Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are off to Ireland for the whole of September and would like to know if there are any decent campsites there, we dont wildcamp as we would not sleep being too worried about what might happen!!!:RollEyes:
We also think that as we dont have to worry about the cost too much why do it anyway and sleep with no worries in a camp site!!:Cool:
We are going ffrom Holyhead on Anglesy with the dog and also would like to know if you have to get anything like you have to get when you go abroad like a triangle high visibility jackets and spare bulbs and the like and do you nee to have dog passport up to date anything like that would be helpful, we have never been abroad and might try it this winter after reading most of you guys enjoying yourselves over there making em especially sick as a parrot when reading about the weather you are getting:thumb:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
No dog passport needed.
If coming over to the west coast try Westport House they have a campsite in the grounds also a pub that does meals. Might need to check on their website though to see if pub open in Sept.but only a mile oput of town up hill but down hill on the way back!. Old Head near Louisburgh has a campsite at the top of the hill to the beach also pub in the apartmentts (used to be an hotel. There's a campground at Lecanvey (between Westport and Louisburgh) handy walk to a very good pub.

Also Dogs Bay between Clifton and Roundstone in Galway has a basic campsite but beautiful coral beach.
Keel on Achill Island has a basic campground right on the beach and great waves!

Donegal is good surfing country too.

Triangle etc road regs same as UK. The roads have been improved al ot lately so no probs there.
September can be a very good month for weather so fingers crossed for you!
I see you like surfing Louisburgh has a couple of surfing beaches. Pm me nearer the time if your coming this way and I'll give you more details

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Lovely country

Did East coast taking in N Ireland (my home country) then down the West coast a few years ago. Sadly it rained most off the time but enjoyable all the same. Eire is not motorhome friendly and barriers on all beaches and car parks (They say its to keep the gypsies out but they are all here in UK now!) The beaches are fantastic both in the North & South
Dublin is a must and do take a bus tour of the city and take in the Guinness brewery and visit the Giant Causeway and Bushmills whiskey distillery in the North East. There is a CC CL near to Bushmills.
Belfast and Londonderry do tours of the areas involved in the "Troubles" which are good also but you can walk around Derry's walls and take in the views.
I had a book on sites incl Caravan club sites but seemed to have mislaid it but lots of sites out there. Go for it and have great time:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Remember if you shop in Tesco's you maybe able to trade in points for discount on the ferries.

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
There aren't many campsites over here.
I've personally only stayed in a few, but there are some more listed here :

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks.html

I particularly liked this one, in Kerry, http://www.killarneycamping.com/

Others I could recommend would be:
Ballina, Co. Mayo : http://www.belleekpark.com/

Castlebar, CO. Mayo : http://www.loughlannagh.ie/

and last place I stayed in Northern Ireland, near Drumaheglis, near Ballymoney ..
http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Drumaheglis-Marina-Caravan-Park-Ballymoney-P7561

As someone said already, most of the lay-by's and a lot of the car parks in towns have height barriers, but you will always find a spot to park, eventually :Smile:

Hope that helps, and enjoy your trip. :Smile:

obclonolea

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
Funster No
The Glen of Aherlow Caravan and Camping Park is a very nice Park, its open all year and is an affiliated site of the Caravan Club. I can certainly recommend it.

Web: www.tipperarycamping.com

Email: rdrew@eircom.net

GPS: N52.419981 W08.187867

broms

Free Member
Jun 16, 2010
Funster No
concur with Sue1959's post all of the places listed are stunning especially Keel on Achill Island one of the nicest places in the Republic. Bellmullet is worth a look as well. You can park on Gallway prom (Salthill_ with no issues and you wont be moved on either.

Enjoy you lucky things!

Phil

Bubbles

Free Member
Feb 21, 2010
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rushin House Caravan Park in Belcoo, Co Fermanagh is also a gorgeous lakeside setting. Only open a few yrs but all mod cons and very nice owners.

Happy Hols

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Remember if you shop in Tesco's you maybe able to trade in points for discount on the ferries.

Thanks Sue thats exactly what I have done It cost us the grand sum of £4 just to make up the difference, would have been £314 otherwise which I think is a bit steep considering the cost of going to Farnce

Thanks to all of you guys for all the suggestions ...any more keep em coming I am keeping all the replies and then looking at them again just before we go:thumb:

sutton133

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One year
Trish-n-Tez

Can confirm Sue's advice that pet passport not required between Ireland and UK. We acquired our Patterdale from Mayo two years ago and checked it out thoroughly.

Regards

Graham & Marian

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Check out this Irish campsite review site Link Removed - . (Hope I don't get into trouble here for mentioning it). There are several regular posters that will give advice and suggestions. Personally, I like Rathdrum (Wicklow), Casey in Dungarvan (Waterford) and Woodlands in Tralee (Kerry).

Dublin is a bit devoid of campsites, but there is one on the western outskirts (Camac), although I've never stopped in it being only up the road from home.

Traffic in September in towns will be busy at school run times (we teach our kids to drive at a young age it seems), but the main roads have improved lately. Several of the newer roads are now toll roads, but not too expensive as Motorhomes are classed as cars (or at least they are according to the companies running them). Diesel is now at €1.25 or thereabouts, and so far, we don't have any rest-stops on motorways - so make sure you have a full tank or you'll be pulling off them to find a refuel spot.

Hope you enjoy the trip - and wave!

Last edited:

Wildrover

Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
R.O.I
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Autotrail Arap
Exp
We are off to Ireland for the whole of September and would like to know if there are any decent campsites there, we dont wildcamp as we would not sleep being too worried about what might happen!!!:RollEyes:
We also think that as we dont have to worry about the cost too much why do it anyway and sleep with no worries in a camp site!!:Cool:
We are going ffrom Holyhead on Anglesy with the dog and also would like to know if you have to get anything like you have to get when you go abroad like a triangle high visibility jackets and spare bulbs and the like and do you nee to have dog passport up to date anything like that would be helpful, we have never been abroad and might try it this winter after reading most of you guys enjoying yourselves over there making em especially sick as a parrot when reading about the weather you are getting:thumb:
:Smile:::bigsmile::RollEyes::thumb:relax ireland is chillsville regulations are usually ignoredie pub customer to publican when do you close he replies when you leave ,
campsites a bit expensive 20 25 euros and only ok,
now rteally is the time to go wild in lots of ways i always wild camp and virtually any where is good to wild camp if you e mail me i can tell you where to go ,i am new to this site so not sure how to send you a message direct but along south up west across north is lovely ok for now enjoy irish reg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back