in Europe. I have seen many times behaviour that cannot be allowed.
And this is not a matter of nationality, I have seen filthy Dutch, Germans, French, Italians and even people from England:winky:.
So, here's my question: what can we do? Are there public toilets we can use to empty our cassettes? Can we go on campsites and pay for the use of the facilities?
Where do we go to??
We are looking forward to this vacation, we spend hours on the internet to look up nice places to visit and things to do. Seven weeks won't be enough, I'm afraid:roflmto:.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Jan and simonne

The c&cc let you use their facilities for a few hours for a small charge not sure how much but can shower and use chem toilet.

Dont let the post put you off if as you sound are sensible you will be fine wild camping in scotland a couple of months ago we stayed at LL and the local police even came over and sat and had a chat with us told us where to get water and a few places to park up must have been the cuppa i offered him lol.

Gerry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just come back from 2 weeks in Scotland: Skye, the Isles of Harris and Lewis, and a bit of the west coast. We didn't stay on one campsite. We used parking areas, places out of the way, quiet bays etc. Part of this was due to necessity as in some of the places we were, there weren't any campsites. Some people won’t agree with what we do/did, others will, you need to do as you see fit.

For water we found that many community halls etc have external taps, and you can also ask at some of the more major outdoor 'attractions' you visit too who are usually happy to let you top up, such as ruins of castles etc. We are quite frugal with our water so even when we did top up, we didn't put in loads.

For toilet waste we used public toilets, leaving it smelling nice and sweet and clean afterwards, when asking attendants there wasn't a problem so long as we left it clean (which we obviously did ... especially fun when one day the toilet flush was broken ... cue a couple of buckets of water!!!). We found it better to aim to empty it every couple of days so that it didn't build up to be a big job and if we didn't find somewhere for a day, we still had spare capacity so we were not having to cross our legs ... one day it got a bit tooooooo close for comfort and I've never been so happy to see a toilet block loom into view!!!:Blush: When possible, we used public loos rather than the van loo.

For grey waste, as we don't use nasty unfriendly washing up liquids and never put food or grease down the sink, we didn't feel guilty about letting this drain in a suitable location where it wouldn’t do any harm.

Rubbish - this was one of the most awkward things, not wanting to stuff the public bins with it, we kept it until we could either recycle it in the appropriate containers, or until we saw large public disposal bins for the purpose (the big green ones on wheels).

The locals were friendly and some told us where we could get water etc and places to stop for the night.

Enjoy ... may the weather be with you!!!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back