Irresponsible Wild Camping at Loch Lomond

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by scotjimland, Feb 8, 2010.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Camping byelaws for bonny banks

New byelaws could prevent people from camping in certain areas on the shores of Loch Lomond.

The legislation, proposed by the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park, is designed to tackle the impact of "irresponsible camping".

Full Story

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Once again the irresponsible spoil things for the responsible.

I have every sympathy for the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Authority, who have to look after the interests of everyone not just those who wish to camp (whether responsibly or not).

Graham

3. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

This has been on the cards for some time,
    Used to boat on Loch Lomond until a couple of years ago, the main reason we stopped visiting had nothing to do with the new Park Authority, our best of days usually included a bbq on some island or a secluded shore beach but gradually the amount of filth left behind by some put us off.
    The authority try their best and organise clean ups etc. but with the number of morons taking to the outdoors they are fighting against it.
    As is usual the minority are going to ruin things for the majority.
    Now don't get me started on the speed restrictions on the water !!!
    :Angry:

4. scotjimland

It's no wonder that many councils are reluctant to set up facilities for MHs when they see or read about how some people behave.

Only last year when I was visiting Loch Lomond I witnessed a guy, parked up at the loch near Balloch, dumping a cassette in the trees only yards from the shore.. it was only Jan's intervention that stopped me having a word ..

The same thing has happened all along the Spanish costas, Morocco has also clamped down on wild campers .. I'm afraid it's not just a minority ..

5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Had a week at the CCC site at Luss Loch Lomond in October last year. The signs of those idiots were plain to see as we walked the shores. We don't wild camp but feel for the responsible people that do. Such a shame that another freedom will be lost due to those scum. :Angry:

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I fear you're right Jim. I was going to put "irresponsible few" in my earlier post but deleted the word "few" before posting.

Graham

7. scotjimland

Anyone who is wild camping faces the problem of waste disposal.. he has to either find a public facility or dump it illegally, public toilets are few and far between in the wilds.

If there was a network of aires with proper facilities the illegal dumping would be vastly reduced, many 'wilders' in France use aires as a pit stop.

Scotland is Europe's last great wilderness, it would be a shame if motorhomes were hounded and banned from over nighting in the wild... but it will happen if aires are not provided.

8. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

Apart from chemical toilets, I am just wondering how they decide who has dropped all this litter

Car drivers, van drivers, motorhome drivers, lorry drivers, ?????

9. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Maybe stricter penalties would work for littering etc but the problem would be catching them. I saw a program the other week where the cops were on Lomond catching people taking drugs on the islands. Lomond is easy to get to from Glasgow and I think a lot of youths go up there, get off their faces and I guess some misbehave. As for the guy dumping a cassette in the water well you should have pushed his face in it. There is no excuse for that. Nowhere and certainly in that area is that far from a loo. Even in the far highlands you will find somewhere with a bit of planning or with a little effort dig a hole and bury it.

We will never get Aires here because we can’t be trusted to be civilized like the rest of Europe, I.e. the French.

10. scotjimland

Very good point, no doubt a combination .. however, not many lorry and van/car drivers stop all night and set up camp ..

Inspectors or park rangers will more than likely have taken pictures and notes, and in all probability the local residents have complained about over nighters in the car parks and lay bys.

As in my previous post, a lack of facilities combined with an ever increasing number of motorhomes is the problem

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I appreciate the sentiment but wonder how practical it would be to try to set up a network of aires in such a remote location. In towns there are often existing car parks which could be used and there are always water and sewerage facilities - but, as you say Jim, such facilities are few and far between in the wilds.

There is an argument that anyone wishing to camp off site should ensure that he is able to access a dumping point before visiting a particular area, rather than be caught out.

I wonder if there is another reason - that there are simply not enough people (compared to the "motorhome population" as a whole) who actually want aire facilities in the UK. When threads like this are raised it seems that very few of us are actually interested enough to contribute to them and very, very few people come forward and say that they have made approaches to local authorities aimed at provision of aires.

Graham

12. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

Local residents being the campsite and hotel owners who would rather be collecting money from them?

13. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Aires in the UK

Right Graham. Say no more. I will get a letter off to Leeds City Council tomorrow. If we all do it, we might be heard.

14. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have to agree with this Jim, I have witnessed some disgusting behavior.

The worst offenders, and this is from personal observation, are the French, and that amazes me because France such a clean country from what I have seen.

Doug...

15. scotjimland

Wild Camping in the National Park

[​IMG]

16. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

The warden based at the information centre Tarbet (National Parks) is a friend. I was talking with him only a few weeks ago on a tour to Scotland. He told me that Motorhomers are NOT the problem. The biggest offenders are youths from Glasgow who camp in tents, leave a real mess, (beer cans a speciality) and even leave cheap tents behind, because they can't be bothered to dismantle them. He was quick to point out that motorhomers respect his signs that ask that people take their rubbish home and not use his bins (rubbish collection being one of his biggest overheads)
    I got the impression that our efforts to wild clean are being recognised.

17. chewy

chewy Read Only Funster

Can't agree more ..I suppose you could say this is commonsense...

18. scotjimland

That is certainly encouraging, and nowhere in the report are motorhomes mentioned, let alone singled out for special attention, however, if the new regulations are brought in it will give the Rangers the power to move on anyone stopping overnight on the highway, be it a beat up tranny van or 50k motorhome.

We used to call them hooligans, they came by train from Glasgow to Balloch, barely 30 mins away, with cheap tents and even cheaper wine.. and camped close to Balloch on the west bank, within staggering distance from the local watering holes.. I suppose nowadays they have private transport so can now reach further into the park.. hence the issue.

19. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Following on from my earlier post, mentioned my boating days on the Loch, motorhomers are in my opinion not a problem. Neither are backpackers,walkers, climbers and all lovers of the outdoors.
    What we are all up against is (an old fashioned term) RIFF RAFF.
    As has already been said Neds mainly from Glasgow do the outdoor thing, drink, drugs and anything else they care.
    And a word of advice if you witness any of the aforesaid, think twice about getting involved, a lot of the big boys from the Glasgow scene party around the loch, some with boats costing over 100k, top of the range Range Rovers but at the end of the day nasty little tikes.
    :Angry:

20. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Cassette Dumping

We are reluctant to dump in regular loos as there is usually a bit of an odour and we don't want to upset the non-motorhoming populace. BUT we like our wildcamping trips.

We found a seller on Ebay who is selling keys to gain access to the RADAR disabled loos.

Their advert uses quotes from 'govt sources' which say anyone can have one of their keys.

Purchased a shopping trolley big enough to carry the cassette and we are set.

Can pay a visit with 'our shopping', take an air freshner with us, and leave everything clean and tidy and sweet smelling.