camperkennel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2013
North NOrfolk
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We are planning a 5 week trip to Ireland in the Autumn with our two border collies in our low profile Starfire. We like to wild camp and use small sites, and have no itinerary yet.....oh and we avoid very steep hills following a bit of an embarrassing refusal on The Isle of Mull. Anyone got any advice please? :RollEyes:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I hate shopping dont know how you can spend so long in one shop:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Dick Turpin Ferries Ltd. !!!

We were thinking of a trip to the Emerald Isle until we saw the ferry prices !!:Eeek:

To Ireland (Rosslare)........£350 !!:Doh:

To France ( Calais ) ........ £65 !!!:Cool

Both return fares !!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sites in Ireland are not cheap at 28 ish euros so wild camping is probably a good idea BUT many layby's have height barriers to keep the Itinerants out who are all over here now :Eeek:
A beautiful country with lovely friendly helpful people :thumb::thumb:
We recently had 3 weeks over there , smashing :thumb:
Dont miss Ring of Kerry and a run around Lough Dergh , bootiful :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
its not so funny with my glasses on as I thought it said Iceland:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

spotsy

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
Sites in Ireland are not cheap at 28 ish euros so wild camping is probably a good idea BUT many layby's have height barriers to keep the Itinerants out who are all over here now :Eeek:
A beautiful country with lovely friendly helpful people :thumb::thumb:
We recently had 3 weeks over there , smashing :thumb:
Dont miss Ring of Kerry and a run around Lough Dergh , bootiful :thumb:
Hi Larry,
I will be touring Ireland for the first time (mid May ) and would like to visit the ring of Kerry so can you advise please " are there wild camping places en route and the route is motorhome friendly ie width etc." I also believe you have to drive anti clockwise en route. My reason for tour is that I will be on a ancestry search which includes Valencia Island then on to Achill, Co Mayo. Any advice will be appreciated.

Brian:RollEyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hiya Brian

We stopped on a nice site at Glenbeigh with nice views to Dingle Bay, pleasant village with a couple of pubs .
We had our car with us so circled the ring, anti clockwise, with no problem.
It is very tight in places but coaches do it so with care you should be ok.
The Irish very friendly and helpful, always time to chat :thumb:

Can't help with wild camping but I would think its possible although lay-bys generally have height barriers.

Have a great trip

PS it's the € over there :winky:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We found an excellent little site at Castletownbere Golf Club - only small, about 6 pitches, overlooking Bantry Bay. It cost 1E per night in 2011 with Daily Mirror(?) campsite vouchers, but at current prices still good value. Perhaps our favourite site was the Oratory Campsite at Gallarus in Kerry (the Dingle), lovely walks, interesting ancient Oratory, strange birds, good cycling!

Catherine

spotsy

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
Hi again Larry,
Thanks for info' my wife Linda and I looking forward to tour. :thumb:

Brian

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Dancing

Hi.
If you stop over at Glenbeigh,(Mentioned above),go to the pub just down the road on the right,dance night. There is a "Colleen" who will give you a spin on the dance floor,make sure you have a tight hold,if you don't,you will be thrown out of the window. Good pub,food and music,i for one will be going back.While down that way,drive onto "Inch" beach,magic.
Tea Bag

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.
If you stop over at Glenbeigh,(Mentioned above),go to the pub just down the road on the right,dance night. There is a "Colleen" who will give you a spin on the dance floor,make sure you have a tight hold,if you don't,you will be thrown out of the window. Good pub,food and music,i for one will be going back.While down that way,drive onto "Inch" beach,magic.
Tea Bag

Aw shucks, I missed a tight hold on a Colleen, now I'm disappointed :Sad:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We were thinking of a trip to the Emerald Isle until we saw the ferry prices !!:Eeek:

To Ireland (Rosslare)........£350 !!:Doh:

To France ( Calais ) ........ £65 !!!:Cool

Both return fares !!!

Catch the ferry to France then go Cherbourg - Rosslare :ROFLMAO:

Obviously we took the Cherbourg ferry then came back Larne to Scotland . The Larne to Scotland crossing was twice the price if our crossing from France and the French crossing was 19 hours !!

We found Ireland expensive but that was 2011

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We did a 5 weeks trip to Ireland last year (early August to early September) and thoroughly enjoyed it, we wild camped all the time, not a problem, found some lovely places to stop. We found that 5 weeks was a bit too long really, 4 would have been ideal.

We'd done a 3 week trip in 2011 and that time did Stranraer/Belfast as we wanted to more of the 'northern half' of the country.

Last year we did Holyhead/Dublin, out with Stena Line and back with Irish Ferries, and used Tesco vouchers towards the cost of the crossings. We wanted to do more of the 'southern half' so that was the reason however we still ended up going round the top coast too as we found we had so much time on our hands although we gave the Giant's causeway etc a miss as we'd been twice before.

If it wasn't for the cost of the crossing I would probably go every year as I really, really enjoyed it - the people are lovely and despite what has been said we actually saw very few height barriers.

