Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We are off to the USA next week any wifee really fancies an iPhone which are much cheaper in the USA than here.

Does anyone know if I buy a USA iPhone will it be sim free and work ok here in the UK??

Or is it possible to get the new iPhone unlocked for any network yet??

Thanks as always :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dazzer, you can get them unlocked, but there are stories that apple sometimes locks them again on updates. Where I live we cannot get O2 so a few people have unlocked them and use an Orange sim, they seem to have no problems. As for a Yank phone working here, I am sure it will, but only 99% sure::bigsmile:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I believe in the states the iphone is locked to AT&T but if you can unlock them from O2 then I guess you can probably unlock them from AT&T as well :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Yes an unlocked Iphone will work here BUT do not attempt to update it from I tunes or it will be relocked. If that happens you can download an unlock programme for £20. I have just done mine and it is fairly straightforward but not neccessary if you don't try to update. The unlocked phone will not have access to EDGE network.

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Mine is unlocked to Orange network , works fine with Edge when surfing. A few of the apps will not work with it and picture messaging doesnt work,

Mark

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
IMO, it would be best to buy in the UK on Pay As You Go from O2.
Update's add extra features, eg. Cut, Copy, Paste on OS 3.0, which was not available on previous versions of the OS.
There are also warranty issues on unlocked phone's.
Applications have to be downloaded from iTunes, unless you are prepared to Jailbreak the phone and that opens up a whole new can of worms.
I think that £440.00 for the new 3G (S) is pretty good value as it also includes 12 months free internet in the UK, with a £20 pm initial top up.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IMO, it would be best to buy in the UK on Pay As You Go from O2.
Update's add extra features, eg. Cut, Copy, Paste on OS 3.0, which was not available on previous versions of the OS.
There are also warranty issues on unlocked phone's.
Applications have to be downloaded from iTunes, unless you are prepared to Jailbreak the phone and that opens up a whole new can of worms.
I think that £440.00 for the new 3G (S) is pretty good value as it also includes 12 months free internet in the UK, with a £20 pm initial top up.

Pete:Cool:

Makes good sense to me, messing about with an expensive phone may lead to tears .. :cry:

As per the other topic on dongle unlocking, you can get an o2 iPhone sim on ebay with a years FREE internet for about £6 + £10 top up .. :thumb:

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back