Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Having just done weekends with our van so far in October we embark on our first tour which will be to Scotland. During Easter 2016 we plan to go to Ireland, and advice on places to visit with kids and what ferry crossing to take.

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
First of all you will get great value for your pound.
Look up the 'wild Atlantic way' for a route idea.
Campsites are about 20 euro a night for camper and two adults.not all campsites are open at easter.
Lots of height barriers in car parks but wild camping can be done.google is your friend.
Ferry is dear_400euro.very little competition.
Ferry points are Fishguard> dublin,Holyhead>rosslare.straenraer>Belfast
On phone at the minute but a irish website I would recommend is motorhomecraic.com.lots of info there.
Failteireland is the Irish website equivalent of visit Britain
Hope this helps

Deleted User
We have literally just returned from Ireland having done the wild atlantic way from the south up to Donegal. We did Scotland last year and much preferred it, in fact after 4 weeks I would have went back around for another 4 weeks. We actually came back from Ireland a week early but partly because we rushed it by trying to do the whole WAW in 3 weeks which meant a lot of driving to the point I was sick of it as the roads aren't great. Weather was great though. There are a lot of height barriers and not a lot of campsites but we found that there were lots of small slip ways that you could camp at and plenty of beaches. I dont know if that would work for kids though.
Also got to say Ireland doesn't seem to aloow dogs to walk on any sort of farmland whether on leads or not.
Sorry it sounds so negative, I will look at the map tomorrow and give you my highlights.

p.s. Dont miss out Dumfries and Galway either when in Scotland or coming back from Ireland. Killoughtree visitor centre just East of Newtoin Stewart was a wild overnight spot for us and it is a dark skies place and the stars were amazing. It also has walks, playground, mountain bike rides.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Sorry about the delay in replying.

Referring to the "Discovery points" on the Wild Atlantic Way, the good/bad things were

Old head of Kinsale - Pointless as you cant get to it as it is now a posh private golf course with a guard though there is a restored watchtower/museum near the headland.
Mizen head - Lighthouse on a headland that you cross a footbridge to get too. Old Marconi radio station as well. Well worth a visit. Good place to overnight as carpark is huge.
Dursey point - This is the island with the cable car to it. We didn't cross as we had dogs but looks a worthwhile experience. Cant stay overnight at the cablecar. We stayed about two miles away in Garnish bay overnight but at the slip just as you enter the town rather than the harbour at the other end of town. The slip has a beautiful beach and toilets/water with donation box.
Ring of Kerry/Bray Head - We did this anti-clockwise as suggested which did mean repeating part of it but would have missed the Killarney National park otherwise. We walked out to Bray Head which is about a 45 minute round trip and the car park could be used for overnighting. The nearby town of Portmagee is where you get the boat to the Skellig island which is the ancient monastic site(UNESCO) which we couldn't do as we had the dogs but it is meant to be really worth visiting.
Blaskets view/Loop head - we skipped this as needed a rest from narrow/rough roads and the description didn't expire me.
Cliff of Moher - Parked at visitor centre which charged for parking but included entrance ticket though not sure you needed an entrance ticket as footpath through it. It is very popular with foreigners. The views were OK but we stayed at the campsite in Doolin which is just north and walking the footpath gives much very views of the scale of the cliffs.
We passed straight through Galway as towns don't do it for me but my Irish friends say it is worth a visit.
Derrygimlagh - Didn't take the side road to it so cant comment.
Killary Harbour - Nice drive along the water edge. There are falls at the end but not that large/impressive.
Westport - Not one of the discovery points but worth staying at the campsite at Westport house. Short walk to the harbour for restaurants/pubs. There is a theme park as part of the house but wasn't open when we were there.
Keem Bay - skipped
Downpatrick Head - Huge cliffs and a new free small visitor centre that highlights a whole in the cliff. Sea stack off the edge of the cliffs. Stayed overnight here.
Mullaghmore Head- Nice village and lovely beach which looked very safe. Fishing trip run from the harbour and they had an international fishing competition while we were there. The parking along the front says no overnight parking but I talked to another motorhomer who had stayed there lots and there were actually 12 motorhomes who stayed overnight.
Donegal - Again not a discovery point. Park in the harbour right next to town. 3 euros for 24 hours and overnight parking allowed so perfect for seeing the town and getting out for food/beer though no services. Some people actually base themselves here and explore during the day.
We headed across to Larne from here rather than finishing the Wild Atlantic way.

I would have stayed in more campsites particularly if next to a pub/restaurant but there just aren't that many. Remember drink driving limit is half that of England so one pint will put you over the limit.

Let me know if you want any more information.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Ferry not that expensive.
I paid £99 each way.
Can be even cheaper If you travel from Scotland to Belfast!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_2015-09-29-09-01-08.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Northern ireland
Funster No
MH
C class kontiki
Exp
4 years
Sinbad missed nearly all the best bits oops!!! Dingle blaskets out of this world ...Gallway where else can you park up at the marina in the middle town go out in a foody drinky party town and stagger to your van. And free.....keem the most amazing beech stay over night and be one of the most westerly and if your lucky you'll find yourself a amethyst or two find the secret lake?...we say you have to have the right achiletude yes the roads are wee but that makes things slow down so you can enjoy more.!! .... then missing the north coast and the antrim coast a sin ... ireland is lovely don't rush it..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back