If you're looking to do a lot of wild camping I can probably put together details of where we stayed.

Oh, as for the Ring of Kerry .... personally we've done it twice before and found it a bit hyped up, there are kilometres and kilometres of bumpy (very, very potholed!) and boring road as lots of the trees/vegetation has grown up so you don't see that much of the views until you're at least a quarter of the way round or more. We found some of the other peninsulas much more special and spectacular ... and quieter as the coaches can't go round them!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Might be worth joining the motorcaravan club £175 return with nutt travel http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...bPOxOwLroRS0P-AasMLbwPg&bvm=bv.60444564,d.ZG4

Yup, details here of the cheapest days to travel:

Broken Link Removed

Details of the MCC:

motorcaravanners

One other benefit of going to Ireland instead of France is that you do NOT have to pay for your pets to travel OR visit a vet (they still needs to have a passport though). For us with 3 dogs this saves at least £120!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Being from Ireland (Kath) and consider that Kerry is God's country I can highly recommend it. We travel over regularly and its worth asking for discounts - we always end up going with Stena Line as it seems to be the cheapest. If you are in the Caravan Club there is a discount so worth getting. Although its slightly more its worth getting a flexible ticket as you can then change without restriction - we had to stay an extra week last year as I got the flu:cry:

As Larrywin says good campsite at Glenbeigh although saying that we always 'wild' on a relatives driveway:RollEyes: Plenty of wild camping places and as long as you dont abuse the facilities then people are very welcoming.

There is a new driving route now called the "Wild Atlantic Way" and it is worth looking it up. However if it suggests to go around the "Skellig Ring" I would not advise it in a motorhome. There is a section of about two/three miles where it is very narrow with passing places plus that very bit is VERY steep and even in the car you can feel the engine working hard to pull up the hill.

The Ring of Kerry is generally driven in anticlockwise direction as most of the big traffic goes that way. However its not really a problem except for an area between Waterville and Sneem where sections are very narrow and the pot holes resemble tank traps.

On Valentia itself the main road across the bridge at Port Magee is ok and if you follow the main road to Knightstown thats ok. The other roads are very narrow with passing places but on saying that its usually not too busy except in the height of summer.

On Valentia itself you must visit the slate mines and also a private viewing spot which on a fine day has got the most fantastic views of the Skellighs, Blaskets, Dingle Peninsula, Carantouhil (Irelands highest mountain) and lots more. I will need to find the name of the place as it is somewhere in the MH!

As others have said its worth joining motorhome craic although there are not very many regular posts on there it does have good information.

Kath and Howie

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
We found an excellent little site at Castletownbere Golf Club - only small, about 6 pitches, overlooking Bantry Bay. It cost 1E per night in 2011 with Daily Mirror(?) campsite vouchers, but at current prices still good value. Perhaps our favourite site was the Oratory Campsite at Gallarus in Kerry (the Dingle), lovely walks, interesting ancient Oratory, [HI]strange birds[/HI], good cycling!

Catherine

Gosh, Dawn & the rest of the forum sisterhood, certainly get noticed:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just managed to find this thread........great!:thumb:

We are planning to get the ferry across to Belfast and then do a tour which must include Co. Mayo, Ring of Kerry, Tralee and lots of other places. We will go for the whole of May, so thanks for all these helpful posts/links on here. Will take time to go through them and all the links later on......as someone said ferry costs from Cairn Ryan to Belfast are high, the cheapest one we've found for May is between £198 - £207 (return). Booking through the Caravan Club and depends on when you travel.

We've been on the same CL south of Edinburgh for 2 weeks now, really must get home:Doh:

Margaret

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
We'll be arriving in Dublin at about 5am on 8th May, and heading straight for Galway and the West Coast. We too will be travelling south for Dingle and the Ring of Kerry ....may see some of you! Our funster sticker is clearly visible in the windscreen ...

M

Madwife

Deleted User
You can park up in Galway beside the docks as it's like an Aire. You can get elec hook up and payment is via token/card available at shop on quayside. Make sure you are parked up in the correct area as one area is notorious for being wheel clamped. If you are heading for Connemara can highly recommend Actons Eco camping near Clifden. It is worth the drive and all the potholes etc as it's one if the best places to stay in Ireland. Kris and his wife are so helpful and relaxed and it's a pleasure to stay there.

For places in Kerry you can see my recommendations in an earlier post.

Enjoy :Smile:

Kath

Frenchkriss

Free Member
May 26, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
stopovers in Ireland

hi everybody
any tips for good one night stopovers in Ireland + must places (people don't know but worth visiting)
We've been told narrow roads can a problems for motor homes : right or wrong ?

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Ireland

Just come back from Ireland.
2 places to stay overnight I can recommend.

Donegal Quay, near tourist office. Small parking charge in the day. Free at night.

Howth Harbour. Station nearby for trains to Dublin. Good fish resteraunts nearby.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back