Ireland Tour

Discussion in 'N Irelend & Eire' started by camperkennel, Jun 23, 2013.

1. camperkennel

camperkennel Read Only Funster

We are planning a 5 week trip to Ireland in the Autumn with our two border collies in our low profile Starfire. We like to wild camp and use small sites, and have no itinerary yet.....oh and we avoid very steep hills following a bit of an embarrassing refusal on The Isle of Mull. Anyone got any advice please? :RollEyes:

2. will2020

will2020 Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I hate shopping dont know how you can spend so long in one shop:Rofl1:

4. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Dick Turpin Ferries Ltd. !!!

We were thinking of a trip to the Emerald Isle until we saw the ferry prices !!:Eeek:

To Ireland (Rosslare)........£350 !!:Doh:

To France ( Calais ) ........ £65 !!!:Cool

Both return fares !!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Sites in Ireland are not cheap at 28 ish euros so wild camping is probably a good idea BUT many layby's have height barriers to keep the Itinerants out who are all over here now :Eeek:
    A beautiful country with lovely friendly helpful people :thumb::thumb:
    We recently had 3 weeks over there , smashing :thumb:
    Dont miss Ring of Kerry and a run around Lough Dergh , bootiful :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

its not so funny with my glasses on as I thought it said Iceland:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  7. spotsy

spotsy Read Only Funster

Hi Larry,
    I will be touring Ireland for the first time (mid May ) and would like to visit the ring of Kerry so can you advise please " are there wild camping places en route and the route is motorhome friendly ie width etc." I also believe you have to drive anti clockwise en route. My reason for tour is that I will be on a ancestry search which includes Valencia Island then on to Achill, Co Mayo. Any advice will be appreciated.

Brian:RollEyes:

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hiya Brian

We stopped on a nice site at Glenbeigh with nice views to Dingle Bay, pleasant village with a couple of pubs .
    We had our car with us so circled the ring, anti clockwise, with no problem.
    It is very tight in places but coaches do it so with care you should be ok.
    The Irish very friendly and helpful, always time to chat :thumb:

Can't help with wild camping but I would think its possible although lay-bys generally have height barriers.

Have a great trip

PS it's the € over there :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Viennese

Viennese Funster

We found an excellent little site at Castletownbere Golf Club - only small, about 6 pitches, overlooking Bantry Bay. It cost 1E per night in 2011 with Daily Mirror(?) campsite vouchers, but at current prices still good value. Perhaps our favourite site was the Oratory Campsite at Gallarus in Kerry (the Dingle), lovely walks, interesting ancient Oratory, strange birds, good cycling!

Catherine

• Like Like x 2
  10. spotsy

spotsy Read Only Funster

Hi again Larry,
    Thanks for info' my wife Linda and I looking forward to tour. :thumb:

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Dancing

Hi.
    If you stop over at Glenbeigh,(Mentioned above),go to the pub just down the road on the right,dance night. There is a "Colleen" who will give you a spin on the dance floor,make sure you have a tight hold,if you don't,you will be thrown out of the window. Good pub,food and music,i for one will be going back.While down that way,drive onto "Inch" beach,magic.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 3
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Aw shucks, I missed a tight hold on a Colleen, now I'm disappointed :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  13. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Catch the ferry to France then go Cherbourg - Rosslare :Rofl1:

Obviously we took the Cherbourg ferry then came back Larne to Scotland . The Larne to Scotland crossing was twice the price if our crossing from France and the French crossing was 19 hours !!

We found Ireland expensive but that was 2011

14. Busman

Busman Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We did a 5 weeks trip to Ireland last year (early August to early September) and thoroughly enjoyed it, we wild camped all the time, not a problem, found some lovely places to stop. We found that 5 weeks was a bit too long really, 4 would have been ideal.

We'd done a 3 week trip in 2011 and that time did Stranraer/Belfast as we wanted to more of the 'northern half' of the country.

Last year we did Holyhead/Dublin, out with Stena Line and back with Irish Ferries, and used Tesco vouchers towards the cost of the crossings. We wanted to do more of the 'southern half' so that was the reason however we still ended up going round the top coast too as we found we had so much time on our hands although we gave the Giant's causeway etc a miss as we'd been twice before.

If it wasn't for the cost of the crossing I would probably go every year as I really, really enjoyed it - the people are lovely and despite what has been said we actually saw very few height barriers.

If you're looking to do a lot of wild camping I can probably put together details of where we stayed.

Oh, as for the Ring of Kerry .... personally we've done it twice before and found it a bit hyped up, there are kilometres and kilometres of bumpy (very, very potholed!) and boring road as lots of the trees/vegetation has grown up so you don't see that much of the views until you're at least a quarter of the way round or more. We found some of the other peninsulas much more special and spectacular ... and quieter as the coaches can't go round them!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Yup, details here of the cheapest days to travel:

nutttravel

Details of the MCC:

motorcaravanners

One other benefit of going to Ireland instead of France is that you do NOT have to pay for your pets to travel OR visit a vet (they still needs to have a passport though). For us with 3 dogs this saves at least £120!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Being from Ireland (Kath) and consider that Kerry is God's country I can highly recommend it. We travel over regularly and its worth asking for discounts - we always end up going with Stena Line as it seems to be the cheapest. If you are in the Caravan Club there is a discount so worth getting. Although its slightly more its worth getting a flexible ticket as you can then change without restriction - we had to stay an extra week last year as I got the flu:cry:

As Larrywin says good campsite at Glenbeigh although saying that we always 'wild' on a relatives driveway:RollEyes: Plenty of wild camping places and as long as you dont abuse the facilities then people are very welcoming.

There is a new driving route now called the "Wild Atlantic Way" and it is worth looking it up. However if it suggests to go around the "Skellig Ring" I would not advise it in a motorhome. There is a section of about two/three miles where it is very narrow with passing places plus that very bit is VERY steep and even in the car you can feel the engine working hard to pull up the hill.

The Ring of Kerry is generally driven in anticlockwise direction as most of the big traffic goes that way. However its not really a problem except for an area between Waterville and Sneem where sections are very narrow and the pot holes resemble tank traps.

On Valentia itself the main road across the bridge at Port Magee is ok and if you follow the main road to Knightstown thats ok. The other roads are very narrow with passing places but on saying that its usually not too busy except in the height of summer.

On Valentia itself you must visit the slate mines and also a private viewing spot which on a fine day has got the most fantastic views of the Skellighs, Blaskets, Dingle Peninsula, Carantouhil (Irelands highest mountain) and lots more. I will need to find the name of the place as it is somewhere in the MH!

As others have said its worth joining motorhome craic although there are not very many regular posts on there it does have good information.

Kath and Howie

• Like Like x 4
  18. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Gosh, Dawn & the rest of the forum sisterhood, certainly get noticed:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Risteard

Risteard Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 3
  20. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just managed to find this thread........great!:thumb:

We are planning to get the ferry across to Belfast and then do a tour which must include Co. Mayo, Ring of Kerry, Tralee and lots of other places. We will go for the whole of May, so thanks for all these helpful posts/links on here. Will take time to go through them and all the links later on......as someone said ferry costs from Cairn Ryan to Belfast are high, the cheapest one we've found for May is between £198 - £207 (return). Booking through the Caravan Club and depends on when you travel.

We've been on the same CL south of Edinburgh for 2 weeks now, really must get home:Doh:

Margaret

• Like Like x 1