lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi There just got Sophie and iphone. Before anyone comments on her having one, i know she is only 14 but she has done brilliant at school this year and want this for her birthday and i think she deserved it.

Anyway back to my question she has data allowance on it so when she is on this and then closes safari does this automatically switch off the data transfer. Its ok at home as she is using wifi but dont want her thinking she has switched it off when she is actually using data.

Thanks
Gerry

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Gerry,

If its the same as my android phone then when the browser is off then there is no data transfer. However you have to make sure that any application that accesses the web e.g. email clients, weather services etc. do not automatically update regularly as this could use up her allowance.

Also don't forget to switch off data when you go to France otherwise she (or should I say you ) will be saddled with large data roaming charges.

John

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Gerry and well done to Sophie. You have to be careful with the IPHONE, you have to make sure that location services for the apps are not on neither as these can use data as well.
When you shut safari down it should stop any data loading.

Also make sure push notifications are off.

And when you go abroad in a few days MAKE SURE YOU TURN DATA ROAMING OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek:

It will cost you a fortune, even better ot leave it at home,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Turn off Data roaming should do it-there are also Apps you can get to do it for you,Apn on/off from Market is one of them.I'm using the one by curve to try it out.

Mike

Ah-I'm using an android phone,not an i-phone dunno if that makes a difference

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replys i am a total numpty when it comes to phone stuff still on a P AS G which i have had for years. I would like to take it with us as it would be good for the wifi but might just leave it at home to be safe.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Where did Sophie get her brains from it must surely come from mums side of the family------before you say out you started it

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
true Alan but at least she has my looks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Gerry,

Push notifications will use a bit of data, but not loads and should be OK in this country. If you have gone through 3 ring them and ask to reduce the spend limit to zero that way if the limit is reached it will prevent additional costs. Other service providers may provide something similar (O2 don't). Most providers will have an app the allow usage. Push notifications does not use too much.

Data roaming can be turned off now and not required unless you wish to use it for data abroad.

When she takes it abroad turn off Cellular data as this will not allow data use. As a precaution also turn off push notifications, location services when abroad and switch 3G off as it will conserve battery and not necessary if you are not using for data.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I am not sure of how it is done on the I phone, as I am on Android. BUT!

You have to TURN OFF background and internet connections when not online. If this isn't done, the phone will automatically update as and when it pleases, without being knowingly online. They call this 'background data/updating.

My other half discovered this when her phone was eating ÂŁ15 a day and she was never online!!

On android there are apps to stop this, (advanced task killer & APNdroid) The task killer prevents unwanted apps draining your battery, and the APNdroid stops any internet connections - this stops the phone updating whilst out.

To access the internet, there is an icon you touch to turn the droid on and off - so easy to use and saves unwanted updating when roaming - you can update of home wireless when you get home! Don't forget to set your home wifi to accept it, or it will use its' own.

I know this is for droids - but there must be similar Apps for the I-Phone!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back